Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: McDojo Stories

Thanks for the info Lucas. The place holds a collection of different MA. You're right about the BJJ community, I will try to get the teachers name.

Wushu Kwan seems to be a UK thing, I've only seen it in the US once, in the 1980's, it looked like Taekwondo with some CMA thrown in to make it "cool"... honestly, it looked like the epitomy of McDojo/Bullshido
    Yea I was thinking the exact same thing. Every image I have seen has been of them flying about or breaking bricks. That doubled with the GIs/belt system pretty much leads me to agree with you. Like I mentioned earlier....Its really the training space that I am after and the gym.

If my Qixing lessons dont start back up soon then Ill be looking for a decent class.....just a shame that there is no Mantis in London. The NamYang guys are pretty cool from what I have seen, maybe ill give them a look.

Any other lurkers know anything about C K Chang?

craig

Wu Shu Kwan

I have been to some of their classes before, its a good workout, very karate like and they think there chinese for some reason. They fight more like kickboxers than anything but they do train hard, not sure if this is any help but they sure don't feel like any kung fu I have ever done

Wushu Kwan?

Wouldn't that be like training in the sport of Football Field or Basketball Gym?

Personally I'd go for the sport of Baseball Diamond. They have all the sneaky techniques like "Steal the Base" and "Bunt".

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    I find it interesting that that Wikipedia states
    Practitioners of Wu Shu Kwan hold two Guinness World Records: for the 'highest jumping kick' and 'breaking the most wooden boards in 2 minutes'.
    The Wu Shu Kwan people I met at competitions in the in the 80’s told me the style that they practiced was a mix of wing chun & hung gar, as both styles are not exactly famous for there kicks, I do find it strange.

Wouldn't that be like training in the sport of Football Field or Basketball Gym?
    You're assuming they're trying to say "Kwoon" or "Guan". Could be a mispronunciation of "Quan"... or a Korean word (I don't know Korean though :P). Martial art fist... I guess, lol.

Well from the few lessons I had last year its more kickboxing with breaking and kata, no wing chun at all,not sure where you got that influence from ???

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    You're assuming they're trying to say "Kwoon" or "Guan". Could be a mispronunciation of "Quan"... or a Korean word (I don't know Korean though :P). Martial art fist... I guess, lol.

I'm not assuming anything.

Go to http://www.wushukwan.com

The characters to the left on the page header spell out "martial method hall".

You can't make this stuff up.

lol, that's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Shi View Post
    I'm not assuming anything.

Go to http://www.wushukwan.com

The characters to the left on the page header spell out "martial method hall".

You can't make this stuff up.
    I love the 'posed' breaking pic on the home page...

Hmmm, the 'bricks' are flying all over...and wait...where is all the debris/dust from this powerful break?? LOL

It's obvious from the pitures they practice Tae Kwon Do. Also saying we do "chinese boxing" is like saying we eat food
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

HAHA LMAO!

Well guys that is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear

....the search continues

craig

What defines a "McDojo" or "McKwoon" (whatever)?

Okay ... I know I'm going to regret this but it is an interesting area of discussion so lets get to it!

What defines a "McDojo" or "McKwoon" (whatever)?

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Blog Entries
    I assume the "McDojo" or "McKwoon" is like local community college, you can obtain general knowledge from it, but you can't obtain lifetime career knowledge from it.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Wow that's a really interesting viewpoint!!! I would have thought most would say it was selling the art, grades, watered down stuff, something "made-up" or perhaps even fraudulent but yours is an interpretation I have never heard before! Thanks for that viewpoint! Much to consider ........

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

A Mc dojo or Mc kwoon is a complete hobby school where the quality of the school is subpar. They usually have a high turn out rate of black belt within a short amount of time. For example, producing a black belt within a 2-3 year time frame. The students show relatively low level skill due to the water down curriculum.

They concentrate on up sales to students. For example, join our black belt program and you get one extra class a week and get ranked up quicker. They use gimmicks to get students to enroll.

They focus on making money, which isn't bad, but do so at the expense of quality.

They usually teach forms with little to no actual combat training.

They profess their style to be to deadly for competition.

I am missing a few things but for the life of me I can't remember them. You should know when you see it!
    What, me worry?