Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

What I have encountered.

In my area there is an Kung fu instructor to whom when his students reach a certain level he requires them to call upon demons. To meditate away from the light into the dark. Telling them this is how they will reach their true potential.

I am against any kind of practice of this nature.

It has made it difficult in some ways for me to get new students because things like that get out in a comunity and people do not want their friends or family to be a part of such things and they relate all martial arts as being the same.

I just read this entire threat and I saw somewhere (unless I misunderstood their meaning) that someone said there is no good or evil.

I have heard that statement used with the following. Good is the absence of evil and evil is the absence of Good just like Light is the absence of dark and Dark is the absence of light. I was wandering if this was what you was saying.

Personally.

Religions are personal beliefs in this life and afterlife.

MA study is about training and practicing defense skills.

It is reasonable to have some understanding about the students' ideas of ethics and morality in general. Knowing your students and knowing your teachers etc.

Why you want to study MA?

It is not uncommon that a lot of MA schools have code of ethics or acceptable behaviors.

There would be some kinds of agreements to bind everyone together.

But to enforce a religion may not be a good idea.

Right or wrong may be in a dynamic flux of many factors all the time.

CMA was part of physical culture and must studies for scholars in ancient China.

Wen Wu Ju Bei. Wen Wu Xuan Quan.

Study both literature/history and MA and ready oneself, so that one is complete in both.

Even Confucius or Kong Fu Zi (551-479 B.C.) wore a straight sword with his belt while one hand holding the book and the other hand holding a writing brush.

KFZ even mentioned his swordsmanship and archery or hunting in his books. How to ride a horse and a horse driven carriage etc.
    Last edited by SPJ; 02-13-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Guess what.

Confucius did not mention religion at all in his books and teachings.

In his talks with 72 students recorded in the book or Run Yu;

he said that Zi Bu Yu Guai Li Ruan Shen.

Thou shall not speak of things of strangeness, violence, immorality and spirits.

He renegaded the personal faiths not to be discussed in classes.
    Last edited by SPJ; 02-13-2005 at 06:35 PM.

I was a Buddhist before I was a martial artist.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Martial Arts & Religion

I thought this news bit might generate some discussion.

A new type of martial arts for the BVI – Christian Gung-Fu
    Paul On The Ball Hewlett 21.JAN.08
    In the wake of rising crime in the BVI a new martial arts school has opened with the specific focus of taking crime off the streets and teaching the youngsters to redirect their efforts to something more productive and disciplined.

With this in mind, third degree Black Belt Sifu (Sensei) Gath Hewlett, who has been involved in martial arts for over 25 years and has practiced a number of different styles in the art, has created a new style of martial arts called God’s Christian Gung-Fu Academy (GCGA).

Many will remember Sifu Hewlett as the person who led the way forward for Purple Dragon after Sensei Albert Andrews and his wife departed for the US. Sifu stayed at the helm for over five years, but increasingly, like Bruce Lee, had a burning desire to carry martial arts to new heights in the BVI.

The school, GCGA, has practice three days a week, Monday and Wednesday from 7:30-9:00 p.m. at Body Images located by Botanic Station (by Happy Lion Restaurant - next to Social Development Building) and Saturdays from 3 to 5:30pm in the Sea Cow’s Bay Community Centre yard.

In an interview, Sifu Hewlett first gave me his background in martial arts.

“I have been seriously involved in martial arts ever since I know myself really. As a boy I would practice on my brother but from about the age of 20 I began studying first Judo in Tortola under Sensei Graham from England and then for four years in Canada. I then took up Taekwondo under Professor Dong Ja Yang while at Howard University. Finally I moved onto Don-Jitsu Ryu (a hybrid form of Jiu-Jitsu) under Sensei Albert Andrews of Professor Don Jacob of Purple Dragon for the last 10 years or so, until leaving the organization last year, not long after my wife’s passing.”

I next asked Sifu Hewlett to give some background on the philosophy of the new school. “This school is a conglomeration of many styles. It is an eclectic representation of Chinese Gung-Fu, using mainly the principles of Wing Chun and Hop Gar (monkey) Kung Fu, but also introducing elements of Brazilian Capoera as well as other hard styles (like Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo). The unique combination of styles makes for a unique representation and appearance, as it boasts completely unique forms and self-defense techniques, apart from the Chi-Kung exercises taken directly from Shaolin practices (obtained through research and learned from personal experience directly from practitioners of the art). It is a perfect combination of hard and soft styles,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett also explained what makes this new style unique and more effective than any other. “The philosophy of the school also makes it unique, as it is based solely on Christian principles, not Buddhism, Zen, Taoism or any other Eastern religion. The forms, affirmations, declarations and philosophy are all delicately interwoven to enable the practitioner to attain a highly developed sense of spiritual awareness of God, as he/she practices the movements and progresses through the levels. The journey becomes a highly personalized one and a struggle with self as the main opponent and the Evil One (and our bad habits) as our only enemy,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett next outlined his first five-year goal for the new school. “Over the next five years, I intend to open the school to be available for younger members, two, create some adult members who will rank at the black belt or instructor level, three, open new branches first within the BVI and then throughout the Caribbean and world, four, represent the BVI (either myself or one of my students or both) at an international competition or event so as to enhance the BVI’s tourism industry, and five, contribute to the education of the BVI community in a way that benefits people across all walks of life and age groups,” he explained.

The uniform which is orange also has a special significance. “The uniform was designed to emulate the Shaolin monks in China and also be comfortable and easy to mass produce. The orange colour is one which is chosen by the monks because of its positive energy, without being too loud. One will stand out but can yet be humble. I liked these reasons but chose the colour mainly to emulate the monks. The idea of associating with peaceful warriors, rather than the assassin-type warrior of the ninja (who dress in black) was deliberate. We want the same level skill as the ninja, without the association of being ‘killers’. In fact, we would rather be known as healers and protectors rather than mere fighters. The fighting art is just another road to perfection of self.

He finally spoke of his personal vision for GCGA. “My personal goal is create as many ‘friends’ or ‘healers’ as I can who will come to this level with me, so that we can enjoy and pass on the joys and lessons of getting closer to God to other healing friends. We shall witness to the world the power of Christ through this beautiful art of Gung-Fu. We shall perform seemingly impossible feats in Christ’s name. We shall draw many souls to God and save many from the Enemy’s snares of doom and destruction,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett will hold his first grading this coming Saturday at the Multi Purpose Sports Complex in Road Town opposite the Althea Scatliffe Primary School. For more information contact Sifu Hewlett on 540-1643 or email: timdarx@yahoo.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's typical Christian arrogance: a cultural art from another country just isn't complete unless it conforms to the religious ideals of the West.

They use it as a vehicle, as a kind of candy for children, in order to proseltyze to the masses. I love the fact that he's going to perform miracles.

It's like the kung-fu nuts of the Cultural Revolution.

Question: is this any more acceptable than Chung Moo Quan?

Note: Capoeria, Karate, Monkey kung-fu (Cross-training....LOLOL!!!!)....they're rooted in so-called "pagan" traditions. Capoeira is, traditionally, a rogue art of street hoods; monkey kung-fu has roots in Chinese myth.

Why don't they just create a fighting sytle based on Christian principles? Basically, you're a rag doll, and you just keep turning your cheek. It's a boring kata to watch, but it teaches you just what to do in the face of conflict.

There's a sword form (for the ensiferous C[hristian]MA's), but it only aims at lopping off ears. I can't figure out why.

Watch out for my Doubting Thomas style! It's known for it's finger strikes.......my St. Paul style is rooted in the horse stance, but for some reason you have to fall over when you're performing it.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 01-21-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Nothing is more Christian than kicking someone in the face.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I cant wait to see the double crosses in action
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 01-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.

I like the "no buddhist" thing AND the orange uniforms emulate the shaolin monks
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm confused.

Since when does the study of judo TKD and JJ qualify you to teach wing chun and Hop Ga?

Also, if he is so opposed to buddhism why is his uniform designed to emulate a buddhist robe?

This guy sounds lke a bull**** artist trying to use Christianity to market himself
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

??????????????????

Hop Gar (monkey) Kung Fu,
    didn't know hop gar was monkey kung fu.

“The uniform was designed to emulate the Shaolin monks in China and also be comfortable and easy to mass produce. The orange colour is one which is chosen by the monks because of its positive energy, without being too loud. One will stand out but can yet be humble. I liked these reasons but chose the colour mainly to emulate the monks. The idea of associating with peaceful warriors, rather than the assassin-type warrior of the ninja (who dress in black) was deliberate. We want the same level skill as the ninja, without the association of being ‘killers’. In fact, we would rather be known as healers and protectors rather than mere fighters. The fighting art is just another road to perfection of self.
    idk what to say about this one

This guy is so far off it almost made my head explode.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Have the Virgin Islanders learned nothing?

I hope it's a covert ninja assassin gang.

BVI till I die, sucka!
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 01-21-2008 at 01:47 PM.