Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jow Ga of Master Kong On BSCLF lineage

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    Sifu Dean Chin was actually a student/disciple of GM Chan Man Cheung who is a
    Jow Biu disciple.
    Yes, you are correct, my mistake.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    Here's some Singapore Jow Ga, lots of similarites (obviously) and some difference from the Dean Chin family Jow Ga you see on the east coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDc7ocvdv4
    VERY impressive! Strong stances and technique!

Yes - VERY impressive! Strong stances and technique!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyNmV...elated&search=

nospam

Thumbs up Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post

nospam
    Great video! The Grandfather kind reminds me of one of my Sifu! I've seen this journalist do some other adventures as well.

His crane stance didn't look rooted. Although it needs a lot of work, I enjoyed this exposition immensely. I look forward to seeing what he can do with more focus and power, which will come with time.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    It seems a little unnessacary to make distinctions, that "Sifu Carrie Wong's Fu Pow Kuen looks so differnet from another lineage" from what I've seen of the Dean Chin family Jow Ga on the east coast Wong Sifu's form looks very Jow Ga to me.
    You are absolutely right. And it was never my intention that this thread be a criticism in any way of the Chow Gar in Bak Hsing. As I said at the beginning, the form displayed by Sifu Carrie Wong is very characteristic of Chow Gar in content and execution. The Principles and technique that he displays are very recognisably Chow Gar. All I was curious about was whether Kong On taught original Chow Gar forms (ie in the same format as taught to him by his first Sifu), or whether he created his own Chow Gar forms based on his knowledge of Chow Gar to pass on to his CLF students, in honour of his first Sifu, Chow Lung.

The reason that I ask is that the Fu Pau Kuen that Sifu Carrie Wong performs (although clearly Chow Gar in content) does not look like the same form (ie in structure) as taught in Chow Gar schools (as far as I am aware).

As has been pointed out (and I agree) whether or not the Chow Gar forms in Bak Hsing CLF are “original” forms or forms “created” by Master Kong On, is immaterial and does not distract one iota from the quality.

I thought it would be a point to discuss… this being a discussion board and all.

nospam
    Oh oh! You’re going to have all the Mantis folks jumping all over this thread now!

"As has been pointed out (and I agree) whether or not the Chow Gar forms in Bak Hsing CLF are “original” forms or forms “created” by Master Kong On, is immaterial and does not distract one iota from the quality.I thought it would be a point to discuss… this being a discussion board and all."

Agreed, which is why I discussed it. In any event I see your point.

cheers
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

two questions for buk sing practitioners

#1. does your school teach other jow ga forms? like big tiger or small tiger, or 10,000 fist?

#2. is there a curriculum to go with the jow ga forms in your style, or is it just the form?

me, the form demonstrated in the youtube looks very clearly to be a jow ga form. i dont think any of us know ALL about jow ga, because theres so many masters around and so many versions. if we spend all our time collecting jow ga versions, we will never master the one we do to our potential. i think the master in the video demonstrated the form very good, so if that one form is the only jow ga form he knows, thats even more impressive.

its not rare to find a teacher who offers more than just one style to his students, i teach 4. but its also not rare to find one or two forms of a different style that is taught to students either. dean chin taught many other forms besides jow ga:
    * praying mantis (bong bo, and 18 hands)
    * white eyebrow (9 step push, 10 pattern something, i forget the name, and one called ghost something (fogot that one too))
    * eagle claw (gune lic, jeet kune, ng fa, dai jo, and one that i remember the form but not the name)
    * tai chi (beijing style, and another one)
    * hung gar (tiger/crane, iron wire, staff form - forgot that name too)

sorry bout the names, my memory sucks. sifu never "combined" the styles, and he taught them separately whenever he felt like it. i'm sure the buk sing masters do the same thing. i'm honored that another master included our style. right here in my town, we have a hsing yi ba gua master who teaches jow ga also.