Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeen Kuen

Arrow Jeen Kuen

..here is a look at one of our fighting sets performed by a young practitioner of Bak Hsing Fut Gar at one of our tournaments in the 1980s. It picks up close to the end of our hoi jong. This was categorised Brown Belt Level.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKN15h5RZB0

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    ..here is a look at one of our fighting sets performed by a young practitioner of Bak Hsing Fut Gar at one of our tournaments in the 1980s. It picks up close to the end of our hoi jong. This was categorised Brown Belt Level.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKN15h5RZB0

It's all good.

nospam
    dude, I forgot that haircut exists straight 80's cartoon skateboarder with the blond bangs over the eyes...now that I think about it asians use that cut but trimmed short and more fashionable when they rock the shiny outfits...Cool form man, I like this thing called CLF.pz

..funny.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

Uuussssaaaa!!! Cobra Kai for life, baby.

Post ..more explanation.

Sup Ji Jeen Kuen teaches us how to utilise our more advance fighting techniques through use of particular stance work in combination with execution of technique.

It is when the practitioner takes certain elements from the jeen kuen and begins to train the advanced usage of our fighting philosophy that the essence of our style truly begins to manifest. This generally starts to open new doors of understanding in how to use what previously was thought of as advanced. With this, the practitioner begins to re-work all they had known. Of course certain elements of our philosophy have been integrated throughout the course of training, but as we all have experienced in our progression, even little perception changes can have profound impact on the most basic of technique.

Sup Ji Jeen Kuen, as is Sup Ji Kuen, is a tool or key to help the advanced student unlock the nuances of our fighting method and moreso shed light on our fighting philosophy. Without key ingredients that are introduced in a progressive manner, what one student within our system does at year 2 is different than a student in year 4. A diligent student that has trained for 6 years will see all kung fu with a different eye or a lense that allows an ability to thread movement together where others may not or can not see it themselves. It is a gung that allows our students to read movement in its most natural state.

This is one reason why Bak Hsing does not require many fist patterns. Having less patterns does not make us good fighters as so many believe. This is a fallacy, no different than what has been written or described about us being rawer than the other branches. We could have many patterns but there is no need. More is not better as less is not better. It synthesizes down to our method of teaching: when the practitioner has been provided the ingredients (techniques/philosophy) more is not needed. The most basic ingredient of our philosophy I have posted already. One person that viewed one of our Bak Hsing's videos commented: "What style is this? It looks like CLF?" The difference was the movement. Another practitioner that observed us fighting at a tournament clearly saw something unique in our approach as we were 80% more mobile than those we fought. This teacher wanted to learn how. But even in this most obvious difference in fighting philosophy, it is but one of many pieces of a puzzle.

So, why does Bak Hsing have less patterns? Because our Founder didn't learn all of the Hung Hsing forms? No. Because he spent his time fighting? Not exactly accurate. Because he developed a unique fighting perspective and turned this into a deadly fighting philosophy (deadly meaning effective) that to this day has not been duplicated and only poorly imitated. You can learn Bak Hsing patterns, but you will not be able to interpret them. You can throw a chop choy or leopard fist (whatever you like to refer to it as) and declare there is no difference, but it is not the Bak Hsing way. As some of my Bak Hsing brothers have stated on this forum, it is more than shared technique or as some call seeds. And like others here also say: this technique and that technique are not unique..we all have lin wan and chop, and gwa, and sow. Indeed, we all do. But what we all do not have is the teachings of Tam Sam.

I hope this helps shed a little light on how Bak Hsing Kwoon rolls. This is not a post about how we are different or better than others. If this is how you read this, we simply view gung fu differently. Just like any style out there, a practitioner needs to stick with their style to fully comprehend. And just as with Life and the truths of learning, it is a progressive journey and the gung is developed along the way.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

couldn't have worded it better myself

Sup Ji Jeen Kuen teaches us how to utilise our more advance fighting techniques through use of particular stance work in combination with execution of technique.

It is when the practitioner takes certain elements from the jeen kuen and begins to train the advanced usage of our fighting philosophy that the essence of our style truly begins to manifest. This generally starts to open new doors of understanding in how to use what previously was thought of as advanced. With this, the practitioner begins to re-work all they had known. Of course certain elements of our philosophy have been integrated throughout the course of training, but as we all have experienced in our progression, even little perception changes can have profound impact on the most basic of technique.

Sup Ji Jeen Kuen, as is Sup Ji Kuen, is a tool or key to help the advanced student unlock the nuances of our fighting method and moreso shed light on our fighting philosophy. Without key ingredients that are introduced in a progressive manner, what one student within our system does at year 2 is different than a student in year 4. A diligent student that has trained for 6 years will see all kung fu with a different eye or a lense that allows an ability to thread movement together where others may not or can not see it themselves. It is a gung that allows our students to read movement in its most natural state.

