Yee's Hung Ga International Kung Fu Association
    68 Union Avenue
    Clifton, NJ 07012
    973-772-8988
    www.yeeshungga.com

736 Monmouth Road
    Cream Ridge, NJ 08514
    (201) 679 1646
    Last edited by The Whyzyrd; 09-25-2007 at 03:34 AM.

Cool. A couple of people from my school are going there, but not me. I have homework to do.

Look for Calvin Chin's people.
    武林一家

The Wong Fei Hung was DOPE! I took 1st in lightweight, advanced sparring.
    I've got some deadly vids on the way!
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Chi Sao Division

Three of my Hung Ching students competed at the Wong Fei Hung Tournament. Senior disciple Elton Cohn took 1st place Gold Medal heavyweight Chi Sao division, Intermediate student Ryan Prezioso took 1st place Gold Medal lightweight Chi Sao, and Senior disciple Jack Mazzola won his first match which was said to be the most exciting one of the day then was disqualified for excessive contact in the second. I am very proud of them all.
    James Cama Sifu Chinese Freemason Association Y. C.

Congrats on the Chi Sao wins

What other Wing Chun Schools-and other -were present for the Chi Sao comp?

I remember back in "the day"-that division was pretty open to all short hand styles that had some sort of "bridging" system-very cool to "roll" with Southern Mantis,Ng Mui,White Eyebrow and others--

I caught the Chi Sao from a distance, and sorry to say I didn't video it. There were some narly southern mantis players hangin out and reffing but I didn't see any on the platform, could have been that I was distracted.

I was really interested in playing, but when I read the rules they seemed very geared to exclude non-wing chun players. That said, I plan to learn more for next year, god knows Bak Hsing guys love to fight da wing chun. In any event the division was really exicitng with some awsome competitors!
    Last edited by Satori Science; 10-01-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edit
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I thought for sure there would be brawls breaking out at any time in the chi-sao division. The heavyweights were going at it pretty fierce, and were pulled apart after every exchange. This is the firsttime they didn;'t wear gear, and when something "slips," it hits pretty hard sometimes. The Jook lum guys from Sifu Cama's school had a great showing, as well as his Fut-Sao Wing Chun group, and Alan Goldberg's guys. That division is usually pretty boring, but this year it was an exciting event.
    I only brought one guy due to the usual last moment cancellations, but he had a good time in fighting.-before he got dq'd for a beautiful spinning been choy/sow choy combo. They accused him of throwing blind technique. Funny thing is, he is legally blind, so ALL his techniques are blind techniques! We're going to put it up as well-you be the judge whether it was controlled or not.
    Nonetheless, it was a great tournament, as always. When I wasn't judging, I was running around like a kid in a candy store. Some great competitors out there-Jow Ga, Wong's,GreenCloudCLF,Calvin Chin's guys, Yee's Hung-Ga,and some cute girl in a TKD uniform doing wu-shu (huh?)
    Last edited by TenTigers; 10-02-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Was she really doing wushu? I missed that. I saw her do some kind of really flashy korean pole pattern in the open weapon division. She seemd a little out of place in that uniform though....

But the CLF girls were in full effect!
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

ahhh, you must've been checking out Green Cloud CLF-they are giving the Got Qi girls arun for their money!-the difference is, Raquel and the other girl(sorry, I do not know her name) can fight!
    Ok, so our clip is up on youtube-my student who put it up...contrary to my explicit orders....labels as Gene gets DQ'd.(I had kinda hoped it would be under TenTigers-gonna have to fix that)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcNJuRxFTg
    yeah, that's me yelling "follow it up!" after the judges call "Stop!"
    Last edited by TenTigers; 10-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Blind Technique????

