Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greater Interconnected Kicks of Peng Lai

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Just one thread about one aspect: Ti

Kick training is just that, kick training.

No one in their right mind just goes off and throws a high kick w/o setting it up.

IMO, kick training is good to develop both leg endurance and core strength and endurance.

If you never train high kicks then you are removing a tool from the box...maybe not a tool you will use very often in 'real' life but a tool nevertheless.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I really like that form (inter connecting kick), pretty cool. I agree with training high kicks, #1 - high kicking is much more difficult to train and develop than lower line kicking & #2 - High kicking develops awesome power, speed, stability, etc in itself, not to mention your low line kicking techniques. Of course, there's many other attributes developed through this type of training, just wanted to mention the more noticable aspects of this training.

I want to learn this form, Hint .

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Smile

Kicking is not just a powerful offense tool training. It is also for timing, balance and coordination. In traditional training because of the emphasis on horse stances one would become flat footed. The kick training can help to remedy that.

As far as the experience that I have with Kevin's Pong Lai material, there is definitely takedown/breaking falling component with the kick training. BTW, there are also takedown with the Kao Da training as well. I believe Kevin has one of the most comprehensive material in Tanglang Training that is available.

It's great that he's sharing openly IMHO. I will recommend anyone who's interested in mantis training full time for a long time to go to him anytime. Of course if someone is in Europe I would recommend Mike Martello to him/her.

Anyway, Da Ti Shuai Na whether you are in stand up, clinch or ground should be all there.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

sweep kick training

Ah yes, this training for my group unfortunately has been put on the back burner, not until next class that is. I agree this training is essential and will keep you in shape in your old age. It is not easy, and it is full of pain. I was taught a sweep kick drill in my early days of Peng Lai from Shifu Brazier`s kung fu brother Shifu Scolaro, which had the emphasis on the jumping face-hanging kick and the leg sweep. We trained this one outdoors in those days, made it easy to puke and come back for more. My students need to learn this training, they are young and they need to kick. We have been traing the interconnected kicks extensively. As for training to kick high, I remember being told you train this way to condition your body. It does not mean you will necessarily kick high in battle, you will be strong, flexible to execute the kicks as quick as the wind. TBH, most all the kicking I am being taught as of late is to the center of the universe, my nuts. Many of the kicking drills we are doing now are based on busting the other fellows stones. This area is our target, we train to hit the target and the other side best block or you will be talking like Michael Jackson. Well I better break out the puke bucket if Shifu is going teach sweep kick drills.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Kevin - I guess I meant more in regards to defense and prevention type training to avoid getting thrown when using high kicks. I agree they are useful in certain situations, I was just curious about the takedown defense in Pong Lai's stuff.
    Thanks,
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Low not high

This thread has gone to a lot of highkick talk.

But the drill is not teaching high kicks, it is teaching low kicks.

The side kick, once the drill gets going is almost always a kick to the knee. You can throw in rib kicks if you like, but it is mostly to the knee.

The next two kicks are for taking out the legs so they are low kicks to.

The only high kick might not even be a kick at all, it is just jumping over the sweep kick.

In the drill the jump can be trained as a jump kick high, a jump kick low, or after you get too tired, you ust be jumping. ANway will do, but you are learning how to turn your body over and keep it in a good position for delivering blows.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Sorry. The drawings and pics look like they are executed high. Just a question.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

We always train bringing back a kick faster than we throw it out, otherwise, as Jake mentioned, you make yourself vulnerable to a counter. I also agree with Robert that it is good to train to the top of your range, for balance, knowing your center, etc. Would I ever use a kick to the head in a street fight? probably not....
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    most all the kicking I am being taught as of late is to the center of the universe, my nuts. Many of the kicking drills we are doing now are based on busting the other fellows stones. This area is our target, we train to hit the target and the other side best block or you will be talking like Michael Jackson. Well I better break out the puke bucket if Shifu is going teach sweep kick drills.

*gulp* so does this go along with your iron crotch training?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong