Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you realistically defend against a Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by RFM View Post
    Funny, the only time I have been overly concerned about dog attacks was when I was on deployment in Bosnia and Iraq and there were packs of them, scared and hungry, and being the portly fellow that I am - I was concerned.

Peace,
    Bob
    oh man lmao use a funny guy

Usual disclaimer, don't try this at home, don't try this at all, I'm not an expert so don't believe me, etc.

But what seems to work best is just kicking because if you go to the ground with a dog they're all over you. Just kick them in the face -- that usually works.

I've tried a ton of hand techniques and the best seems to be punching them in the head, but most of the time the dog gets teeth in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    you know when it gets right down to it, if you are attacked by a dog,and a big dog for that matter, you are fuked, no ands ifs or buts about it. you are going to get bitten and if it is two dogs attacking you then you are even more majorly fuked than when you got attacked by one dog. you WILL get ripped apart, you will p!ss yourself silly as you are being attacked, you will pray to god that you survive and then IF you come out of it alive, then its off to the ER for rabies shots as well as stitches and then reconstructive surgey to make yourself look like "normal" again. This is FACT.

As for all the coyote comments, coyotes will NEVER allow you to get within 20 yds of them let alone 20 inches. they are reclusive and shy and they will NEVER let you know that they are at your doorstep UNTIL they have carried off your livestock and then yip and yodel off in the distance to celebrate their nightly hunt. you will hear them but you will never see them except in very rare cases.

(since we dont go around carrying sticks and bats and swords and shotguns) The ONLY thing that will help you in a dog attack is IF you are a licensed handgun owner and you have it with you. MACE will just come flowing back into your face and then YOU will be even MORE FUKED THAN FUKED.

Thank your creator or however you see the world and kharma that you have not been attacked by a dog, because if you do get attacked,what did i say before??? YES i said your fuked.

your fuked.

Peace,TWS

its funny the morning "walkers" do carry sticks around here!

wolfgang

my dog has killed three coyotes
    he's mean as HELL
    he likes to fight
    he's bitten 6 people
    (a total of 18 stitches)
    10 days solitary @ animal control
    got his "prison' tattoo

I have to be careful with him around unfamiliar people.

hold ur arm out and present your the outside of your hand (the side with knuckles on it) have your hand just flop let it smell your hand and the dog will ussaully become freindly if it dosn't your hands in a position were it probably wont be sereiously injured (watch your wrist though) and push your hand up (in the same position) this is kind of like a drunken technique to the dogs lower jaw the send your fingers into the dogs eyes. You could also kick it in the ribs dogs are quite weak their.

Quote Originally Posted by BUK SING View Post
    hold ur arm out and present your the outside of your hand (the side with knuckles on it) have your hand just flop let it smell your hand and the dog will ussaully become freindly if it dosn't your hands in a position were it probably wont be sereiously injured (watch your wrist though) and push your hand up (in the same position) this is kind of like a drunken technique to the dogs lower jaw the send your fingers into the dogs eyes. You could also kick it in the ribs dogs are quite weak their.
    Put out your hand? I have a scar on my hand that is solid proof that that is a terrible idea.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Put out your hand? I have a scar on my hand that is solid proof that that is a terrible idea.
    Thats still a good ide because it stops it going to your face stomach or leg.

Very interesting comments.

There are thugs in Britain that use their dogs as weapons. BBC television news last night showed a man training his dog to attack people. My question is what is your defence against the owner hitting or stabbing you, while you busy wrestling or hitting his dog? (Provided the dog has not seriously hurt you first)

Thank you
    Hitman

Realistic May get Ugly

The advantage for the dog usually begins once it has sensed the target is unprepared, but there are also plenty out there that will want to try you no matter what. Before you need it, you need to decide your willing to commit to
    a violent response that is pure business. Yang promoted using a shoe as a gaurd and a slapper; keep your elbows in and use quick movements, provoke the
    animal to commit to a grabbing bite. Once it closes and you are over it, stomp straight down on one of it's rear legs at the elbow- and get clear fast. If you are quick and accurate you can change direction at the last second and punch straight for the nose, or take out an eye once the mouth is busy with your footwear- Those backlegs are totally vulnerable at 90 degrees, fighting dogs plant their rear legs. Domestic dogs are not prepared for this attack, but never try it on a Wolf.
    Last edited by CoolHead; 02-28-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Defending a dog

I read an article in "Black Belt" written by a dog trainer about defending a dog according to his experience, and wasn't very impressed. I wrote a letter to the editor expounding on dogs/people interactions, but they posted instead a letter which raised more questions than it answered. I have been waiting several days for "authorization to post" at their forum, which isn't very vibrant anyway, compared to this one, so I am going to post here instead.

What are my qualifications? I have kept exotic and domestic animals from an early age, including a personal collection which I maintain to the present day. I am particularly partial to reptiles, and worked as a zookeeper for 8 years, and the zoo herpetologist (including many "hot" snakes) for 3 years. I have had American Pit Bull Terriers for over 30 years and corresponded with many famous names during this time, such as Howard Heinzl who had the famous Dibo dog. I have been an APBT club president, representative, organized dog shows, and been involved in this breed at EVERY level. In addition, I have 42 hours of college biology, including graduate herpetology. Also, and most telling, I have been a Postal Clerk for 19 years....

Moving along to the question at hand, how does one deal with dogs? First of all, one must understand that dogs are "bite-oriented". They don't have claws or other mechanisms for inflicting harm. They bite. Secondly, one needs to realize that people are NOT bite-oriented, so one dog biting another dog is not nearly as traumatic as it is for a human to get bitten. Thirdly, it is important to note that the teeth are the hardest part of the human or dog body. Whatever they bite will be seriously hurt. At this stage, let me point out that ALL DOGS HAVE TEETH! It doesn't take a pit bulldog to seriously hurt a person. My mother-in-law was a surgical LVN who worked for a plastic surgeon for many years. The worst dog bite case she ever saw, and she saw them regularly, involved German Shepherds. This is no reflection on any breed. All dogs can cause serious injury. Some years ago, 3 Pekinese mauled a baby to death. So one needs to think in terms of "dogs", not "breeds".

So how does one deal with a vicious dog? There are many facets to this question. If a person knows vicious dogs habitually occupy an area where he or she plans to go, then one should either change his or her route, or make preparations for a problem, or call the local animal control facility and complain. The regular mailman on a route seldom gets bitten by a vicious dog. It is the replacement carrier who is usually in danger. If a person owns a dog which unreliable around his own family, the dog needs to be put down, not given up for adoption to someone unaware of the problem who will get hurt (or his family will get hurt).

What is a "vicious dog" exactly? A vicious dog is one which attacks its own owners or stranger's off of its owner's property. It is popular these days for people to train dogs to attack people, and there are few laws against this abuse of animals. Yet, if they attack another dog, this is a felony in many states. It is very natural for a dog to protect its territory. But it shouldn't attack people outside of its home range. These types of dogs need to be humanely put down. And it should never bark, growl, or snap at its owners in its home range. It must always know it is at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. Realistically, a dog should warn its owner of a problem, but it is up to the owner to judge what to do next.

So we need to think about scenario-based training. What if one encounters a vicious dog in the park? It is useless to express wild opinions without providing genuine solutions to a problem. The first line of defense is a good pepper spray. Not Mace, because dogs don't have tear ducts, and Mace doesn't affect them. Pepper spray, the higher the concentration of capsaicin, the better. Bear spray goes up to 15%, but most dog sprays only have 5%. The spray should shoot IN A STREAM, not a mist. Mist is useless, as the slightest breeze will cause it to disperse. And the stream needs to be aimed at the NOSE, MOUTH, AND EYES of the dog. In spite of this, some dogs are relatively immune to capsaicin, so it isn't completely reliable. One must also test the sprayer to ensure it is working, practice a bit so as not to aim the bottle at one's own face, and make sure the tip is on each time one leaves the house. The bottle should be on the belt or somewhere instantly accessible.

So, what about sticks? Sticks are good, but I see people in the park all the time with cheap pine broomsticks which are too light and fragile to be effective against either people or dogs. One must have a good, strong stick made of red oak, cocobolo, bahi, or ironwood, or perhaps one of the synthetic vinyl sticks. It needs to be heavy enough to actually disable the dog, as simply hurting some dogs isn't enough. In addition, one needs to consider the terrain of the confrontation. Dogs don't maneuver well on asphalt or cement, for instance, so footwork is important. The stick needs to be swung hard on the dog's nose, which is extremely fragile. In addition, a dog can't bite unless it can breathe through its nose. If the nose is missed, the head is OK. Just as people don't like bites, dogs are not inured to striking.

