Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Swords

Butterfly Swords

I read somewhere that Butterfly Swords are not a Chinese weapon; but they are used by Lau Gar and Wing Chun. What do people think? Are they defensive or only offensive?

They are actually called Butterfly Knives or wu dip do (dao). they are chinese and so is wing chun and lau gar. as for offense and defense, they are knives what do you think they are for?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes, they are intermediate length

it is called southern blade or nan dao.

usually people practice with both hands

so they come in pair.

it is thus called butterfly double blades or hu die shuang dao.

it is very difficult to practice and very easy to cut yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fta9l...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snln5...eature=related

They work great in my practice. In weapon sparring and training the butterfly swords are one of my top favorites. They are my top favorite to practice with actually when I really think about what time I have put into which weapons, I just couldn't live without using them every couple of days. Big fun, esp. with PakHokPai practice.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

Thanks, people/

I read they were called Butterfly Swords so as to distinguish them from the single butterfly knife.

What did I think they were for? Well, I know a sword is a cutting weapon and cuts/slices people, but is also used for ward off and in Sticky Swords exercises for defence as well as offensce. I know very little about the B.S. and so was wondering if they are purely for offence with little or no defensive/ward off techniques. I mean, even fans can be used to ward off.

does no one realise how stupid these people look ???

half of the movements in those forms wouldnt work

if you wanna learn how to use a knife well go to a pekiti tirsia kali teacher or an escrima teacher

if you want to learn to use a sword do fencing or kendo

its pretty obvious that however cma is teaching weapons these days its the furthest away from reality you could possibly get

i mean at least modern wushu guys look good

trad guys dont look good and there stuff doesnt work
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

butterfly knives can be a little awkword. kinda looks like the guy in the first clip was swatting flies
    Last edited by gwa sow; 04-23-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    does no one realise how stupid these people look ???

its pretty obvious that however cma is teaching weapons these days its the furthest away from reality you could possibly get

i mean at least modern wushu guys look good

trad guys dont look good and there stuff doesnt work

From the mouths of babes.. .

Zhong,

Yes butterfly swords can be used to ward off. If you havent' any large knives or B.S. to train with get 2 dowell rods or sticks and cut them to 12" long. Any martial movemnets you can do wielding those 2 rods can be done with butterfly swords, the real swords will have the advantage of not only stabbing and cutting but sturdy metal adding to the hit power and are more fun to train with. Also you can use them upside down and enter a whole differnt world of trapping just like with tonfas.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

this set is close to the way i learned. not exact, but similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9DMpEN0Hc
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Great stuff, Thanks again.

Think I'll be getting some.
    Looks like effective weapons that can be substitued for all sorts of things like chopsticks, etc.

I wouldn't substitute them for anything. lol

GA- you gotta ease off on blanket statements regarding subjects you haven't wet your feet in. You and a million others that is. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Knife and sword fighting was pretty much it at one time in history. Staff and stick fighting too. But today, 2008, just walking about with a hand full of knives will get you attention you really don't need. Using them against another person would even get you a stretch in a penetentury. Possibly a lifetime in one. So I consider it a complete and total waste of time to even practice it. Of course if you are just doing it for tradition's sake to show it off, that is another thing. But otherwise I would not waste my time at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Knife and sword fighting was pretty much it at one time in history. Staff and stick fighting too. But today, 2008, just walking about with a hand full of knives will get you attention you really don't need. Using them against another person would even get you a stretch in a penetentury. Possibly a lifetime in one. So I consider it a complete and total waste of time to even practice it. Of course if you are just doing it for tradition's sake to show it off, that is another thing. But otherwise I would not waste my time at it.
    spoken like a true... someone who has never even learned a weapons set.

lol.

by your logic, nearly everything is a waste of time and one should only go and join a nuclear launch squad so that they will never practice anything so horribly antiquated.

you do realize that transposition is possible and that you could bust a broom in half and use the principles of double weapons in order to protect yourself. or, if you have staff training, you could utilize a mop in similar fashion when presented with the opportunity to do so.

I would make the comment that those who are vehemently against these things are usually the ones who don't know a lick about them other than a picture in a magazine.

whatever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Golden Arhat-if taught correctly, Chinese butterfly knives, broadsword, gim, etc share many of the same principles and techniques as the Phillipino blade arts. I have trained "a bit" in Sayoc Kali, and Pekita Tirsia as well as TCMA, and the similarities far outnumber the differences.
    When people make blanket statements, whether it is about weapons, forms, styles, techniques, whathaveyou, you need to ask,"What have you actually seen, what have you actually felt, who have you actually met, and who have you actually touched hands with?"

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Golden Arhat-if taught correctly, Chinese butterfly knives, broadsword, gim, etc share many of the same principles and techniques as the Phillipino blade arts. I have trained "a bit" in Sayoc Kali, and Pekita Tirsia as well as TCMA, and the similarities far outnumber the differences.
    When people make blanket statements, whether it is about weapons, forms, styles, techniques, whathaveyou, you need to ask,"What have you actually seen, what have you actually felt, who have you actually met, and who have you actually touched hands with?"
    so out of interest

which system do you think has better knife training currently (not talking about techniques because well a punch is a punch right)

pekiti tersia or CLF, hung gar etc ???

plus i was commenting on those videos

which in my opinion are pretty funny looking
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.