Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the most important element of a good fighter?

The want to be a fighter.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

HEARTis the most important thing

then basics, basics, basics
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    HEARTis the most important thing

then basics, basics, basics
    Don't know why, but your post brought to mind "Killer" from the movie Million Dollar Baby. That kid had all the heart in the world, trained with everything he had... And couldn't figure out how they got the ice inside those bottles of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Well the elements a good RING fighter may be different from a good STREET fighter.

For the RING:

Trainning Methods
    Conditioning
    Skill
    Individual

Now any of these elements missing is disaster, i put them in that order because if you dont train for the ring you wont last...conditioning/trainning methods go hand in hand but if you just started trainning properly you may not be conditioned yet.

Skill is important otherwise you wont get any hits in.

And the individual is important because not everyone is a fighter or has the mindset to go in there and last. But even if you do have the mindset, if you aren't conditioned you are gonna get your a$$ kicked.

For the STREET i'd put them differently.

Individual
    Trainning Methods
    Skill
    Conditioning.

Individual first because if you are EXTREMLY conflict avoidant and can't be aggressive enough to end the confrontation or start it first to end it, then you'll probably get hit first and if you get hit hard enough, lose the fight right there.

Trainning methods because if you aren't trained to use every weapon you have at your disposal you're at a disadvantage than someone who is. Now you dont have to necessarily USE all of them (I personally wouldn't kick most likely)

I put skill above conditioning because most real fights dont last very long (The ones i've seen/been in) so if you can land the right blow at the right time you can call it a day once you get in position.

Conditioning I put last because again most fights dont last long, but its on the list because i was in a fight that went a grueling 11minutes, and i would have LOVED to have more conditioining because thats why I lost...luckily it was someone i knew so we could stop the fight once we were done, otherwise i could have got killed.

Just my opinions, and i'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to them just like there is to everyone elses.

heart

conditioning/training

instinct

I lump conditioning and training and skill together because i believe they are co existant
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

What about chi ?
    Where's the chi people ??

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What about chi ?
    Where's the chi people ??
    lol !

Thats just a given my friend, we all know that no one can become a real kungfu master until you can move your masters "beverage can" with your Qi
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Don't forget the ugly guy,
    He doesn't care if his face gets effed up.

got chi

Some interesting ideas, someone said skill is least important and he has seen proof, I have not seen proof of my idea, but I think one wouldn’t need endurance if the skill is there, for example many say fights should not last more than a minute, unless you are dead evenly matched.
    1. skill, technique, attitude( I think power, body connection, and energy are all part of skill)
    2. endurance

I think strength is the least important-at least coming from a kung fu, not a ground fighting background-because many people are strong or have larger muscles, but have not learned how to move that strength through the body efficienty, much of the power is lost in transition

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    Some interesting ideas, someone said skill is least important and he has seen proof, I have not seen proof of my idea, but I think one wouldn’t need endurance if the skill is there, for example many say fights should not last more than a minute, unless you are dead evenly matched.
    1. skill, technique, attitude( I think power, body connection, and energy are all part of skill)
    2. endurance

I think strength is the least important-at least coming from a kung fu, not a ground fighting background-because many people are strong or have larger muscles, but have not learned how to move that strength through the body efficienty, much of the power is lost in transition
    Being scrawny and weak is clearly the way to go.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

that is clearly what i was saying

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Coach isn't the one in the ring. Some fighters don't lesten to thier corner well when fighting- how's the coach going to help then? What if the coach isn't a good match for the fighter?
    the coach is the one that gets you ready for the ring. the coach will still help between rounds, as that's what seconds are for. what you listed still falls under the category of a good coach.

Changing the style you are fighting with doesn't make the other style a failure.
    it makes it a failure for the given venue.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    not true. watch the push hands competition vids on youtube - it looks like judo matches. IDEALLY you want to use as little force as possible. BJJ is the same way. realistically it doesn't work that way against a resisting opponent unless you are much better than they are.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    it makes it a failure for the given venue.
    Only a failure in that venue if you're dumb enough to use it in the wrong venue. Goes right back to the individual making good choises. It'ain't the style's fault if the person training in it got thier head up thier bum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Only a failure in that venue if you're dumb enough to use it in the wrong venue. Goes right back to the individual making good choises. It'ain't the style's fault if the person training in it got thier head up thier bum...
    so a tkd guy should never enter muay thai or mma? heck the original premise of mma was to allow people from a variety of styles to compete with eachother. But, you have to train for the specific venue - training methods.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter