View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 566 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 664665165565645655665675685766166661066 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,490 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    I know some years ago you had to buy patches to put on you gi. The patch of the belt tied in a knot and the patch of the hand open and then you had to buy more patches at advance belts. I know that when you get to like Brown belt (i think) you have to take a speacial class either in Tai Chi or Ba Qua and it costs additional money each month to take this class. If you don't learn this then you can't advance in belt rank. Also there was a seminar that Sin Thev taught last year covering a specific form. I can't remember what it was but you had to have it for a particular belt and the only way you could learn it was by taking this seminar (which of course you had to pay for). What rank are you bodhi warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    No Shaolin Do is not real.
    If it's not real, why does it exist.

It's a mixture of several arts. You can tell this by the uniform they wear and the techniques & weapons they teach. Also by the use of terms. If they say they teach pure Chinese Kung Fu they are lying. They are trying to capatolize on the name Shaolin. For God's sake, they wear a japanese Gi, teach sia and nunchucks and other weapons of non chinese origin, and use Japanes terminology such as dojo and kumite. Does this sound like kung fu to you? Not to me. I have not seen any kung fu school that teach or do any of the things that SD schools do. Also what is even crazier is all the gimmicks that they do to try to rope you out of more money. Once you get to a particular rank you have to buy a patch to wear on your Gi. You also have to take special classes (which cost additional money) to learn a specific thing for your test. For example, you might need a specific form but it is only taught at a seminar that Sin The' is teaching. Of course you have to pay for this seminar if you want to get this form that is REQUIRED for the belt (not sash) you are going for. It's all about money money money. There are other examples I could go on about. Anyways, Merry Christmas to all you SD guy/gals.
    I see your preparing the stuffing for your Xmas turkey

I know some years ago you had to buy patches to put on you gi. The patch of the belt tied in a knot and the patch of the hand open and then you had to buy more patches at advance belts. I know that when you get to like Brown belt (i think) you have to take a speacial class either in Tai Chi or Ba Qua and it costs additional money each month to take this class. If you don't learn this then you can't advance in belt rank. Also there was a seminar that Sin Thev taught last year covering a specific form. I can't remember what it was but you had to have it for a particular belt and the only way you could learn it was by taking this seminar (which of course you had to pay for). What rank are you bodhi warrior?
    WOW a couple of patches for a couple of bucks.....a lot of money made here.
    The rest of your statement shows once again you know nothing...none of it is true period
    BQ

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Yes, I am preparing my stufing for the turkey. Now I just have to go out and find a big fat out of shape turkey to fill with my stuffing. There might be a turkey or two on Gold Rush Rd.. Do you know of any?

Yes, I am preparing my stufing for the turkey. Now I just have to go out and find a big fat out of shape turkey to fill with my stuffing. There might be a turkey or two on Gold Rush Rd.. Do you know of any?
    Well I'm not fat and definitively not out of shape...just old...so I, probally would give you a nice belly ache.....but I'm sure you could find what your looking for, just come on over and shop around, just be sure and tell everybody who you are.
    BQ

Same merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    I think the obvious question is when did the Japanese steal the gi from the Chinese, right?
    Yes, As anyone can see the GI is just like the cloths the shaolin monks wear without it being orange or blue and having the leg ties ,otherwise it is EXACTLY like the monk garments. I saw a picture of Shi Yang Ming in his orange "GI" once without the legs ties and it looks exactly like it. And considering that the monks supposedly shared the arts with the japanese and okinawans it would stand to reason that they would adopt a uniform that was similar to that of the monks. Does this make sense or not??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Yes, As anyone can see the GI is just like the cloths the shaolin monks wear without it being orange or blue and having the leg ties ,otherwise it is EXACTLY like the monk garments. I saw a picture of Shi Yang Ming in his orange "GI" once without the legs ties and it looks exactly like it. And considering that the monks supposedly shared the arts with the japanese and okinawans it would stand to reason that they would adopt a uniform that was similar to that of the monks. Does this make sense or not??
    um. No? The karate gi was developed from the Judo uniform. The Judo uniform was most likely derived by Jigoro Kano from the kimono and other Japanese undergarments.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    um. No? The karate gi was developed from the Judo uniform. The Judo uniform was most likely derived by Jigoro Kano from the kimono and other Japanese undergarments.
    It is only one of the many possible ways . And where did this Judo uniform come from?? The Kimono?? Where did they get these ideas?? The Monks?? The Chinese??And what is judo?? Shuai Jiao??

You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a 4th and I've never been required to pay for a special class to advance in rank.

Sai is a Japanese word, but the weapon's origin is Chinese. Nunchucku is a japanese term as well, but there is some indication that it had chinese origins as well. (Anybody hear an echo in here?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I've heard this argument, but I don't buy it personally. There's paintings etc of a "V" neck garment that some monks wore, sure, but that doesn't mean it was the precursor to the "gi". Plus, if the "gi" was originally Chinese in origin, why would wearing it in Indonesia make Ie's school look Japanese instead of Chinese? Seems like a mixed message there.

I think there are more credible arguments for wearing a gi other than the "Chinese connection."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I've heard this argument, but I don't buy it personally. There's paintings etc of a "V" neck garment that some monks wore, sure, but that doesn't mean it was the precursor to the "gi". Plus, if the "gi" was originally Chinese in origin, why would wearing it in Indonesia make Ie's school look Japanese instead of Chinese? Seems like a mixed message there.

I think there are more credible arguments for wearing a gi other than the "Chinese connection."
    Fair enough . I would say that it , GI, became popular in Japan and okinawa and that Master Ie saw this and took it from there. I think the knowledge of it's connection to the Chinese Shaolin Monks garments is only a resent acknowledgement , but this does not take away from the fact that it is most likely Chinese in origin, considering a large part of the Japanese culture came from the Chinese back then.

wow...

almost 8000 posts. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a 4th and I've never been required to pay for a special class to advance in rank.

Sai is a Japanese word, but the weapon's origin is Chinese. Nunchucku is a japanese term as well, but there is some indication that it had chinese origins as well. (Anybody hear an echo in here?)
    This brings up a good point actually because on the west coast they did this for many years, they had all the conditioning classes at an additional fee and they were required for rank advancement. The classes cost any where from 25$ to 65$ Like the Yi Jin Jing . outdoor conditioning, etc. and this was in addition to the monthly dues .

Not failing to mention that Advanced black belts had to pay an additional charge monthly for their advanced material.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 12-04-2007 at 02:53 PM.

This brings up a good point actually because on the west coast they did this for many years, they had all the conditioning classes at an additional fee and they were required for rank advancement. The classes cost any where from 25$ to 65$ Like the Yi Jin Jing . outdoor conditioning, etc. and this was in addition to the monthly dues .
    One of the many reasons there's an east & west

Sai

"Sai"

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=VHG32D.flv

Yang Jwing Ming also mentions learning this weapon as part of his white crane curriculum, in his white crane book.

The author of the "Shantung Black Tiger: shaolin art of northern china" book also mentions the cha/sai (and has a picture drawn), as a common kung fu weapon.

I guess all these guys have mixed in Okinawan kobudo with their kung fu, since there obviously aren't enough Chinese weapons to form a well rounded curriculum.

I have no hard evidence of the nunchaku's evolution in China, however there are several related sectional weapons that we know are Chinese, including the three sectional staff, and the two sectional staff/flail.
    I can say from experience that SD does not teach nunchaku the way it is in Okinawan kobudo.
    The SD cha/sai form is certainly not Okinawan. Just one look at the stances and footwork used will tell you that, not to mention the actual method of holding and using the weapon. But you wouldn't know that if you never actually learned the SD cha form, or any Okinawan sai forms.
    Last edited by Leto; 12-03-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"