Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai Crescent Kick

Lama Pai Crescent Kick

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-f8raat&Ux=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWrGuWU2Nk

at 00:31 Tristan does the inside crescent kick I was shown in Kaido's kajukenbo-Hop Gar the same hand slaps the foot. Usually when I see this kick in other styles they use the oppossitte hand...using the same hand is technically harder.

Anyone else use this or have any information on why some styles choose one way over the other?.

I have seen and done it both ways - same and opposite.

When doing multiple kicks ( Piin Teui into Seung Fung Teui) I usually do one on each hand - inside crescent opposite hand, jumping inside crescent on the same hand.

In the Lama Sup Ji I like to use the opposite hand just because you land in a poon sau/so choih and I find it more comfortable to slap my left hand, then do the poon sau as opposed to switch.

That being said I don't think there is any difference or reason which hand is used. Of course I could be completely wrong

-David

just FYI......

The way it is done in that clip is NOT the way CTS taught that set
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

paak geuk

It may have to do with how the individual interprets the technique. The "paak" or pat with the hand does two things: it illustrates the point and time of contact to judge the quality of the kick and it indicates that one hand is holding and stabilizing a part of the enemy's body. As an example: hold your opponent's forearm while kicking his shoulder joint.

JD

In that form, you are supposed to kick with the OPPOSITE hand, no question about it.

Also - a lot of jumping, running and skipping in that form that left my mouth agape. That is NOT how it was done by CTS and I have never taught it that way either.

It's really been significantly altered. Not so much in sequence, but the leaving out of a few techniques and 80% are done differently.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 03-28-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    In that form, you are supposed to kick with the OPPOSITE hand, no question about it.

Also - a lot of jumping, running and skipping in that form that left my mouth agape. That is NOT how it was done by CTS and I have never taught it that way either.

It's really been significantly altered. Not so much in sequence, but the leaving out of a few techniques and 80% are done differently.

the student has so much natural talent & potential and it would be a shame if he is being taught improperly.

I remeber the thread when the altering of that form was mentioned, for my case though this is ****ing curious ****e...Kaido taught that kick in the 70's when Tristan was in diapers...where did this kick come from...we always do it like this....with your right hand grab the right side of his head and slam your right inside crescent kick heel into the left side of his face...use it after you hit his groin making him bend over...

huh....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    just FYI......

The way it is done in that clip is NOT the way CTS taught that set

Not exactly sure what your point is, I though it was well preformed and the question was about the commonality of this kind of crescent kick in Tibetan arts. Do you perform every moment in your system exactly the way your Sifu did? Exactly the same? You haven't evolved at all since you learned your forms 20 years ago. Your Sifu taught forms right?

Please explain to me which one of these forms is the correct one, they are all Sil Lum 6 right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcVDuxJqJWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5gbchYgGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lyMNVhUH4g

seems like most Sifu's change their forms a little and "evolve" them. Like the awesome vids Sifu Mike put up about Lama & Hop Ga

The criticism of Tristan seems fairly unfounded. I can say from experience that his kung fu is first rate for guys our age, he is a good friend.

Not trying to start trouble as I'll be in NYC studying Sun Style with my Shifu Ping Cheng all summer and training with my brothers Gus & Tristan and Sharif and Ben Hill aka MoShan....
    I hoped to maintain a good relationship with you as Ping has good things to say about you and Sifu Mike. Your Lama looks quite a bit like the Bak Hok I learned on canal st. 4 years ago and so it interests me.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post

Not exactly sure what your point is,
    The point is, you can not use that youtube clip as indicative of what CTS taught. Really pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post

The criticism of Tristan seems fairly unfounded.
    There wasn't any criticism of Tristan, just a plain statement of fact, what he did is not the way the form was taught by CTS. He could have done a perfect version of Bassai Dai (a shotokan set) and while we could laud his fine performance, we'd also say "that is not CTS material)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

on the contrary; I think Tristan is a very good martial athlete. I think he performs well. That is not the question which was brought up. It wasnt a matter of whether or not his kick was right or wrong, just about opposite hand or same hand. CTS did both types, but it is opposite in that form. No one is ragging on Tristan or anyone else here.

Dude, who cares? The hand is for spotting. It has no martial value...........

You could say--it's for targeting, or for accuracy, or even for iron palm if you want.

Who cares? The form looked good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Dude, who cares? The hand is for spotting. It has no martial value...........

You could say--it's for targeting, or for accuracy, or even for iron palm if you want.

Who cares? The form looked good to me.
    You are leaving out another component. It is not taugth as either or any of those things in the Lama style.

and "Who cares?" Obviously the people that are taking the time to write on this thread, you being one of them, or so it seems.

The fact that you say it has no martial value....says a lot. Maybe you should consult your buddies John T. or your other alter ego. And am I correct in saying that you are a Shaolin Do student???

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    It may have to do with how the individual interprets the technique. The "paak" or pat with the hand does two things: it illustrates the point and time of contact to judge the quality of the kick and it indicates that one hand is holding and stabilizing a part of the enemy's body. As an example: hold your opponent's forearm while kicking his shoulder joint.

JD
    Hello JD, paak geuk is that a tactic or the name for this type of crescent kick...what's Geuk?.

Has anyone seen the hand method Tristan and Kaido use for their tornado kicks?.

I still think it would be a wonderful learning experience to see something taught by CTS performed by either Sifu David Ross or Sifu Michael Parrella at full speed and intensity. There have been multiple videos put up of Sifu Steven Ventura that were incredible. Loved watching every second, and would love to see more. I'm just not sure why your posting up vids of Ventura and not yourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by perpetualstudnt View Post
    I still think it would be a wonderful learning experience to see something taught by CTS performed by either Sifu David Ross or Sifu Michael Parrella at full speed and intensity. There have been multiple videos put up of Sifu Steven Ventura that were incredible. Loved watching every second, and would love to see more. I'm just not sure why your posting up vids of Ventura and not yourselves...
    Vids of Steven Ventura were from Demos that we just happened to have on tape. There are instructional videos out there of me doing a few forms. They don't suit you? That's too bad I guess.

If you want to see David Ross, I suggest you go visit him. Nothing to be 'not sure' about. If I had video of me doing a lama form at a demo, you'd see it on youtube. In most of the older demo's I usually demo'd CLF.

Why are you complaining about not being able to see either myself or David Ross - why do you even care? Don't like criticism? Dont' put your videos out there.

Frankly, it wouldn't matter what I showed you. You saw my students compete in the same division as you did at the 5 tigers tourny a few years ago. You saw differences then, right? Didn't make a difference to you, right? You're still training the same way? So what would you LIKE to see? What would it matter?

As far as 'wonderful learning experiences', it's probably best to stick to learning with your Instructor.

There is no secret that your instructor is not really on good terms with myself (although we recently chatted) or David...

Why are you trying to poke a stick at it...? If I showed you that the crescent kick is done with the other hand, what exactly would that mean to you???

Just stick to what your teacher shows you and don't worry about his classmates.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 04-03-2008 at 07:58 AM.