Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: shaolin monk in chicago? question for gene

I am now utterly inspired to chop some scallions, onions, fry some eggs with white rice and toss in some tomatoes!!!

Great going in, and awesome for exporting when training at Shaolin, lol...

You always want to be near the news.

Smile Re: Chicago Shaolin Monk

Forum

I'm an adult (27) student of Shi Yan Ju's and can speak personally of my experience there. I have always been interested in Kung Fu, but I only recently started learning this summer. Therefore, I am a beginner. I am, however, progressing rather nicely in my own mind, but I do not have a whole lot to compare to other than in comparison to students in the class. The temple opened in July 2007 so they're still working out a lot of the details of how they can best train students. I go 5 days a week and have found it very beneficial to the health of my body and mind in just a short time.

The Chicago Shaolin Temple basically has three different classes. The first is wushu, where we are learning forms like Lohan Fist and Lohan Staff. The classes do begin with the typical jumping, punching, kicking, and stretching routines for warm up. Then we typically work on various small moves and later practice the full routines. I'm not quite caught up on the terminology yet so please let me know if I am mislabeling something. We also sometimes work towards flips and other acrobatic manuevers, although most of us are still too inflexible and/or weak to do these well (or at all.)

The second type of class is Yi Jin Jing / Chi Kung. It is probably what you all picture. Part of the class is also Iron Shirt for those so inclined -- I routinely get hit with bats and sticks and they stand on my stomach to build up my resistance and power. These classes are typically older students (even some in their 60s), but there are a few younger adults like myself.

The third class is San Da, and its basically practicing punching and kicking pads and working on less artful but more self-defense forms. These classes haven't been as popular so they haven't really pushed forward a progressive curriculum yet, or at least from what I have seen / done.

The monk himself is fresh over here from China. He travelled with the Abbot showcasing his Iron Crotch, and was a fellow disciple of the NYC monk Sifu Shi Yan Ming (picture of the two of them in "The Shaolin Workout" p.13).

I've seen videos (and live performances) of the disciple he has with him in Chicago getting sticks broken over various limbs and his back. I've also seen him lay on a bed of nails and have something broken on him while doing it (can't remember if it was stone or wood.) He's also done several intense weapons demonstrations for us after class.

Because I am new at this, I don't entirely know what you on this forum consider real, flashy, commercialized, etc. I don't find the Chicago Temple commercialized or flashy, and in fact there's no english spoken by the instructors (other than a couple words they have learned.) If you have seen Shaolin: Wheel of Life, we've learned some of the forms I've seen done in that.

I'd be very happy to get some responses from my post. I really want to get good at lots of different forms of Kung Fu throughout the rest of my life, and I am passionate about what I have learned so far. I would love to make some friends on here that can help me learn more about this great art.

Thanks,

Ben Johnson

Cool

Welcome to our Shaolin forum here, Ben. We like to have reps of all the U.S. monks here. Nice of you to step forward.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm excited to have found a heavily used forum. I look forward to learning a lot here.

Ben

Amitabha Ben

i havent been to chicago in some time. i must check it out if i go up that way again. it sounds like the typical shaolin monk school.

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    The monk himself is fresh over here from China. He travelled with the Abbot showcasing his Iron Crotch, and was a fellow disciple of the NYC monk Sifu Shi Yan Ming (picture of the two of them in "The Shaolin Workout" p.13).
    hopefully showcasing his iron crotch to the public like that wont get him arrested and deported!

and hopefully by "fellow disciple" that doesnt mean shi yanming is really yongxin's disciple! lol, the generations fit. and the plot thickens.....

seriously though, i have that book at home. must flip to p.13 when i get back.

peace!

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    Forum

I'm an adult (27) student of Shi Yan Ju's and can speak personally of my experience there. I have always been interested in Kung Fu, but I only recently started learning this summer. Therefore, I am a beginner. I am, however, progressing rather nicely in my own mind, but I do not have a whole lot to compare to other than in comparison to students in the class. The temple opened in July 2007 so they're still working out a lot of the details of how they can best train students. I go 5 days a week and have found it very beneficial to the health of my body and mind in just a short time.

The Chicago Shaolin Temple basically has three different classes. The first is wushu, where we are learning forms like Lohan Fist and Lohan Staff. The classes do begin with the typical jumping, punching, kicking, and stretching routines for warm up. Then we typically work on various small moves and later practice the full routines. I'm not quite caught up on the terminology yet so please let me know if I am mislabeling something. We also sometimes work towards flips and other acrobatic manuevers, although most of us are still too inflexible and/or weak to do these well (or at all.)