Hi Ten Tigers,
    That was not a blind technique! As a matter of fact he was fully turned and looking at his opponent. Too bad.
    Last edited by Sam; 10-01-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hi Ten Tigers,
    That was not a blind technique! As a matter of fact he was fully turned and looking at his opponent. Too bad.

yeah those were pretty well executed i thought. nothing blind there. just bad judging. agh gotta love tournaments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

At this point, I don't think it's bad judging as much as the fact that some of the judges still need to get out of that open point-karate tournament fighting mode. I look at the rings and there is of course alot of that type of fighting, but more and more, I am seeing some good, continuous sparring with more people throwing sow,gwa,cup,been, etc. I think the judges need to get used to seeing it and recognizing it as basic Gung-Fu technique and not sloppy flailing.

There is also the matter of safety, but as long as it's controlled, not malicious, and to the proper target areas, it is fine.

I will say this, I didn;t see any injuries this year, nor did I hear the PA announce EMS to any rings. That is a good sign of a well-run tournament, so I have no complaints.
    Some teachers are all macho and live vicariously through their students, trying to prove how tough they are-meanwhile the student has stitches, a broken nose, etc.,
    A tournament is not the street, nor is it the cage. It is a venue for us to be able to get together and promote and share our art, and enjoy some good, friendly competition, and foster unity.They also motivate the students to excell.

Tournaments like this do just that. We go there, see our friends, make new ones,laugh, cajole, bicker,and then kick back in Chinatown for a meal.

one more thing-this tournament ran smoothly, and ended on time-a rarity in tournaments. (When I was an active competitor, many of the tournaments didn't start for hours and didn't end till 11pm.) Kudos to the Yee Family for a great job, and we are already looking forward to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    At this point, I don't think it's bad judging as much as the fact that some of the judges still need to get out of that open point-karate tournament fighting mode. I look at the rings and there is of course alot of that type of fighting, but more and more, I am seeing some good, continuous sparring with more people throwing sow,gwa,cup,been, etc. I think the judges need to get used to seeing it and recognizing it as basic Gung-Fu technique and not sloppy flailing.

There is also the matter of safety, but as long as it's controlled, not malicious, and to the proper target areas, it is fine.

I will say this, I didn;t see any injuries this year, nor did I hear the PA announce EMS to any rings. That is a good sign of a well-run tournament, so I have no complaints.
    Some teachers are all macho and live vicariously through their students, trying to prove how tough they are-meanwhile the student has stitches, a broken nose, etc.,
    A tournament is not the street, nor is it the cage. It is a venue for us to be able to get together and promote and share our art, and enjoy some good, friendly competition, and foster unity.They also motivate the students to excell.

Tournaments like this do just that. We go there, see our friends, make new ones,laugh, cajole, bicker,and then kick back in Chinatown for a meal.

one more thing-this tournament ran smoothly, and ended on time-a rarity in tournaments. (When I was an active competitor, many of the tournaments didn't start for hours and didn't end till 11pm.) Kudos to the Yee Family for a great job, and we are already looking forward to next year.

tentigers, i am glad to hear this. if i wasnt busy, i would have tried to make it down this year. one of the reasons i stopped going to another tournament isbecause the sparring rings were very poorly run and the next year i didnt even show cause i came down with something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    and some cute girl in a TKD uniform
    the CLF girls were in full effect!
    are giving the Got Qi girls arun for their money!
    ... Rule 1* ...

* rule 1 states that; if you are going to make a reference to a hot member of the female persuasion, it MUST be backed up by video and or pictorial evidence.

1st vid...

Ok so here is the first vid of a bunch of differnt stuff to come. Its my first fight of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIwKMud2c6g

TT, I booked it out to Staten Island and hung out @ the Holbrook green cloud school on Monday night bfore I flew outta NYC. Those guys (and girls) have sick CLF.

personally I wouldn't say that the judging was bad, but it was often times very, very inconsistent from ring to ring.

I'll post more soon, it was a crazy intense few days and I did a few nights in a row on 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I taught class last night & then my girl kept me out celebrating till 4am, lol.. Then I worked my government job today on two hours. Just gotta get caught back up...
    Last edited by Satori Science; 10-04-2007 at 05:06 AM. Reason: edit
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com