Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buck Sing Choy Lay Fut is different to other branches of Choy Lay Fut.

Blog Entries
    yeah its interesting enough.......

from what i understand my sigung used to visit with lai chow alot back in the days....

i wish my sigung was more verbal, i'd ask him what they spoke about....i wonder if they explored their clf together......
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Chan, Buk sing, hung sing, what are they?

Hi Guys,

As beeing a CLF idiot, I wanted to learn a bit about it. There is a lot of discussion about the various major branches. So I thought I'd ask for a quick discription that a NON choy li fut person might understand. I am somewhat familiar with different people doing choy li fut and I think I can see some differences, but the nuances are lost on me. For instance, I am some what familiar with the Lau Bun lineage in SF and have seen some of the Lacey's stuff. Some Tat Mau Wong and Doc Fai Wong, as well as some other stuff spread around the net.

My question would be, what differentiates the Chan family, Buk Sing, and Hung Sing CLF? How would you characterize the differences and defend the statement 'a buk sing flavor' as I recently read? What is Buk Sing or any other flavor?

Then of course, what are the core that all Choy Li Fut have in common?

Hopefully this won't get political or too technical. Just enough so an outsider might be able to appreciate the different forms of choy li fut, and at the lest, follow some of these other threads. Perhaps a quick history lesson on how these all relate to each other would be good to.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Aside from the basic root techqniques, forms and what not changes from branch to branch. even within the same branch there could be material created by the last grand master, or so forth.

Under one father, you can have 10 sons, and each may have a different way, then there will be that one brother who just wants to keep the system together.

What differentiates Chan Fam CLF from the likes of hung sing and buk sing.......

1st thing: Hoi Jongs or sets openings are different.
    2nd thing : Chan Heung created and passed down CLF through his family.
    3rd thing: Chan Heung's gung fu was based off of the Choy and Lee Ga styles, or suffice it to say the styles taught by Choy Fook and Lee Yau San. The Fut was attached at the end to show their shaolin and buddhist roots. Jeong Yim's CLF was based off of teachings he received from Lee Yau San, Chan Heung, and the Green Grass Monk. for jeong yims branch, he put the FUT in choy lee fut. so the two separately developed their gung fu.

one can watch both and know who is who by watching their movements.

4th thing: i noticed that in Chan Fam CLF they have a lot of barrage strikes in their forms, while Hung Sing is more on the lines of the "one hitter quitters"

5th thing: sets are totally different, even in method of usage.

the lacey family or even just buk sing CLF, has developed a certain flow and energy that is identifiable strictly to them. I think they have set the trend for future generations.

however, in my school under GM salvatera, there is a certain flow that is identifiable to our lineage. heck, one of my senior students made a comment that he can see my hands in another of my students hands. to me that was a compliment. but someone will eventually say, hey, did you learn from sifu frank? yeah? i can tell.

alot of this is hard to articulate......but it will come as others chime in.

I'd say that one other place you can see the difference is in the footwork. Chan fam tends to have very intricate footwork, shifting and moving all over the place as you blast them with a combo. Hung Sing has less mobile footwork; the goal is to prepare the stance, clear a path and then destroy them. Buk Sing is much more northern, so the stances are often much higher than Chan or Hung Sing, which both have very southern style stances.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with bak hsing being more northern than other styles(despite the name), our buk siu lum is northern, but, our southern stuff is very southern..

Several major points in my kwoon's bak hsing flavour:

-We usually fight from a 45 degree angle- the reason for this is to make a much smaller target area, compared to other clf where the chest is partly exposed(correct me if I'm wrong).

- we emphasize a running/ fighting horse/continuous attack method- watch any video, by satori or the buk sing crew and you will see this utilized.
    for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTy06sqPOA

- We focus on the chorp choy/straight punch as our main striking method, we also throw our chorp choy differently than other branches of clf.

I'm sure there are some points I've missed, but these help to distinguish our style.

Yeah I was going to chime in the same on the buk sing as it doesn't really look that northern other than having the northern blending with Ku Yu Jeong. Maybe the lines from that have a more northern flavor say Leung Tze Cheung's line but most buk sing looks southern.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Yeah I was going to chime in the same on the buk sing as it doesn't really look that northern other than having the northern blending with Ku Yu Jeong. Maybe the lines from that have a more northern flavor say Leung Tze Cheung's line but most buk sing looks southern.
    Yup, I kind laugh when I hear people say we look northern, we have northern forms but thats about it. In our fighting we heavily emphasise on coordination of punches and kicks but our forms look pretty southern to me,

The difference in the families is flavour and emphsis, my teacher likes these techniques and likes to play them this way, your teachers likes those techniques and uses them like that,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by deeperthantao View Post

- we emphasize a running/ fighting horse/continuous attack method
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTy06sqPOA

- We focus on the chorp choy/straight punch as our main striking method, we also throw our chorp choy differently than other branches of clf.
    I assume you must be hanging out with Dave lots, sweet dude, well said!
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Blog Entries

Buk Sing Vs. Hung Sing

Nice vid!

I really like the fake giving of the back followed by a spinning backfist or a spinning kick. It's a good manuever against really aggressive guys.

Oh, and the rock and roll at the end was hilarious!
    A unique snowflake

Blog Entries
    It seems alot of gung fu teachers turn to music to supplement their gung fu.

some go to traditional chinese music, but i just love Grand Master Vince's talent. How many sifu's on earth do you see rocking out like him!?!?!?!?!

The vid was sick! The second fight was dope!

Yeah my sifu is all about the music, he holds concerts ware he sings with his brothers in the Chinese commuity. He has a whole theroy on gung fu and music as mutually reflective, I mean look at the drumming in lion dance.

I think that was Tat Ma Wong's school, he was the one doing center right?
    Last edited by Satori Science; 11-03-2007 at 04:25 PM.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    if that was Tat Wong's kung fu school, then buk sing wasn't really sparring against a hung sing dude.......

but either way, i think both fighters did well, and neither looked bad at all.

that was a far better match that what i've seen out there though.

..it has been said to do gung fu well, take up ball room dancing.

nospam

Just kick, punch

There was no "style" used by any of these fighters. It was just kick/punch that can be seen used by any fighting art that uses arms and legs. I studied under Tat Mau Wong (Hung Sing) and Michael Chau (Buk Sing). There are differences between the two systems, but none can be seen with this video.
    This video does show that people with a common interest can actually cooperate with each other. I wouldn't want people unfamiliar with the respectful relationship between Sifus Wong and Gracie to believe there is any rivalry between the two.