Thread: Hung Gar

Hung Gar

When are there going to be more hung gar issues
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

KFM has published so many articles on hung gar? how much more can be said about it they even did a whole issue back in 98 dedicated to hung gar. i think even the first or second issue had a hung gar article. i'm not sure but i think they've published maybne 100+ hung gar articles since inseption. i don't think wee need anymore but i'm sure theres some coming

I think there have been more than plenty of articles around Hun Gar in KFM. And I have no doubt there will be more. I'm willing to bet that G~ has more than a few articles about Hung Kuen sitting in th Queue.

It's popular, probably as close to popularity as is wing chun which is arguably the most popular form of Chinese martial arts and likely has the largest number of practitioners and students worldwide compared to any other cma.

so by doing articles on shaolin, hung gar and wing chun alone kfm could keep its doors open indefinitely, however, I do like some of the more obscure stuff, especially when it is bonafide and not something terribly made up.

I'd like to see more stuff on the big three internals mixed up with more qigong stuff and some of the more esoteric and not related to combat stuff in and around kungfu practice.

I think one of the bigger values of kungfu practice is the quality of life factor that goes with it. This would be an interesting focus and would hammer home the value of kungfu practice say vs yoga or some such other over-popular movement.

Kungfu people are showing this propensity for turning all their stuff into mma instead of recognizing the 2 other major factors of kungfu practice. This is kind of backwards in regards to the overall contextual value of kungfu practice. i saw it in myself and that's what helped me to regard it overall.
    but I digress....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'd like to see more stuff on the big three internals mixed up with more qigong stuff and some of the more esoteric and not related to combat stuff in and around kungfu practice.

I think one of the bigger values of kungfu practice is the quality of life factor that goes with it. This would be an interesting focus and would hammer home the value of kungfu practice say vs yoga or some such other over-popular movement.

Kungfu people are showing this propensity for turning all their stuff into mma instead of recognizing the 2 other major factors of kungfu practice. This is kind of backwards in regards to the overall contextual value of kungfu practice. i saw it in myself and that's what helped me to regard it overall.
    but I digress....
    I would like to see that too but with a little hung gar
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

the you should order all the back issues of kfm with hung gar in it trust me you'll get your fill

We've really only done one Hung Gar issue

2006 May/June was the only one that was strictly Hung Gar. We did two that had a southern emphasis: 2002 March/April had a southern accent, but 1998 September is the one everyone remembers. All those issues featured Hung Gar cover masters. Our previous editor, Martha Burr, practice Hung Gar under Buck Sam Kong, so she emphasized it a lot more. I learned a little Hung Gar under Wing Lam, but it was never my forte at all. I did a lot more research in Hung Gar when I was still with Wing Lam. That being said, I was still the major proponent behind the 2006 Hung Ga - Wong Fei Hung issue. Unfortunately, I don't have enough research in the queue to publish another Hung Gar issue anytime soon. However, you'll be pleased to know that I'm currently working on a story with a leading Hung Gar master. I should have it out by early next year, if not by the end of this year.

I hear you guys about the internal emphasis too. I'm eager to publish more in that direction, but lately there has been a dearth of internal submissions. All our internal freelance contributors are all about MMA and fighting. Go figure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi Gene,

Are there any back issues for sell that feature Pak Hok Pai or Southern Shaolin Blue Dragon?

Thanks.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

i've never heard of southern blue dragon, sounds interesting.

You got me on southern blue dragon too...

You can access the table of contents for all our past issues here. Our search function is a little sketchy, but it's only 100 issues, so that's not too many for an earnest researcher.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'd like to see a Choy lay Fut issue with Sifu Sam Ng on the cover.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    we were the Blue Dragons in color war.

Sifu Sam Ng

There's countless masters that I'd like to see on the cover. All good things in all good time. We respect Sifu Ng tremendously, so it's well within the realm of possibilities some day. Until then, keep those articles coming. That's the right way to build interest. BTW, we're looking forward to your next one, Chris.

We have a standing rule that whenever a master asks to be on the cover, we push him back at least a year, assuming we were even considering him in the first place. This doesn't apply to his students as rigorously, but it still applies. It might seem harsh, but understand that since we only put out six covers a year, we have to be very selective, and we don't want to get muddled in the ego trips that many masters foist upon us. Believe it or not, we told this rule to someone recently. He didn't even pause before asking again. I said, "that's two years". He asked again and again. Now it'll be at least ten years before we do him, and we weren't even considering him in the first place. Such ego. A true master should be humble and we always like to focus on the more humble ones, even at the cost of some newsstand sales occasionally. Don't take this to mean that we think Sifu Ng isn't humble - he's very humble and that's well to his credit - it's just that we have to apply all of our policies across the board in the interest of fairness.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't take this to mean that we think Sifu Ng isn't humble - he's very humble and that's well to his credit
    He is very humble. I don't think he's ever even thought about being on the cover. That's why I asked. Don't push him back on my account

I'm happy with what I've been doing with the magazine so far. The pictures seem to take the longest. Just getting everybody together in the same room in a presentable fashion I'm also not the most photogenic person either.

Anyway the writting portion seems to be getting easier. I have another article completely finished with another in the early stages.

As lon as you print them I'll keep them comming
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/