Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ya Ya (ufc 83 spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Probably along the lines of, "Why the hell am I in the cage with this big mofo?"
    That being said, I wont dog him for backing up the whole fight. At least he stepped in the begin with, though that will probably be the only time he'll get a shot from Dana.

Its still hard to fight off your back though. No matter how good he may be at the position. You get wore out so much faster. Its harder to breath, punches hurt you a lot more than you can hurt them. Not the place you want to be against someone like GSP. That combined with the fact he never really had the chance to mount an offensive. GSP pulled side a lot too, and layed out punishment from there.
    with kalib,

Its one thing to backup for strategy, its another to run around the whole fight. I give him all the respect for going into the fight, but I honestly I would have rather had my hand broken or been knocked out. Its permentantly out in the world for the rest of your life.. you look like the biggest punk b---h.

Fighting on your back is a bread and butter tactic from "GJJ" and BJJ. Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out its a hard position and its not the "best". That being said I would hope a person of Serra's skill level could have pulled something off better than that. I don't know the level of his injury... so maybe that played a big part in the fight. Half guard and full guard are not that bad of a position even in MMA. Granted GSP is a monster, so is Serra. Serra is no chump and he isn't fighting GSP out of pure luck.

GSP out grappled Matt, just that simple, he took him down at will, established dominate position and finished him off, albeit with strikes rather than subs.
    Still, taking someone down at will and dominating them via positioning is the core of grappling and BJJ in particular.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

in my eyes, Serra merely failed to bring it that night and was handled more or less like a ragdoll throughout that fight. It didn't even go the distance.

not harping on Serra. Everyone has a low day. That was his.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nate Quarry looked pretty awesome too...I liked the way he was mixing up his striking. Too bad the other guy didn't give him a better fight...it seemed like when he engaged he did alright...but then he would become tentative.
    A unique snowflake

If you are not a BJJ guy and/or you don't know Serra, I guess it's hard to appreciate how amazing what GSP did was. Serra is VERY HIGH LEVEL BJJ, he is a black belt under Renzo and a mundial champion. He has an amazing guard. That GSP passed it, looking like he was passing it at will, it is an amazing thing. His entire ground and pound would not have been what it was if not for this aspect. Props to GSP, amazing fight
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    If you are not a BJJ guy and/or you don't know Serra, I guess it's hard to appreciate how amazing what GSP did was. Serra is VERY HIGH LEVEL BJJ, he is a black belt under Renzo and a mundial champion. He has an amazing guard. That GSP passed it, looking like he was passing it at will, it is an amazing thing. His entire ground and pound would not have been what it was if not for this aspect. Props to GSP, amazing fight
    Correctmundo !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

UFC cut Starnes contract and booted him off the cards.

I personally think that Starnes wanted it that way and hence his really poor showing.

and yeah, i agree, Serra is a primo bjj guy. Which in turn shows that GSP works really realy really (add 489 more reallys here) Hard.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    UFC cut Starnes contract and booted him off the cards.

I personally think that Starnes wanted it that way and hence his really poor showing.

and yeah, i agree, Serra is a primo bjj guy. Which in turn shows that GSP works really realy really (add 489 more reallys here) Hard.
    I'm not sure what starnes was thinking.

Its funny the first GSP vrs Serra , Serra beat GSP at "his game" and the second time GSP schooled Serra at "his game".

GSP is clearly an amazing MMA fighter. His wrestling skills are amazing.
    I wonder what a third match will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post

I wonder what a third match will bring.
    "PAIN"

(you got to do it with a Mr. T voice)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    "PAIN"

(you got to do it with a Mr. T voice)
    sorry I didn't find a clip of him saying that but this was funny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMib...eature=related
    I'll give Serra some credit, and third match would be fun to watch. I don't think he would take it lightly, his game would probably be better... who knows.
    Last edited by monji112000; 04-28-2008 at 07:11 PM.