Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This man has wing chun skills

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure what you mean...

Meaning, no matter who presents the clip and how good the outcome, they will always say wing chun is no good as a fighting art because one as too take it to a pro or semi-pro level, meaning here on this forum someone has to be hurt or knock out, too validate that fact…

For me, it’s just way too much work and maybe a lot of future problems to validate a fact…

To me a fight is a fight no matter where it’s located…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 04-24-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Meaning, no matter who presents the clip and how good the outcome, they will always say wing chun is no good as a fighting art because one as too take it to a pro or semi-pro level, meaning here on this forum someone has to be hurt or knock out, too validate that fact…

For me, it’s just way too much work and maybe a lot of future problems to validate a fact…

To me a fight is a fight no matter where it’s located…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.
    I don't agree, what do you base this opinion on?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't agree, what do you base this opinion on?

That’s the same thing I said, but those were the stipulations I was given before they would accept a clip from me as a validated fact…

Ali Rahim.

Well that's just silly.
    You don't have to KO anyone to prove you are a better fighter, skill is skill and its obvious when a person fights.

I’m with you all the way on that one… But if it’s a good clip, then they’ll say you picked a bum who had no skills…

That’s why they suggested a cage fight or a ring fight or some type of promotions deal or something, at least that’s what they said to me before I could even begin to make the clip… And I think that’s way too much too prove a point…

I was dealing with people from different schools (SPARRING), and different systems and all, but coming from me, it was not good enough… Who knows maybe a clip like that will pop up some day…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’m with you all the way on that one… But if it’s a good clip, then they’ll say you picked a bum who had no skills…

That’s why they suggested a cage fight or a ring fight or some type of promotions deal or something, at least that’s what they said to me before I could even begin to make the clip… And I think that’s way too much too prove a point…

I was dealing with people from different schools (SPARRING), and different systems and all, but coming from me, it was not good enough… Who knows maybe a clip like that will pop up some day…

Ali Rahim.
    Do you have any links to said clip ?

Do you have any links to said clip ?

No, not at the moment… I have all kinds of stuff on V.H.S dealing with sparring years ago (tournaments), but I’m sure that wont work for them also…

I know a lot of wing chun families, and have been to their kwoons (over a dozen) many of times and they do also spar, maybe not everyday but one to three times a week, but most people from almost every school or system just don’t post there sparring sessions, I don’t know why they just don’t …

With this MMA thing, most don’t feel that it’s a good fight unless one is fighting in a cage or training for competition, but it’s a quick fix for those who just cant seem to make their mother art come to life (most of the time a stand up art) so they can get that satisfaction of achievement by taking it back to old school (fifth grade) grabbing, falling in the mud and holding on real tight…

When I was growing up in Detroit, it was the other way around you try too grab someone and lose an ear clean off your head from a right hook, that you never seen coming and the hands where the supreme test of fighting skills and still are where I’m from…

What I’m saying is this; if they cant take a beat down with the hands, its back to fifth grade playing in the mud, some people hands are just to quick too shoot on… You could get real ugly with someone with good quick hands…

In fact it’s a class within its self (sparring), the ideal of sparring should be taught to the student with proper guidance from their sifu, not cut lose like a pit-bull…

And if all the things that one trained in the past or in the present, meaning, forms, drills, are not understood, and if one takes a short cut by eliminating half of the system from their limited understanding… Then one will always have a problem when they try to present wing chun within a fight and that’s with any art, not just with wing chun…

Ali Rahim.

Interesting view Ali.
    Can't say that I agree with everything you said, but thanks for stating your opinion.

SAme Sh1T different day

I quite liked the clips from what they were; chi sao.

Dont think there is any need for terencing

No be all nd all and no need to over analyse IMO and expect them to translate into anything other then what was shown.

chill and just enjoy the show for jc's sake

I have no need to be upset in fact didn’t know I came off that way… I think I understand, cuz the truth can be a Mother Fu*ker…

Ali Rahim.

lmao the reason we do dan chi-sao , chi-sao....is to develop the idea, not to stick.
    Lol do you want a round of applause? This is obvious to anyone who tries fighting, not exactly rocket science. The thing about the lower tier WSL students (eg Bayer) is that they all act like they cured cancer or something. Sure your guys have the elbow correct, but your power is lacking. Obvious deficiency but you are so pleased about the elbow that you don't go any further. What Philip Bayer has is the "bare bones" WSL framework. He understands the system but he's very much limited.

When you compare to a top WSL guy the difference is laughable, but strangely these ones don't go around bragging.

Have you ever touched hands with Philipp?
    who's bragging ? you brought it up

bare bones good

You're the one doing the bragging, that's why I felt compelled to comment. It's easy to appear like Mr know-it-all when your are on a thread with a high proportion of people who don't know anything. This would be fine if you remained silent or plainly stated the answer. Instead you do the lol, nudge nudge, wink wink routine to try and make yourself appear big and clever. It's pathetic.

And yes I have touched hands with Bayer. He's ok but far from great. And he lacks the body mechanic.

Interesting view Ali.
    Can't say that I agree with everything you said, but thanks for stating your opinion.

Why don’t you make a clip, and I’m sure you wouldn’t have to go through those stipulations and loops?

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    You're the one doing the bragging, that's why I felt compelled to comment. It's easy to appear like Mr know-it-all when your are on a thread with a high proportion of people who don't know anything. This would be fine if you remained silent or plainly stated the answer. Instead you do the lol, nudge nudge, wink wink routine to try and make yourself appear big and clever. It's pathetic.

And yes I have touched hands with Bayer. He's ok but far from great. And he lacks the body mechanic.
    Pot calling the kettle black with that statement. The fact that you ASSUME that a majority of people on this forum don't know anything...puts you in the same boat as the nudge nudge wink wink guy.

Either way...the guy seems to have good chi sao skills and seems to be geniune in his approach to teaching. That's what this thread is about, isn't it?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."