View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 430 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 330380420428429430431432440480530930 ... LastLast
Results 6,436 to 6,450 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    For the love of God is it really not possible to contain this to one monstrous thread that's already longer than War and Peace?

I don't know, War and peace is longer I think. I'm trying to drag myself through it right now. It's not and easy read. Too descriptive...right down to the stink of the aristocracy. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

JCAT,
    Go here: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=32782

Read. Read some more. Keep reading.

Come back when you're done, in a month or so. Lots of opinions on Shaolin-Do, none of which need to be rehashed yet again.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    He Is The Youngest Grand Master In 1500 Years Of Shaolin History. Is The Only Person To Be Honored With Two, Yes I Said (2) Monuments At The Shaolin Temples In China. Was Wondering How Come He Is Never In Magazine, And Who Do I Need To Contact To See If They Will Feature Him In The Kung Fu/ Tai Chi Magazine.
    either
    1) the trolls desperately need to get some new material
    2) his landlord needs to check the ventilation in his apartment and make sure there are no gas leaks
    3) Sin The IS the real deal and reality as we know it has just ceased to function along the lines of the Laws of Physics

Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Nice to know that your grandmasters have taught the forms to the best of their ablitiy to you. Whether it be in Karate,Judo, and so forth, its ashame you all missed the class on respect for other various art forms. But, you was probably at home watching Walker Texas Ranger.
    I was home flossing my cat that night...

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    For the love of God is it really not possible to contain this to one monstrous thread that's already longer than War and Peace?
    no; it's like a virus that has cross-mutated and is able to jump from the original host thread to infect other ones; and I'd say the original reads more like Finnegan's Wake than W&P...

d@mn, guess i should've taken the red pill. and i like the shaolin 'doh quiz
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I've often wondered if GMS didn't become a victim of his own advertisment of 900 forms. I think most of the stuff up through 4th or 5th black could have been learned from Master IE, but after realizing his students were going to push him to learn more and more forms he started to get them from other sources ie. books, videos, and maybe visiting other masters. Personally I like much of the stuff up through 2nd and 3rd black. But if you look at his brothers website he doesn't boast about knowing 900 forms and he at least list other teachers that he studied from. I mean, depending on how you count, I only get to about 200 up through 5th black. But really, their just forms anyway. I pick what I want to concentrate on and drill them. Do the conditioning(weight vest, strength excersises, bag work, sparring), and drill the forms over and over that you like till they become 2nd nature, and they will work. I've seen some terrible versions of ching kong fu hu chien on the internet but that doesn't make the form bad, just the training of the teacher. But that's another can of worms.

I was there the very first time he taught ( 5 animals) & put it on film (around 1990 right before he moved to Ca.)....(for those who have a copy, thats me knocking on the door....EML wanted to kill me...he didn't know who it was) I don't remember the story where it came from....but I do know that during that time period he brought in a few forms from his colleages in Indonesia....24 Tai Chi, Tai Chi fan etc........this was all before 92 when he received GMIe's notes....GMS & DFW always butted heads so I doubt it came from his book...plus all of us were well aware of DFW's books & vid's. From 92 to the present and beyond, all new material is coming directly from GMIe's notes (which are in riddles) that he left for GMS......he has no need to look elsewhere, there was enough in that suitcase to last a lifetime....this I've seen. I'm not saying he hasn't brought in forms from sources besides GMIe...he has...so what.
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-09-2007 at 01:41 PM.

[QUOTE=bodhi warrior;785542] But if you look at his brothers website he doesn't boast about knowing 900 forms and he at least list other teachers that he studied from.

GMS was GMIe's private student.....he really didn't study under the other masters....M. Hiang didn't inherit GMIe's notes

I mean, depending on how you count, I only get to about 200 up through 5th black.

As I've said before almost half have already been taught out to upper level masters....the're not on the rank advancement list
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-09-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't heard about the DFW and GMS issues, can you elaborate?

I hadn't heard about the DFW and GMS issues, can you elaborate?
    Nothing serious...just a difference in history issues....in which GMS turned out to be right, years later. I have nothing but respect for DFW & what he's done for CMA...I'll pm you the details.
    BQ

Ah go ahead & share with everybody...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Blog Entries

choy li fut scripts

I have a question about the scripts in the choy li fut system. Visited Doc fai wongs site and it shows the scripts for the forms they have. What is the exact purpose of these? Are they for the masters to learn from or refer back to?

I love how everything ends up with some mysterious event where 'Grandmaster Sin' is always right. I'd love to hear this crock of bull. Even better, let's ask Doc Fai Wong.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I have a question about the scripts in the choy li fut system. Visited Doc fai wongs site and it shows the scripts for the forms they have. What is the exact purpose of these? Are they for the masters to learn from or refer back to?
    For reference. Like anything else, it's almost impossible to learn from a book or other text without knowing first what the topic is & at minimum have exposure to it previous.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I hear alot of people say GMS is getting stuff from his notes he got from Ie. If he has already mastered them, why wouldn't he make his own notes instead of trying to decipher Master Ie riddles?

Thanks. I hear alot of people say GMS is getting stuff from his notes he got from Ie. If he has already mastered them, why wouldn't he make his own notes instead of trying to decipher Master Ie riddles?
    For reference as sean said....he does make his own notes, those are the copies we get. I make no claims on what he has mastered, but I guarantee he's mastered more than any of us sitting here typing on this forum.
    BQ

But mastered what??

Forms taken from other systems that he's passed off & people bought as "Shaolin" originals from the temples and that the SD version is the original?

Forms he created on his own specifically for SD?

If #2, then bully for him. That's what it oughtta be & said as much.

If #1, then you see why there's so much animus about it.

Here's some examples of what I'm talking about. We've done the Ng Ying set to pieces & there's not been a straight answer so moving on. Same with the Taiji, Bagua & Xingyi.

Tiger Crane (Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mF1V...84EA54&index=9

Pan Lung Gun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u47BQxoW6tI

Hua Fist
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAH2YytlWf8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67acd...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7tU...elated&search=

Now for the SD Versions,

http://www.shao-lin.com/category.cfm?CategoryID=28

Videos #2, #3 & #4 in order