It needs to be said here that hitting a dog isn't always the best strategy. Especially in the fighting breeds, they interpret striking as "Hey, this guy is getting me. I have to try harder." Aggression must be effective, rather than simply pain-oriented. At this point, I need to interject that fighting dogs are recently bred down from a long line of dogs intended for military interventions against people, as well as various uses for bringing down wild animals. But fighting dogs in recent history are bred to fight other dogs, and ignore people. This is an intraspecific, as opposed to interspecific, behavior. Dogs in a dog pit have 2 handlers and a referee in the pit itself, as well as spectators quite often, so they traditionally for the most part ignored people and had to concentrate on their opponent. Anyone who has every entered into serious fighting competition will appreciate this. One doesn't jump off the ring stool and attack the card girl.

Back to sticks, long distance hitting is the best of course, but, unless a person practices, may not be adequate, as dogs are much faster than people. In the event the dog closes and gets a hold on something, one is better off using a 2-handed grip in order to generate enough force to do any good (especially women). One needs to get the dog off as soon as possible, as most dogs have an innate sense of where to attack to incur the most damage. A severed artery or attack on the windpipe, etc., can quickly disable a person to where they can't defend themselves and are at the mercy of the dog. So, gripping the stick with both hands and using it as hammer or pike on the head and body is one strategy.

The stick can also be shoved down the dog's mouth or between the jaws to impair biting/breathing. This is the principle of the "break stick" which has typically been associated with dog fighters. In reality, the break stick is the safest and most humane way to get one dog off another dog, or off a person. This stick looks like a wooden practice blade, and is simply inserted between the dog's teeth so that the mouth can be pried open while the other hand is holding the scruff of the dog's neck. The cur breeds, e.g. other than APBT's, are much more dangerous to people in this respect as they will snap at anything when they are in pain. The pits usually are focusing on the object of their anger.

As far as knives go, the idea is the same as with people and the targets are the same for a dog or person. A person needs to have a one-hander readily accessible to deal with dogs. One really obvious target on a dog is the kidney. These are usually very accessible to a blade, and will result in unconsciousness of the dog in 20 seconds or so. The kidneys are right behind the rib cage. Obviously, as with people, the eyes are another target. The problem, of course, is maintaining one's composure as the dog chews on some body part. Here in Texas, one can obtain a concealed weapon permit and blow the dog away with a gun when attacked.

I haven't read any of the posts on this thread and I'm not really interested in anybody's opinion or "spins", only facts. I also don't care for the PETA people who put other species' interest ahead of our own, just as I don't like the dog people, a al Vick, who sacrifice the dogs and their buddies to save their own rear ends. I can guarantee everyone that, until we take care of people first, all other species are doomed. Right now, on this planet, habitat destruction in Third World countries has wiped out thousands of species. We are well into a great species extinction which will far exceed the dinosaur and related group extinction of 65 million years ago, all because of human overpopulation. However, I will gladly field anybody's serious animals questions. If, however, someone want to harass me with stupidity, I will post it here and ridicule it for the world to see. This seems to cure a lot of goofiness.

I love dogs and all animals, but people hold the key to the future at this point.....

fact or fiction

I just remembered that there are books written about Master Wong Fei Hung's life. They included two incidents about him fighting dogs. I cannot remembered the exact detail. I am not sure whether they were fact or fiction. Therefore, you have to check them out for yourselves.

Incident one - A friend (X) of Mater Wong Fei Hung told him that a man from Europe was offering 50 pieces of gold to any unarmed person who could defeat his dog. The organisers would not take any responsibility of the injuries the contestants might received from the dog. They went to watch the fights and noticed that all the contestants were torn into pieces by the dog.
    X told Master Wong Fei Hung that he was very disappointed to see the local Chinese being beaten by a dog. Master Wong told him that the reasons why the Chinese lost.
    1. they all fought the dog as though they were fighting a human. The dog was attacking the lower part of the body. All the contestant were forced to drop into low stances in order to fight it. They were fighting the dog's term.
    2. the dog was very well trained and very smart. It was fast and very aggressive. It was more mobile than the human.
    3. the contestants had no experience fighting a dog before, while this dog had plenty of experience fighting human.

Master Wong told his friend that he would fight the dog the using the monkey style. Next day Master Wong entered himself into the tournament He used monkey style to confuse the dog, but did not attack at all for a very long time. The audience thought that he was going to be bitten by the dog. He let the dog did all the attack, until it run out of breath and slow down. He then pretended to hit its head. As the dog lift up its head and tried to bit his hand, he immediately stamp the back of the dog with his kick and broken its back. When he tried to claim his prize, the owner refused to pay him. Master Wong ended up to fighting the dog's owner in order to get his money.

The second incident was that his enemies sent three dogs to kill him. He killed all three dogs without getting bitten. He fought the dogs one at a time.

how to defend a dog

In the first place, a dog does not tear a person to pieces. It takes a really large animal, like a bear, tiger, or alligator, to tear a person to pieces. On the other hand, it does not take a very large dog to terrorize a human. People have no natural weapons, e.g. large teeth or claws, to deal with a dog, so it is understandable that a person might be terrified if a vicious dog attacked. Of course, the larger the dog, the more deadly the attack. The only reason the giant breeds like mastiffs, bull mastiffs, St. Bernards, rottweilers, etc., are not involved in more fatal attacks on humans is that they are not as popular or easy to maintain, and therefore not as common, as the smaller breeds, like APBT's, German Shepherds, Chows, Doberman Pinschers, etc.

Secondly, the stories of the old Chinese masters are myths and the stuff of legends, and don't seem to be based on specific incidents. Rather they are glorified stories enhanced by their students to make them look even better than they probably were in life. Obviously, we have more and more dedicated martial artists of all types in the world today. It only makes sense that some of these people are the equal or better than the martial artists of yesteryear.

So saying, it would be very difficult for an unarmed person to defend unarmed against 3 large, determined dogs, moreso than 3 unarmed people. It is virtually impossible to break a dog's back with a kick. I have never heard of anything less than a car paralyzing a normal-sized dog. It is easier to thrust a stick down the dog's throat or jam it between the jaws to prevent it biting. In addition, because dogs have no other weapon than their teeth and jaws, people in the past who fought wolves and dogs would control the head by gripping the nape of the neck or jamming a gloved hand into the mouth and pulling down the lower jaw while they strangled around the neck with the other arm. Legends are nice, but we need to stick to the reality of what happens when a real person, for instance, meets up with a vicious dog in the park of street.

At this point, I will touch on a few other strategies for dogs. If the person is handy with a stick or sword cane (which they are conveniently carrying), the stick or blade can be thrust downwards right between the shoulder blades of the attacking dog (assuming it is not very large), just as a matador thrusts the sword on a bull, and it will stop the dog in its tracks. This technique is the downwards version of the "lion-killing technique" of kung fu, where the end of the spear is planted in the ground and the spear is angled upwards to catch the cat as it makes its final jump.

Also, an umbrella is can be opened to intimidate the dog. For some reason, dogs are in frightened or put off by an open umbrella (The frilled lizard of Australia uses a similar strategy). In addition, any kind of cattle prod or taser is terrifying to a dog (as it is to people). For really large dogs, we have a saying, "The bigger the dog, the smaller the heart". So a solid blow with a stick to the nose, head, or ear is usually sufficient to put them off. Ideally, though, most dog attacks can be prevented by calling in offending owners and their dogs to the local animal control authorities before an attack ever takes place, and by euthanizing dogs which prove to be aggressive to people.

In the first place, a dog does not tear a person to pieces.

You are very fortunate and never have the experience of having several chunk of your own flesh removed by a dog. I got several chunk my own flesh removed by a neighbour's dog when I was very young. My mother had been bitten by dogs before, but she never had the experience of seeing chuck of her own flesh being removed by the dogs.

Certainly a vicious dog can tear off a chunk of flesh, break small bones, and, given a little time or perhaps a pack of dogs, maim and maul to the tune of hundreds of stitches, as well as severing arteries causing blood loss resulting in death. Small children and elderly people are especially vulnerable, as they are physically vulnerable and unable to defend themselves. I had an English Mastiff which could chew up the large joints of a cow like candy. However, a dog cannot tear off an arm, leg, or head as we have all seen happen with bears, sharks, alligators, tigers, and the like. Definitely, though, it has been proven over and over that dogs can kill people, and the smaller the person and larger the dog, the more dangerous the result. I can recall years ago when 3 Pekinese mauled a baby to death.