The second type of class is Yi Jin Jing / Chi Kung. It is probably what you all picture. Part of the class is also Iron Shirt for those so inclined -- I routinely get hit with bats and sticks and they stand on my stomach to build up my resistance and power. These classes are typically older students (even some in their 60s), but there are a few younger adults like myself.

The third class is San Da, and its basically practicing punching and kicking pads and working on less artful but more self-defense forms. These classes haven't been as popular so they haven't really pushed forward a progressive curriculum yet, or at least from what I have seen / done.

I've seen videos (and live performances) of the disciple he has with him in Chicago getting sticks broken over various limbs and his back. I've also seen him lay on a bed of nails and have something broken on him while doing it (can't remember if it was stone or wood.) He's also done several intense weapons demonstrations for us after class.

Because I am new at this, I don't entirely know what you on this forum consider real, flashy, commercialized, etc. I don't find the Chicago Temple commercialized or flashy, and in fact there's no english spoken by the instructors (other than a couple words they have learned.) If you have seen Shaolin: Wheel of Life, we've learned some of the forms I've seen done in that.

I'd be very happy to get some responses from my post. I really want to get good at lots of different forms of Kung Fu throughout the rest of my life, and I am passionate about what I have learned so far. I would love to make some friends on here that can help me learn more about this great art.

Thanks,

Ben Johnson
    Heh thanks for posting that information. Sounds like a Songshan Shaolin school. Most of them are basically set up and ran the same way like you posted. Your post kind of reminded me of my first days of shaolin training. Welcome to the forums and beware of the forum trolls that show up from time to time.

Re: Shaolin Monk in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_Dragon View Post
    Heh thanks for posting that information. Sounds like a Songshan Shaolin school. Most of them are basically set up and ran the same way like you posted. Your post kind of reminded me of my first days of shaolin training. Welcome to the forums and beware of the forum trolls that show up from time to time.
    Thanks. I look forward to learning a lot here, especially since its hard for me to learn the non-physical parts of kung fu from the monk because he only speaks chinese.

Re: Chicago Monk

I asked the disciple and he said it is a Songshan Shaolin School. This is what I've learned so far:

Ba Duan Jin
    Lohan Quan
    Luin Huan Quan
    Lohan Arlo Quan (lohan second form)

Should be learning Xiao Hong Quan and Tom Bi Quan soon once I prove good enough in the above forms.

Welcome Wutangforever,

I am happy I dropped by this spot and found you, the more I explore this forum ,the more I like it.

You are learning at a special place, by excellant Sifu's. I have read many great things about the Monks.

My best to you,

Sifu Ron

Thanks Sifu Ron

Thanks Sifu Ron! I definitely realize what a great opportunity my training is... there are times when it is just me, Sifu and his disciple!

I'm really glad I found this forum too.

Ben

Hello!!

I have a question, does your teacher teach the 3 roads of Shaolin Tai Tzu Chang Chuan?

The first road is pretty common, and I wouldn't mind getting some review on it, but I am looking for the 2nd and 3rd roads.

What about Lao Hong Chuan, and the 6 road Da Hong Chuan?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Response

I'm not sure. I believe if you want to learn it, they will teach you. Last night I started learning Xiao Hong Chuan.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Hello!!

I have a question, does your teacher teach the 3 roads of Shaolin Tai Tzu Chang Chuan?

The first road is pretty common, and I wouldn't mind getting some review on it, but I am looking for the 2nd and 3rd roads.

What about Lao Hong Chuan, and the 6 road Da Hong Chuan?

i love how idiotic people are when it comes to shaolin, shaolin-wushu, and wushu in general.. get a clue.

lots of wushu people train traditional too, but lets face it - if you see someone do a demo shaolin-wushu is going to look a heck of a lot cooler and attract more people than if you just do a traditional style shaolin form- its that simple. I dont blame the monks for doing demos or other things with "wushuized" moves or whatever you want to call it.. Also- if you have never even tried wushu don't go bashing them- lots of those "performers" train the movements 1,000 times more than a traditionalist in the USA would...

What are the address and phone number of the Chicago Shaolin Temple? The website is incomplete (or my firewall/antispam/adblock is preventing me from seeing it).