Thread: Payback to Shifu

Payback to Shifu

Opened my own Kung Fu school and am wondering if anyone else gives back to their Shifu in some way. His school is still in the area but I am not at all competing with his. He is still my Shifu and our schools interact with each other but I am not sure if I should be giving him something in return. The school is funded by myself alone and I am running my school very similar to his. Does anyone know the traditional way to repay ?

Pay him to come in and do seminars from time to time.

Blog Entries
    agreed.

or you can always just give your sifu a red envelope from time to time.

but yeah, get the students to come up with some money for him to do a seminar.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Is that it ? I was under the impression that there might be a percentage given to the Shifu from profits ? Not that there are any yet, but would I owe him any of that ?

Blog Entries
    if you can afford to.....go for it.

but simply, its just traditional.....not something you HAVE to do, but its tradition.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Go seminars or go broke.

From what I've heard in the past the connection was to give money at the Sifu's Birthday. (probably as needed as well if the individual has baisi'ed the basic rule was that you would have to take care of the sifu in their old age)

There is no norm today.

Some of the bigger schools have a sort of "Franchise" like policy where each branch must submit a percentage of their school earnings/a flat fee monthly.

others invite their sifu's to their school to do seminars thus making them work for it.

One sifu I trained with has changed this a few times.

first it was whatever you could afford, 2nd one stuents tuition a month 3rd is now a percentage.

for me I just do a collection around their birthday.

Is that it ? I was under the impression that there might be a percentage given to the Shifu from profits ? Not that there are any yet, but would I owe him any of that ?

Reply]
    If your Sifu helped with the start up costs, has a financial interest in the school (IE, is an owner), helps teach etc... then you should compensate him. But if all he did was teach you and has no other involvement in your school, then no.

Think about it this way, you don't give money to your 8th grade Math teacher, because you use math to balance you books do you?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Think about it this way, you don't give money to your 8th grade Math teacher, because you use math to balance you books do you?

I wonder how many Geometry disciples there are in the world...

You could always award him with an all-expenses paid trip to the magnificent Chinese Training Center in Hebei. I'll PM Ailsa-2008 to see if she/he can set you up with a good fare.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Invite him for your first belt test. Also for the first Black Sash test.

Maybe for your school after the first year of being open, have a dinner with all the students. Present him with a plaque of apreciation or certificate. Perhaps a well made weapon of sorts. You may include a red envelope also.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

here's an idea

why not just ask your Sifu?

If there is no tradition/guidlines to follow only your Sifu would be able to answer your question.

It would definetly be appreciated by all your other classmates who are soon to follow your path.

Have asked shifu

I thought I would see what others ideas were first so I could have something to go by before I brought the question up to him. I have known my Shifu for a long time now and know how he does things. This would probably be just as akward for him as it will be for myself. I am his first student to open a school so this is new for all. I was just looking for some guidelines first. Thanks for all the input.

whenever my sifu and i go out, he doesnt pay for food or drinks usually. this adds up a lot. and i try to do seminars to bring him in cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

This is just my opinion....

I have always thought if I opened a school, I would give my Sifu a small percentage. That's just me.... I think it's very nice of you to be thinking of your Sifu like that..

Many people today aren't like that..

I know that my Sifu would not ask for anything, but I feel like it's just the right thing... But everyone's relationship with their Sifu is different... My Sifu has never charge me for lesson... I came from a very poor family like most kids, and grew up in a tough environment but came out on pretty good.

So it really just depends on how you feel. No one should hold you against it whether you want to give or not.