On the other hand, as the former president of an ADBA-sponsored club here, I once organized and ran an APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier) - only fun show where we had 112 entered dogs without a single incident of any kind. I have offered to lecture on the care, restraint, and handling of dogs here, as we, like most cities, have a big problem, yet I never got any response at all from any dog organizations here. Apparently, they like things to happen first so they can provide a knee-jerk reaction after the fact, or maybe they simply like to appear to know everything.

The gist of my lectures would be the methods and different types of effective restraint of a dog, as well as the bad ideas. For instance, double nylon collars, rather than a single leather collar. Eventually the leather can stretch and the dog gets away because the owner never checks it. And one would be amazed how many people tie up their dogs with rope or light chain, which any self-respecting dog will chew out of immediately. And some people walk or tie up their dogs in harnesses, which some dogs are very adept at backing out of. A dog anywhere in close unavoidable contact with people should be muzzled just as a courtesy.

And it's amazing how many dog owners think it's funny when their dog barks at someone, either off- or on-lead or through or across the fence. Not many people find this amusing. Or how many people will let their dogs loose unrestrained on their property with the result that the dog runs off the property to challenge someone or chase something, then runs back on the property. Also a dog should never be aggressive towards its owner, even when pushed off its food dish. It should never growl at the owner's family, and especially not at children. If it runs off its property and attacks a person or another animal, it should be euthanized. No 2- or 3-strike rule, because the 1st strike could kill or maim a person. And there is liability on the part of the dog owner. The injured person has recourse to civil suits. Sue the pants off the dog owner.

A dog should be trained to stay in a travel kennel when on the road, so it doesn't run out and chase or attack someone or something. The collar should be no looser than 2 fingers between collar and neck, and no tighter than 1 finger. The size of the collar and strength of the lead and clasp should be proportionate to the size of the dog. Double clasps with strong swivels are a good way to prevent a dog from unfastening a single clasp, which some dogs have a knack for doing. Of course, all dogs used in a public setting should have a minimum of training. It only takes 10 - 15 minutes of training per day from an early age, say 4 - 6 weeks, to train a dog.

A dog which attacks its owner, family, or friends without good cause should be euthanized, not taken to the pound or given away where it becomes someone else's problem. And a loose dog or other dog problem should be reported to the proper authorities BEFORE an accident or tragedy. You'd be surprised how fast these bad-assed gangbangers with impressive dogs run and hide under their bed the first time something comes down. Who did you see defending Michael Vick?... not that he deserved any defense. A guy who would electrocute or drown dogs that just fought for their owner should be drowned or electrocuted himself. But his own family and friends rolled over on him and ****ed on themselves to save themselves stiffer charges and potential jail times and fines.

When one's dog of a particular breed attacks someone, it reflects on the whole breed, not just the individual dog or the owner, just as a guy who trains in karate, MMA, or any martial art, then gets busted for rape, child porn, mugging, or drugs, reflects on the whole art. People are fear-mongers. They need to know dogs, and by extension the dog owners, are under control, rather than out to get them. Sorry, I tend to rant on this subject. BTW I see where LA just passed a law requiring most dogs and cats to get spayed or neutered. I think LA will always have a problem until they require the spaying and neutering of most people. As the late great Pete Sparks said, "The more I see of people, the better I like dogs"....

Quote Originally Posted by latta View Post
    .... I think LA will always have a problem until they require the spaying and neutering of most people.....
    An interesting idea.... probably save a few bucks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by latta View Post

What are my qualifications? I have kept exotic and domestic animals from an early age, including a personal collection which I maintain to the present day. I am particularly partial to reptiles, and worked as a zookeeper for 8 years, and the zoo herpetologist (including many "hot" snakes) for 3 years.
    So, what do I need to do if I'm being attacked by a snake?

By the way, good luck with your herpes (I didn't even know there was an -ology to the study of herpes, or that those infected with the disease were verifiable -ologists. At least someone's out there fighting the big nasty.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.