Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
try some zycam for the throat! stuff works! or just some plain zinc.

I just wanted to make a comment, long time reader first time writer kind o thing

Oh, and how do you calculate % of 1RM?
Took some zma last night and the throat's a bit better today, might double up on the vitamins later, thanx.

To be honest, I am not that precise with calculating the weight.
I usually have an idea of what I can do once, and try take the percentage of that.
Other times the recommended percentage really doesn't work out for the rep schemes; so I try to take the goal weight as a recommendation and then adjust for what I can actually do for that many reps/sets.

For example, on this current routine, I started out with 10 sets of 3 at 80% 1rm; which was not so bad, but when the # of reps per set jumped to 4 it got a bit harder, and by 5 it was almost impossible with the same weight. I'm finding if I start at the goal weight from the beginning, my strength drops off drastically as the sets progress, but if i work up to the goal weight it goes a little bit better. For chin ups, i've been goin a bit too heavy from the start, i get burnt, and my strength drops off drastically so probably smart to start a lil lighter and work up.

One guideline that the author gives in the book I'm reading is that you can't always improve. Occasionally you need to drop the weight back down- either when you're having a bad day or when you start back up with a new routine (the routines are changing every 3 weeks or so). It's the progression over time that gets you stronger, not necessarily trying to break your own records day to day (winning the war not the battles). Shaping rest and nutrition around that concept of longevity helps too.

Thanx for reading, I'll try not to be such a wuss.