Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name my school

Name my school

Hi, I own and operate a small school for over a year now and it's probably the most rewarding thing I've ever done. The details are inconsequential so I shall spare you, suffice it to say I teach Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Yoga. When I inherited the school from my teacher when he moved away I kept the name, but I feel it is no longer fitting because it is too broad. Also I’ve recently become a Reiki practitioner and will be offering Reiki as a new service at my school. My Tai Chi classes are becoming more indepth as I discover my own teaching style and my love of the internal arts is going beyond even what it was before I started teaching. So I’ll be adding a chi kung class (focusing mainly on the 8 pieces of brocade and chakra balancing, small circle of heaven, root training, stuff like that).

So I’m looking for a name that encompasses all of that and adds a good focus to the fact that I’m moving in a more internally focused direction. Something that says we practice Reiki to heal people but can also teach people chi kung to better heal themselves and improve internal strength in both a gentle manner and from a very martial standpoint.

My problem there is no physical way to say all of that so that it will fit on my sign.

I’m about to move to a bigger school and I’d like to have the name thing figured out by then. I have a few things I’ve been thinking about.

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Energy Systems

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Chi Kung

Shao-Lin Wellness Center

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Energy Healing

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Internal Development

So if you guys have suggestions my students and I are stumped, any help would be appreciated. What do you think?

Thanks....
    - Max

==================================================

Enjoy everything, you might as well...

The best thing about Shao-lin is that it very quickly shows you exactly how weak you are.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I Like Shaolin Wellness center and Shaolin Kung-Fu and Internal Development.
    I also like Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development

You run a school but have only been training five years?

I haven't updated that since I started here, but I believe that's about right, in Martial Arts I have been training about that long, Yoga and Tai chi it would be fair amount longer, more like 7 or 8. The circumstances under which I took over my teachers school are unfortunate, but in the end it worked out. My school is successful enough, the students and I have fun and train hard, it allows me a place to train personally and teaching is not only fullfilling it also alows me to continue to be a student, I have people at my school from all different styles and they all bring something different to the table. In all honesty I think it's an advantage to not be as experienced as others, keeps me open minded and keeps me questioning everything, but you are entitled to your opinion.
    - Max

The best thing about Shao-lin is that it very quickly shows you exactly how weak you are.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything other than surprise.

Fair enough, then I am sorry if I got somewhat defensive, becuase I am young to own my own school, and that is something I often deal with. People will walk in and be like so is your teacher here, to me that's like asking if your mommy or daddy is home

Though I must admit I enjoy the looks when I say no sir I'm the teacher...
    - Max

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I Like Shaolin Wellness center and Shaolin Kung-Fu and Internal Development.
    I also like Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development
    I like Shao-Lin Center for Kung Fu & Internal Development, but I don't think it'll fit on the sign. But it does sound more professional. Thansk for the input.
    - Max

i like the name "chinese karate"

ok just kidding. i think you can make TT's suggestion fit on a sign. its not as though there is only one size font and if it doesnt ft your screwed.

i think u should make it something like

shaolin center for internal and martial progression

"your style" athletic association
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Oh, btw, what's the legality of Reiki where you are? You don't want your school closed down for practicing medicine without a license.

Also curious what sort of kungfu and taiji you teach? Obviously Shaolin but what branch? And what branch of taiji? BTW, who was your teacher?

Anyway, I think Shaolin Wellness Center or Shao-Lin Kungfu and Qigong are my favorites. Shaolin Kungfu and Internal Development is a decent name too though.

Something with specifics about your style/lineage would be nice too, as "Shaolin" is a bit generic.

1. may be Tai Chi, qi gong and yoga center of city name.

Shao lin is the name of a place or mountain and of course the temple.

unless your kung fu is shaolin style. it is not necessary to name your school after shaolin.

2, "life wellness/fitness center of a city name"

depending on your focus is health/fitness or fighting aspects.

3. Shaolin has the connotation of Chan sect of buddhism.

unless you are leaning toward buddhism. again it is not necessary to use the name shaolin.

--

just some thoughts.

I like "<name of city/area> Center of the Internal Arts."

I am also interested in learning what style/lineage of shaolin you learned.