Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Have you used WC in competition?

Hey Phil,
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Has anyone sparred with a boxer while using boxing gloves? If so were you able to pull off WC techs?
    I did a short stint at a boxing gym here in Ottawa and actually I would do pak sao and then punch with the same hand. Kinda what Dale said except I punched in the face instead of leaving my hand open. Boxing has something similar to pak, you kinda flick punches away

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey View Post
    Hey Phil,

I did a short stint at a boxing gym here in Ottawa and actually I would do pak sao and then punch with the same hand. Kinda what Dale said except I punched in the face instead of leaving my hand open. Boxing has something similar to pak, you kinda flick punches away

J
    I experienced the same "flick" on my boxing stint in Calgary. The flick wasn't "center" oriented, but was effective nonetheless. The partner drill was to flick a jab away with the rear hand and then fire a jab back immediately with the lead hand. The key element of the drill was to not let that rear-flick hand leave the chin for too long or have it go too far. Just enough to parry.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

All my boxing and competitive training was done before I started Wing Chun.

I can still remember certain moves I liked and drilled as a kid that were definite point scorers! Mostly legwork though as I was fighting oldskool Karate guys who could only use their reverse punch. I think I was of the Urquidez/Wallace type generation. A time when the hands were put to the test by the feet, and lost!

Still, during my boxing days I never made it into the ring for a competition, as I was used as a sparring partner for the 'long-term' guys. I remember being hit in the face for the first time with gloves on. Expected it to be like a sponge, but no, it was a brick!

Looking forward to Seni'08 though, as I've heard of a possible Chisau Competition being planned (by Alan Orr). Couldn't enter myself, I feel, but some students may enter if the rules and promotions look good.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

pak da and similar types of techs are called 'counter punching' in the MMA group I work with and I find that in this area, my chi sau skills definately give me an advantage....usually resulting in a clinch or takedown attempt.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    pak da and similar types of techs are called 'counter punching' in the MMA group I work with.
    How about when PakDa is used from an already *in contact* condition?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    How about when PakDa is used from an already *in contact* condition?
    I would see that position as clinching. For me I would make space or clinch.. not throw a pak sao.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    I would see that position as clinching. For me I would make space or clinch.. not throw a pak sao.
    So in order to use WCK techniques you have to NOT be in contact????????
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    In your avatar we see someone applying inside pak da where one arm covers two with a simultaneous strike..
    Are you saying one would need to apply that move from an initial point of no contact--or outside of contact range?????
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-20-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Blog Entries
    Hey Guys,

I have also fought full contact under san shou rules and won the Canadian heavy weight championship back in 2001. One of the most important things is to apply your wing chun "alive", as well as to control the ring space.

Thanks
    Navin

On one of Rodney King's DVD's he shows how to use a move very similar to an inside pak and threading arm to counter the Thai clinch.

AS you suggest, the pak is used to make space. It works quite well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    On one of Rodney King's DVD's he shows how to use a move very similar to an inside pak and threading arm to counter the Thai clinch.

AS you suggest, the pak is used to make space. It works quite well.
    His clinch boxing or "crazy monkey" one?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Do you wear the gloves? What size and do you also work with smaller NHB type gloves?
    Against my boxing buddies i wear 16oz gloves, we dont have head gear so we only use my bag gloves (6 and 8oz) in pad work or very very light sparring or harder 'body shots only' sparring...... we mix types of sparring up a bit.

Ive personally not tried MMA gloves. Put them on in the store, would like them alot i think cause i get much more wrist action which gives me added power and usage out of my VT habbit actions.

Thats why Guarn Sao and my elbows are the biggest asset i have when wearing big gloves, no wrist play needed...its all in the forearms

When you use MMA gloves what type of wraps can/do you use, or are they not necessary with some/all brands ?

Merry xmas you lot...

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

His clinch boxing or "crazy monkey" one?
    the "Rodney King's Street Boxing" series. From his time with Matt Thornton.

I didn't mean to imply that WC had a whole suite of applications in the clinch necessarily, only to point out there were some possibilities.

Drew, best wishes to you and all you other argumentative b******s as well.
    Last edited by anerlich; 12-20-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

i think gloves can benefit the wing chun fighter in a ground and pound situation, or sorry, wing chun can benefit the gloved fighter, as you use forearm contact and elbow position to control limbs rather than having to grip using your wrist...

also, yeah there are many similar actions in wing chun as in other martial arts, as in all martial arts... pak sao/biu sao as a thai clinch escape is one, pak-punch in boxing another, etc... how you train is more important than technique, or having a concept or whatever, its doing it...

ps ex-wing chunner (who still has a place for it in his heart) ****ing about on the forum, have competed in am muay thai and adcc rules grappling... props to everyone who steps up, its not the critic who counts...

Hopefully Sat. I can make a short cilp of ways to use 14-16 oz gloves while sneaking some WC into the mix.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr