Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mac...it just works...

Ok, going that route what we see here is percentage wise, Mac are just as problem prone as anything else.

I find it interesting that one tool says something stupid to you - and you find that as cause celebre' to bash something I don't think you have any experience with.

Reply]
    I am not really bashing Macs, just pointing out they are just as problem ridden as any other platform and therefore don't deserve to be worshiped by thier brain washed followers who act like they are *The* infallible God's of the computing world.

I think you are going a little over board. No one is saying they are not a computer. No one is saying they are 100% flawless (what is?) - but in my experience they have saved me a vast amount of time thanks to the fact that they are generally highly reliable, are engineered to work well between the hardware & software, and the OS is generally a good 5-10 years ahead of whatever windows has at the moment, and is ALWAYS a lot less buggy.

The new Mac OS is the first one where I've heard IT guys say they'll wait to try it, wheras noone is interested in Vista yet, hell they just got XP stable.

For me it is hedging bets and a more robust, elegant operating system that does in fact make tasks easier and 'just works.'

The next ten years will be more interesting and offer a greater challenge as new ways to interface with computers will start to come into their own. A good long range bet is MicroSoft stock on this, as they have much more resources. In the short term I expect Apple to continue to grow and own much of the personal computing/lifestyle/ entertainment hub for the home - but MS will grab EVERYTHING else.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

and is ALWAYS a lot less buggy.

Reply]
    I just have not seen this. In fact, every Mac user I have EVER seen seems to have just as many problems as a PC user....especially when trying to get non Apple software to run. On the other hand, a PC runs everything Apple does. I have Itunes playing just fine right now in fact.

In addition, there has NEVER been a problem on my desktop system that was not ultimately rooted in some sort of hardware/software configuration mistake on my part. This is due mostly to me being a self taught amature builder than anything else.

If you want to bring my laptop into it, then yes you would have some ground to stand on, but is it the PC platform itself? Or the fact that Averatec makes down right crappy laptops? I am saying it's Averatecs fault; and when I installed the same software components I have in my desktop on it, the problems vanished on the software end.....hardware is still an issue though.

But that is still not a problem with the PC platform, I could have gotten a higher end laptop to start with and not had these issues.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 01-27-2008 at 04:05 PM.

The Question really is this....

Does Hellstorm use a Mac or a PC

http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictu...hellstorm1.gif

RD, me old matey,

Reading through this thread, reading your interpretations of the Mac reality, reading your justifications, your research, etc, only tells me one thing.

You are much better with women than you are with computers....

Nostrovia Komard!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

RD, me old matey,

Reading through this thread, reading your interpretations of the Mac reality, reading your justifications, your research, etc, only tells me one thing.

You are much better with women than you are with computers....

Nostrovia Komard
    !

Reply]

LOL!!!

I uh, gotta second that.

But on the other hand your kung fu has vastly improved and your brewing skills are stellar. So life can't be all bad.

Now go buy a Mac.
    www.kungnation.com

Now go buy a Mac.

Reply]
    But I don't need a paperweight

But on the other hand your kung fu has vastly improved

Reply]
    You are too Kind!!

and your brewing skills are stellar

Reply]
    I need to buy a few more 5 gallon fermenters. Once I have 6 total, I will be trying my hand at a straight Cherry wine. My last batch was just freezer distilled rice wine that had cherries soaked in it for a good year. I am hoping that fermenting the Cherries themselves will yeild a better beverage next time.

6, 5 gallon fermenters makes enough Alcohol for half a years worth of internal training formula in one shot.

I can ferment 4 times in a year with them (Each ferment takes 2-3 months to finnish), so by the third ferment it will be experimentation time! I am planning Ginger Ale, Cherry wine and Root beer!

The key is not a straight fruit infusion - you need to add a little rock sugar to bring out the flavor.

If you are trying to make kirschwasser, use fruit alcohol.
    www.kungnation.com

I am going for a fruit wine next. It's going to be a direct fermentation of the Cherries. I am even going to get the Oak barell for the final aging on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    Before my take, here's my background:
    -BS in Computer Science
    -MS in Computer Science
    -Worked at an ISP in High School
    -Worked as a developer for US Department of Defense
    -Worked in US defense and intelligence in Security / Information Operations
    -Currently develop high-performance, network calculation engines in C/C++ for a proprietary derivatives trading company

I can tell you through all my experience that the mac book pro has by FAR been the system of choice for developers and techies.
    I bet you we know some of the same people, because we've got very similar work experience. I think the statement about the mac book pro being by far the system of choice is a bit of an exaggeration. Each and every workplace I've been to in those fields has had exactly one mac evangelist.

Mac Book Pros are nice, but I'd rather save the extra grand

Bundling your own Linux distro sounds fun.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

"I think the statement about the mac book pro being by far the system of choice is a bit of an exaggeration. Each and every workplace I've been to in those fields has had exactly one mac evangelist."

I don't believe this is an exaggeration. You want to see a ton of macs? Try Defcon, or other hacker-esque style conferences. All of our developers at my financial company are getting them, and at my old defense contractor the employees were all buying macs.

Of course it is not universal, but in my experience macs were the popular choice for developers and admins. Most of those people aren't necessarily mac zealots... they want bash, cron, gcc, a ports system, etc, and also enjoy the ease of having working wireless, sound and video. I don't really care who makes it or what the window manager / gui is on top of it... I just know that right now OS X on Apple hardware is first in overall utility. Ubuntu is trying to get there but it will be a while...

I agree that it sucks to have to spend the extra $1k...although I just bought my wife a macbook for like $1399 and it is running great.

Ben