Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend a Head Guard

Please Recommend a Head Guard

Hi,

I am buying a new Head Guard as the focus of my sparring has changed. I now spar with Ju Jitsu and Taiji methods. This uses punches, kicks, locks, holds etc.

I want to train so I can punch to the Jaw and nose but want protection so I don't get damaged. At 26 my body already doesn't heal as easily as it used to.

My training also includes Qin Na (Chin Na) so ideally there would be some sort of eye protection in case of accidental gouging because I will be using fingerless gloves like MMA.

I think the best head guards I have found are:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Martial-Ar...QQcmdZViewItem

But I don't know if they can withstand semi-contact jabs to the nose. Also there is quite a large opening where an accidental finger could get through to the eyes.

If any one has any recommendations I would be really grateful for your help.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

I think you would probably be OK. If you are still worried you might want to wear some swimming goggles to provide extra protection.

Baah, who needs headgear. Brain cells are overated!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MASTERforge View Post
    Hi,

I am buying a new Head Guard as the focus of my sparring has changed. I now spar with Ju Jitsu and Taiji methods. This uses punches, kicks, locks, holds etc.

I want to train so I can punch to the Jaw and nose but want protection so I don't get damaged. At 26 my body already doesn't heal as easily as it used to.

My training also includes Qin Na (Chin Na) so ideally there would be some sort of eye protection in case of accidental gouging because I will be using fingerless gloves like MMA.

I think the best head guards I have found are:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Martial-Ar...QQcmdZViewItem

But I don't know if they can withstand semi-contact jabs to the nose. Also there is quite a large opening where an accidental finger could get through to the eyes.

If any one has any recommendations I would be really grateful for your help.

um, if you're really practicing the dreaded eye poke then just wear some safety eyewear.

otherwise, the full face style of boxing headgear, which Gene's peeps don't carry, is probably the best for protecting the brain.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Foam sparring gear is not recommended for full blast training with any level of safety.

Maybe MAM should sell more high end gear in that respect, im sure with the gradual drift towards more actively beating on each other, there will be a need for more sturdy stuff.

Having said that, check out any outlet that sells to pro boxers or wrestlers.

google is your friend.

I like Boes equipment personally.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ringside carries Martial Arts equipment. Shinguards, gloves, etc. They may have a headguard that fits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Ringside carries Martial Arts equipment. Shinguards, gloves, etc. They may have a headguard that fits your needs.
    Yes, get a Boxing headgear without a shield.

I use Combat Sports, but I actually train in a Century headgear, though.

but ringside has better boxing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I think you would probably be OK. If you are still worried you might want to wear some swimming goggles to provide extra protection.
    Please tell me this is a joke...........I can't tell anymore, what with all the inanity I hear on this website......

LOL.......at first it was just the image of someone stepping up to spar wearing goggles....then it was the image of someone hitting those goggles, then creating suction on impact, and then suctioning out the eyeball they were meant to protect......LOL.......

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Yes, get a Boxing headgear without a shield.

I use Combat Sports, but I actually train in a Century headgear, though.

but ringside has better boxing equipment.
    we've got one of those in our box o headgear.

a couple of everlast's and a couple of these:

Macho XP

basic foam gear isn't so hot as DJ says but the Macho XP fits like a motorcycle helmet and does a good job of dispersing impact because of the plastic cups at chin and ears. You can get a face shield that straps on and is ok but slips some if you don't check it regularly

we also use the lei tai style w/ face cage as well as the newer style w/ clear plastic face
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    LOL.......at first it was just the image of someone stepping up to spar wearing goggles....then it was the image of someone hitting those goggles, then creating suction on impact, and then suctioning out the eyeball they were meant to protect......LOL.......
    Haha, gouged by proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke...........I can't tell anymore, what with all the inanity I hear on this website......
    He is pretty well protected with the head guard but worried about the off-chance of fingers to the eyes. The head guard should do most of the work.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I went for the full face with strapped cage. The same one I was looking at on ebay. I will give it a go and see where it gets me

Thanks for all the input.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    He is pretty well protected with the head guard but worried about the off-chance of fingers to the eyes. The head guard should do most of the work.
    Not to be a complete d1ck, but isn't there a point when you just say I'll take my bruises, welts, and broken fingers and call it the "name of the game"? Hell, I did that the first day I joined an MA school. Broken a finger, gotten bruised.....it's nothing that'll kill you. I mean I worked freight on a dock with a broken finger I got from getting my finger caught in a shirt during a throw/takedown (it doesn't really hurt that much, and I didn't know it was broken) for 2 months before I went to a doctor........and it healed pretty much alright (well, it's still lumpy at the joint and my girlfriend thinks its freakish, but it straightened out....LOL....)

You can't fight or anything without some risk. As long as you're not kicking at knees or breaking arms, it's no biggie.

So what's the point of a helmet? Boxing headgear....okay, I can see that, I suppose, if you're going really hard. I've taken a lot of shot to the nose (but none of them broke it). I can understand a helmet if it involves weapons contact to the head. But isn't head contact kind of a "trial by fire" type of thing. If you don't have to proactively protect your head and you lose the peripherals, your technique won't develop acutely. Know what I mean?

I'm just asking questions for the sake of questions. I'm 26, too, but if you keep yourself fit, your body heals just fine. I had back issues early this year, so I strengthened my back and did more stretching. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-23-2007 at 07:00 AM.