Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA

Mifune was a big proponent of stance training, Kimura also.

Though you would never see them standing in a stance...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Totally.

You will rarely see my standing in a stance either. But I still train them. Although I also train form, and within that training I receive a large portion of my stance conditioning.

Of course, this is just a personal decision.

Also, when I train my basics, stances are included. Punches, Kicks, etc. can all be done in the midst of stance training.

I also have several combinations ive played around with that mixes all of my stances together in a long combination of continuous movment, each stance flowing into the next in repeated loop that trains the large majority of my known stances.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    I also have several combinations ive played around with that mixes all of my stances together in a long combination of continuous movment, each stance flowing into the next in repeated loop that trains the large majority of my known stances.
    which raises questions about your un-known ones...

I think you sais it best a few pages back. What I call stance work and what KF thinks I'm talking about are not the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post

I think you sais it best a few pages back. What I call stance work and what KF thinks I'm talking about are not the same thing.
    Dude, KF and some other guy posted a video of me doing a "short range" Southern Kung fu drill on the heavy bag and critiqued my "boxing" !!

LOL !!!

substanciate please.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    substanciate please.

Balance comes from stances, DYNAMIC stances, not static.
    If you wanna learn how to stand while someone is trying to take you down, you train by, guess what?
    Standing when someone is trying to take you down.
    That is stance work.
    Well you get taken down?
    Yes, less and less as you get better, but eventually yes.
    Its what you do with the time you have while still on your feet that matters.

you don't understand.

Substanciate that Mifune and Kimura were proponents of stance training.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-15-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    Bless you

hey wait a sec. have they been holding out on me??!?!

Ya, I could sense some mis communication on that aspect. The funny thing is that when you mention stance training, most people that dont have an in depth understanding and experience with traditional arts automatically picture the guy standing in horse stance for 45 minutes with bowls of water on his limbs and head.

The other guys that dismiss all aspects of stance training and DO have the experience of traditional arts just never got far enough to understand the benefits of ALL TYPES OF STANCE TRAINING. because there are literally hundreds if not thousands of exersizes used for training how we stand in all the various aspects of combat. Our feet have to move, they must have a foundation to move into, and that foundation must have proper stucture, endurance and strenght for the standing to be of any use in combat.

thus to recieve all the benefits as a human who stands, you must train all the aspects of standing.

rather simple concept....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

you don't understand.

Substanciate the Mifune and Kimura were proponents of stance training.
    Oh for the love of..because my Judo Shihan said so and he was an 8th and trained with both !

there you happy ?

Sheesh.

Of course you can just buy the Canon of judo or Best Judo and "understand' as opposed to "read".

Balance comes from stances, DYNAMIC stances, not static.
    If you wanna learn how to stand while someone is trying to take you down, you train by, guess what?
    That is stance work.
    Well you get taken down?
    Yes, less and less as you get better, but eventually yes.
    Its what you do with the time you have while still on your feet that matters.
    excellent point.

this is, IMO, the most benefitial type of stance training to help us with take down defense. Regarding the aspect of stances helping in take down defense of course.

yet, i feel, that to be able to best understand and get the most out of this type of training. you need a good foundation to pull from.

you have to know how to stand if you want to train your standing to help against take down defense.

it all comes back to the basics
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

That is stance work.

Sounds like wrestling to me.
    Bless you

Sounds like wrestling to me.
    Correct, put a gi on it and it is....Judo !!

It's not the stance work per se (although you might explain how it is different than what I think it is)... it is your statement that that allows you to not be taken down by wrestlers.

females, jello, and it becomes a very good time
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    females, jello, and it becomes a very good time
    * Cue la grange by ZZ Top*