Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to pin down the exact question, but tired

rtb,

Is wing tsun the same as wing chun? If so, here is your chance, tell me about it.

Can of worms, opening now. ;)

Just kidding, the spelling thing always cracks me up, though. Two different groups, basically.

slowly cutting the can open ... ;)

same concept as wing chun vs. vint tsun, except that GM Leung Ting has an international copyright on the name "wing tsun" and a couple other things.

what i mean by same concept is that different grandmasters use different spellings to distinguish their style. Yip Ching and Yip Chun usually stick with ving tsun to distinguish their flavor of art, while William Cheung spells his flavor wing chun (he throws in a "traditional" to distinguish his flavor).

as far as practices, i only know what wing tsun does. i've picked up on some differences between wt and wc and vt, such as footwork (WT keeps all the weight on the back foot with very few exceptions of weight transfers), and wt does not use techniques like bong sau actively to pick off attacks in the air (rather, we punch first and let that opponent's energy create our bong sau - passively, like in chi sau). but then again, i've never done vt or wc in any flavor, so i don't know what to compare it to. i know other folks, such as sihing73, can shed more light on this than i can.

-rtb

mmmmmmmmmmm.....

...worms. ;)

Kim, let us know how your search goes, and good luck!