This is one reason why Bak Hsing does not require many fist patterns. Having less patterns does not make us good fighters as so many believe. This is a fallacy, no different than what has been written or described about us being rawer than the other branches. We could have many patterns but there is no need. More is not better as less is not better. It synthesizes down to our method of teaching: when the practitioner has been provided the ingredients (techniques/philosophy) more is not needed. The most basic ingredient of our philosophy I have posted already. One person that viewed one of our Bak Hsing's videos commented: "What style is this? It looks like CLF?" The difference was the movement. Another practitioner that observed us fighting at a tournament clearly saw something unique in our approach as we were 80% more mobile than those we fought. This teacher wanted to learn how. But even in this most obvious difference in fighting philosophy, it is but one of many pieces of a puzzle.

So, why does Bak Hsing have less patterns? Because our Founder didn't learn all of the Hung Hsing forms? No. Because he spent his time fighting? Not exactly accurate. Because he developed a unique fighting perspective and turned this into a deadly fighting philosophy (deadly meaning effective) that to this day has not been duplicated and only poorly imitated. You can learn Bak Hsing patterns, but you will not be able to interpret them. You can throw a chop choy or leopard fist (whatever you like to refer to it as) and declare there is no difference, but it is not the Bak Hsing way. As some of my Bak Hsing brothers have stated on this forum, it is more than shared technique or as some call seeds. And like others here also say: this technique and that technique are not unique..we all have lin wan and chop, and gwa, and sow. Indeed, we all do. But what we all do not have is the teachings of Tam Sam.

I hope this helps shed a little light on how Bak Hsing Kwoon rolls. This is not a post about how we are different or better than others. If this is how you read this, we simply view gung fu differently. Just like any style out there, a practitioner needs to stick with their style to fully comprehend. And just as with Life and the truths of learning, it is a progressive journey and the gung is developed along the way.

It's all good.

nospam
    How does your Sow differ from Chan fam?

"This is not a post about how we are different or better than others. If this is how you read this, we simply view gung fu differently."
    Sorry but that's pretty much how I read that post. Maybe it wasn't your intent but it sounds to me like more of the SOS.

So while everyone else might have "lin wan and chop, and gwa, and sow" they don't have "the teachings of Tam Sam" which means what? Is that your way of saying you're special?

I don't understand. How is this any different than the Hung Sing BS going on in the other thread?

Not looking to start an argument here but it's getting old. You see the same thing going on in almost all the CMA.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

I don't see what the big deal is.
    Hung Sing is different from Buk Hsing is different from chan or whatever.
    They have strengths that the players use to their advantage and think makes them special. Nothing wrong with that.
    Some tools and systems of thought work better for some than for others. What makes one a champion won't do the same for another. What one group thinks is essential to kung fu, another disagrees. Each have reasons and statements and personally verified experiments for why they are right, doesn't mean they are or aren't...just means they're different.
    Do what you do, with what you have, and don't be jealous or angry because someone else has something else. Nor is there any reason to belittle it.

There is something special...without a doubt. Why would a boxer stay with the same trainer if it's all just jab, cross, hook???

nospam,
    I'm pretty sure Rob showed me that form and went through it with me. All the applications I garnered were based on my black tiger training...not CLF. However, if I had the understanding and was a CLF guy like you, the applications and movements would make a different type of sense. So it's all good when it's good kung fu. I imagine your mode of thought is based on Buk Hsing so that when you see good kung fu, you immediately reference it to what you intrinsically know and do, and see how you would utilize it according to your ingrained movement patterns.
    Good post! Although not a CLF guy, what you guys are doing is about the only other type of kung fu I'm interested in.
    A unique snowflake

well thought out statement.
    m

Lightbulb

The only way anyone can understand is to learn from a Bak Hsing practitioner. I invite you to train with me for 2 years and you will understand the difference and will have some skill on using it effectively.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

The only way anyone can understand is to learn from a Bak Hsing practitioner. I invite you to train with me for 2 years and you will understand the difference and will have some skill on using it effectively.

It's all good.

nospam
    in the immortal words of Phil Hartman from Saturday Night Live "Allll Right" pz

What is the character for the word 'Jeen'? I don't know this word...what does it mean? I haven't heard it before...

Not to be off topic, but can I just say that that is probably the best music I have heard in a MA clip, ever? Awesome!
    -Golden Arms-

Iron Maiden rocks!
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.