View Poll Results: Would You Train Drunken Kung Fu?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep.

24 77.42%
  • Nope.

7 22.58%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Drunken Boxing / Drunken Kung Fu

i am thinking of taking drunken sitting hardcore. its like drunken boxing but without the boxing (err that is to say falling down) or delusions of usefullness.

drunken boxing

real drunken boxing is not for fighting at all actually and is just a nei gung excerise, after jackie chans drunken boxing film alot of kung fu styles started adding it. there's even an eight drunken boxing form in hung ga. but know it can;t be used for fighting and even remeber a video being posted of a karate guy beating the crap out of this guy using drunken boxing. sorry man its only for show and its not a system so who would you learn it from??? just asking cause last time i looked it was just a form.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    depends if you have a gun or not. and or wrist control.
    Derrick Comedy right?

"First I obtain wrist control. Now I pull out my gun. No crack for you today my friend!"
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    real drunken boxing is not for fighting at all actually and is just a nei gung excerise, after jackie chans drunken boxing film alot of kung fu styles started adding it. there's even an eight drunken boxing form in hung ga. but know it can;t be used for fighting and even remeber a video being posted of a karate guy beating the crap out of this guy using drunken boxing. sorry man its only for show and its not a system so who would you learn it from??? just asking cause last time i looked it was just a form.
    Talking about this vid?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CiC7ef8xsms
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Personally haven't heared of a 100% Drunken Style. There are Drunken forms/techniques in many Traditional Styles.

such as: 7 Star mantis, Eagle Claw, Lama, Hung Ga's Drunken Lohan Sequence, etc.

Now as to fighting applications, of course.

One has to 1st be strong in the 4 ranges of combat.

drunken skill usually relies on balance, flexibility and softness into hardness. I would say a very evasive .

Acrobatics is not present in always.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuan View Post
    Derrick Comedy right?

"First I obtain wrist control. Now I pull out my gun. No crack for you today my friend!"
    exactly what im talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BaKu View Post
    I'm think about takeing on drunken boxing head core but i wanted to know can drunken boxing be used in a street fight and win.
    Simple answer? No.

Not so simple answer: Anything may be possible. In order for drunken boxing to be of any use in a real "street fight" you would need: to have a good teacher, who was teaching good stuff (and your chances of finding this are, to say the least, slim); what I can only call a natural talent for doing stupid sh!t; a serious amount of time and determination (you would need to spend an ungodly amount of time training); a well-developed acrobatic ability (which includes strength, dexterity, and flexibility - you need these things before you start training in drunken); access to well-trained people to train against (without which no-one develops fighting skill); and an insane amount of luck.

Oh, and an ability to not get hurt doing incredibly stupid sh!t.

And that is the quick, basic, and far from complete list. Which can translate simply as: don't bother.

Unless you can, in all seriousness, say that you fulfill all of these requirements.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

just a concept

well, to me drunken boxing doesnt need acrobatic..and its maybe just a concept not specific movements..like holding the bottle and cup...
    I once saw a guy taking out 2 guys..we didnt see what happened before..what we saw was a pretty drunk guy who had beef with a bunch of guys in front of a club..the drunk guy hardly could stand straight..when 2 of the guys came close to attack him..this drunk guy all of the sudden went straight into them and knocked them both down. with controlled force..just using normal jabs and straight punches ..it didnt look like anything whether boxing or martial arts..he got those 2 guys by surprise..and then he was sober again..so he obviously just played being drunk..

now thats for me what could be considered drunken fist...
    yall need to forget about the movies and shiiit..

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    well, to me drunken boxing doesnt need acrobatic..and its maybe just a concept not specific movements..like holding the bottle and cup...
    I once saw a guy taking out 2 guys..we didnt see what happened before..what we saw was a pretty drunk guy who had beef with a bunch of guys in front of a club..the drunk guy hardly could stand straight..when 2 of the guys came close to attack him..this drunk guy all of the sudden went straight into them and knocked them both down. with controlled force..just using normal jabs and straight punches ..it didnt look like anything whether boxing or martial arts..he got those 2 guys by surprise..and then he was sober again..so he obviously just played being drunk..

now thats for me what could be considered drunken fist...
    yall need to forget about the movies and shiiit..
    Yeah, because I didn't spend several years studying the Lan Tsai Huo set of Tsui Pa Hsien, or nothin'. I'm basing my comments entirely on no personal experience whatsoever. In fact, I've never even been drunk in my life...
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

Chinese love the wine

Given the extent at which many Chinese men drink to, its possibly the whole drunken thing just is an attempt at learning how to fight while you are drunk.

guy1: "Man last night I got my ass handed to me at the bar, and I know kungfu!"

guy2: "learn to use your kungfu while your drunk!"

guy1: "No Sh!t, thats not a bad idea" " hey, wanna get drunk and spar?"

guy2: "HELL YES!"
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well, despite the fact the dude who posted originally was completely trolling, yes, drunken boxing can be used in a fight.

Seriously, any system that teaches punches, kicks, throws, and grappling can be used in a fight. Hey, what a coincidence! Drunken boxing teaches punches, kicks, throws, and grappling! Oh my god! It can't be possible.

Unfortunately, all you guys see is stumbling around, flopping around, 360 "flying dragon" kicks that land on the ground, instead of combinations on the feet, a variety of strikes, methods of extension and evasion, rhythms, etc. (I would say this is because most of you have only ever seen PRC wushu BS drunken styles that are more about dancing and acrobatics, rather than body control and striking combos--which is true--but then that discussion would have to occur over on the infamous thread). All I have is an elementary drunken boxing form, but my system teaches 8 Immortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Seriously, any system that teaches punches, kicks, throws, and grappling can be used in a fight. Hey, what a coincidence! Drunken boxing teaches punches, kicks, throws, and grappling! Oh my god! It can't be possible.
    You can use a carrot to block a bullet, but that doesn't mean it will.

C'mon......if you train with someone and you do drunken boxing, it's the same as any fighting. You punch, you kick, you move, you dodge, you throw, you grapple. What's the difference? I know...the whole drunken, stumbling around thing. But that's just the difference between someone who's trying to live out a movie fantasy vs. someone who's fighting. LOL.....the Kyoshukin v. Drunken Boxing video on Youtube is a perfect example. You get two guys stumbling around, getting smashed up (well, the second guy did. The first guy pulled all his kicks, and when he got kicked in the head, he was often pulling a kick to the groin or knee, so I'd say he just lacked killer instinct...LOL.....

But seriously. Why they stumbled around with predictable rhythm, I don't know. I can see how its mobility functions well. It's not unlike capoeira, and say what you will, the ginga teaches you how to realign your body at an advantageous angle, and kick your leg out of harm's way in the blink of an eye, and put yourself right back into range in another blink.

I know how to punch, kick, and throw. I can do them sober. I can do them while stumbling. What's the difference, except aesthetics? Sure, I like those aesthetics, and that's part of why I want to learn it, but really, what's the difference?

Why do they train for extreme felxibility? For body control and strength conditioning. I remember Frank Shamrock practicing those same movements in some promo, talking about body control....LOL....not that he's the greatest or most likeable MMA guy, but he could whoop any one of our asses.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You can use a carrot to block a bullet, but that doesn't mean it will.
    If it's a kevlar carrot, it will.