Canglong wrote:
The difference may be found in the fact that chi sau is executed closer to the hand and kiu sau is executed between the wrist and elbow. So arm clinging is possibly another term for kiu sau more so than it is for chi sau.

PlanetWC wrote:
Perhaps in HFY.

In Yip Man Wing Chun Chi Sau certainly is not restricted to the wrist/hand area. Normal Wing Chun Chi Sao would be the same thing as what you are calling Kiu Sau.

PlanetWC - before saying how things should be called or not called, I’d suggest it wise to have experience on all sides of the conversation first. Canglong made a general comment to a general question from Firehawk. There’s more to what makes Kiu Sau and Chi Sau what they are in the HFY family than just contact area of the arm. And ‘Normal Wing Chun Chi Sao’ doesn’t really exist - from my own direct experience the the Moy Yat, William Cheung, Leung Ting, Wong Shun Leung, Ip Ching, Ip Chun, and Leung Shun families all have unique approaches to the topic of Chi Sau - with some shared methods, concepts and terminology as well… and all those variations stem from one family before adding in other Wing Chun lineages… which makes the research of Wing Chun as a whole a very interesting experience And you can check this as well

And just for general edification: Chi and Hei are two different characters with two different meanings.

Hei (Qi in Mandarin)- meaning air; gas; vapor; atmosphere breath spirit; character influence bearing; manner smell; odor to be angry; to be indignant to provoke; to goad

Chi
(Chi or Li in Mandarin) - meaning to stick; sticky

As for Firehawk’s original question of In the Liang Guang Man book that i have they have what is called Arm Clining is this different than Chi Sao ? Liang Guang Man s is from the Yui Choi Yui Kia branch of Wing Chun .

You should ask someone with experience in Liang Guang Man’s approach to Wing Chun in person to get your answer. Anyone can guess but you’ll just be getting a lot of opinions from all corners of the Earth. It’s best to speak directly to people with direct experience. But ultimately… of course there’s a difference - or else it’d be called the same thing

Sincerely,
Jeremy R.