Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ringstar Sparring Shoes

Oso's words of wisdom :)

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    sorry, they still look ****ed silly. but, I hope you like them

worse since you were depending on the shoes for support they didn't give. when you walk, or fight, barefoot, you learn to control the foot better, imho.
    His mistake was that he tried to use them as sneakers. Of course they were like walking barefoot. They weren't meant for that. I'm not in the habit of walking outdoors barefoot too often. I don't know what your habits are OsO

Mangled toes and such are a part of training, shoes or not. I got sweeped from the back once and my toe was bent beyond it's limit. It is still healing now even though it happened 9 mos ago...I can almost flex it all the way but the tendon or muscle on the joint is still tight. Before that, I didn't wear shoes to workout but just got accustomed to it. Depends on the martial art I guess.

It makes sense what you say (about having more control) but then again, sparring gear is widely used for martial arts. Punching with bare knuckles insteaad of gloves, using your logic, would be the way to go then, right? I think that the purpose is just safety. More control and stability yes, but a bare foot can do a lot of damage. Plus, if i see a bare foot, there is a possibility of stepping of them

Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

His mistake was that he tried to use them as sneakers. Of course they were like walking barefoot. They weren't meant for that.
    I didnt use them as sneakers. One day I had to run down to my car to get something and I had the Flexx Trainers on. It was like ouch! This hurts!

Masherdog...you must have quite a bit of extra money to throw around if you have two out of three pairs of the Ringstars. Buying that one pair set me back quite a bit and I am probably going to wait.
    Well, considering all the overtime that I have been working the last month or so, you can say that I have some extra cash. Actually, there are 4 styles: Supermaxx, Maxx, SSS, and the Flex trainer. So, I have 2 of the 4.

I believe I stand corrected...By George, there are four styles!

Actually, I knew there were four but regarding the SuperMaxx, I thought pink was the only color available and didn't count it when I last posted. I figured, why would this dude even consider buying a pair of pink shoes. Just found out there is black as well.

Well, when you acquire all four pairs, let us know how they fair.

Take care.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    His mistake was that he tried to use them as sneakers. Of course they were like walking barefoot. They weren't meant for that. I'm not in the habit of walking outdoors barefoot too often. I don't know what your habits are OsO

Well, some kung fu brothers of mine once called me Huck Finn if that gives you any idea.

Mangled toes and such are a part of training, shoes or not. I got sweeped from the back once and my toe was bent beyond it's limit. It is still healing now even though it happened 9 mos ago...I can almost flex it all the way but the tendon or muscle on the joint is still tight. Before that, I didn't wear shoes to workout but just got accustomed to it. Depends on the martial art I guess.

I've been back and forth. For 7 years it was 90% outdoor training with no shoes. Then mostly indoor for 13 years with now shoes. Hell, the first time I ever busted a toe was indoors, barefoot on puzzle mats about 4 years ago.

It makes sense what you say (about having more control) but then again, sparring gear is widely used for martial arts. Punching with bare knuckles insteaad of gloves, using your logic, would be the way to go then, right? I think that the purpose is just safety. More control and stability yes, but a bare foot can do a lot of damage. Plus, if i see a bare foot, there is a possibility of stepping of them

I know. But, still, these types of shoes are just silly looking.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well, with the black kung fu pants and black top, they at least blend in more but they still look like clown shoes on me. lol

Wink OsO stop hating

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    It seems my friend that you focus on appearances when functionality might be a better focal point. When going out with friends or just going out (to non-formal functions) I prefer white sneakers. I just like how they feel and look. The Ringstar shoes remind me of sneakers but they also have padding that protect it's wearer and the person being attacked.

Like Masherdong wrote, with black gi pants (make sure they are a little baggy), it looks blended. The black pants with the white shoes look kinda stylish cosmetically as well (right up your alley OsO!! ) This is, they cost so d***ed much that I don't wear them that often (yeah defeats the purpose).

Masherdong's clown shoes look normal on big guys. I have this dude in my class who is well over six feet tall and is solid (think he is in law enforcement) and he started wearing them. The shoes looked ok to me.

What is silly looking is the standard sparring gear that is used. The foot gear is big and clunky(some common ones like those from Pro Force or Macho...etc). But whatever, they still protect, although sometimes my toes receive impact (gear is supposed to prevent that). It's all part of the game.

Up until I had my sprain (9 mos ago), I was shoe-less for most of my martial arts career. I started on hardwood floors (the place doubled as a dance studio) and did mats for other stuff. My toes are forever callussed but I didn't mind that.

If you had a good friend named Tom Saywer and knew a girl named Becky Sue, then you would be Huck Finn. But I don't see the correlation. Probably just people talking stupid. I joke around with my training brothers and sisters all the time but we all have our own style.

Still though, you preference is your own. Just stop the HATING! Big shoes can't help it if they're big. It's not their fault they were born into a world that discriminates.

Take care everyone.

Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Plug

This is on Gene's behalf:

Martial Arts Mart is still having their shoe sale on Ringstar sparring shoes. Not a bad deal when you consider how much they cost MSRP.

**Adidas shoes as well. No way, no way!!
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

I was thinking today, Crocs might actually make good sparring shoes.
    If your crocs are loose, just wear extra socks until they're snug.
    I think they'd hold up, but i'm pretty sure that they wouldn't cause cuts - tried smacking one against my leg from different angles and it didn't feel like anything.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting