Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar or Wing Chun

Hung Gar or Wing Chun

Done some research and think I'd either like to do HG or WC. Which do you think is better for fighting? Can someone say benefits and downsides of both. Thanx

WC or Hung Gar

Depends on the quality of the teacher and the quality of the student.

joy chaudhuri

I'm the student and I'm really good quality.

I assume you're asking this on a Hung forum as well?

What you need to do is to research the two styles and then go visit schools.. Spend a week doing so, take your time..

In the end you have to go with what feels right to YOU!
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

WCK may be boring for you, as we dont typicaly do backflips, but you could always create your OWN WCK like everyone else does and pretend its the best!! - I would pick a name that would strike fear into your foes - How about - "English Hand Grenade WCK"!!

They say CLF is made for multiple opponent fighting, so in all honesty, if you really are looking for something, that might be your best solution, for your particular needs and situation.

I would suggest Modified Glok Fu, if you plan on fighting gang members, as you mentioned, in another thread, but I dont want to get anyone iced so ignore what I said.

LOL - I thought about your post about the area you live in, several nights ago. My Fiance and myself were watching a movie from England, Filmed in an area EXACTLY like what was described. It was about a young girl with a baby, and her brother and his friends were trying to make it through life. By the end of the movie because of all the carnage they created and people they ran around beating up, someone ended up dead, and they were all in jail and she lost her baby. Not a happy ending. I think I would move!!

B
    "i see thy nose, but not what dog to feed it to" othello

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Lad View Post
    I'm the student and I'm really good quality.
    what is a good quality means?

IMHO starts with

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

first ask if your art is an ALIVE art or Dead art as define above.

then

ask if your WCK or your Hung Ga is an alive art or dead art......

Then,

ask if your Jing cultivation aids the alive or dead art..

then

ask if you have internal training which aids the execution of the alive or dead art..
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-01-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Wing Chun.

That'll be 25 cents.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

Doesnt matter which style as soon as it is an alive art then it is excellent.

Okay, let me tell you what I want from my martial arts. After training I want to be...

1. Well trained in a number of weapons
    2. Prepared for any situation eg. trained in fighting on wet grass, narrow coridoors etc.
    3. Preferably at least a basic level of acrobatic training
    4. Much stronger, faster, more powerful etc. than I am at the moment

With these things in mind... HG or WC?

ninjutsu should fit you then

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Ninjutsu doesn't exist.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Take any mma

WC is overcrowded.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    I read this "Dux Ryu Ninjitsu's self-defense techniques, unlike Kung Fu or Karate, are geared to the individual, thus the individual progress is faster, finding personal self-defense practical for today's threats and builds around one's own strengths and weaknesses. Another factor, separating Dux Ryu Ninjitsu from traditional Martial Arts, is that training is not addressed to fighting only under ideal conditions like in school, but in fluctuating situations and environments. For example, one v. multiple attackers, fighting in the dark, in a crowd or hallway, on slippery ground, such as wet grass, where a fight strategy emphasizing kicking would be rendered useless."

Which made me very tempted by Dux Ryu Ninjitsu. I've always liked the idea of training to be a ninja etc. But I like the idea of learning Wing Chun or something, and then adapting it to my own skills of stealth etc.

Fighting lad

Go MMA. You never know when an elephant my sneak up on you. Work with resisting elephants.
    Wrestle the trunks. Pull on the tails. Avoid the footstomps. Mount on their heads.Avoid the chi blasts-specially if they have just been given an enema.Work with pythons- avoid the chokes.
    As Rudyard Kipling said- if you can do all that and keep your head while others are losing theirs- youll be a man my lad.
    You dont need wing chun.

Please be serious. I live in Leeds - Elephants are not a problem. I'm worried about chavs and hooded people with bottles and knives. If I'm meditating in the carpark of my estate sometime, I'd like to be able to sense if a chav is approaching etc. I'd like to be able to scale the side of my coucil estate too in case I'm surrounded. Those are the kinds of skills I'm talking about.