View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 653 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1535536036436516526536546556637037531153 ... LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,795 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I think I have a pinched nerve or something that acts up after really heavy exercise. It's in my lower left back. When it's really bad (1 or 2 times a year), I can't straighten up. I walk at an angle and then eventually collapse from the strain.
    it may or may not be so in your case, but that presentation is often associated with reflexive spasm of the hip flexors (iliopsoas), usually on one side; causative factors in that case can be highly varied, including mechanical, positional even visceral - it all depends

Edit: does anyone else feel back pain if they perform a butterfly stretch for a minute or so? Is that normal? It's funny. I can jump, roll, flop around no problem. But then, if I sit on the floor for a minute or so during a work meeting when the meeting room's seats are filled, my back will get stiff as all hell. What's up with that?
    it could depend on what your pelvic position is while doing that: if you are centered correctly, it theoretically shouldn't happen; if the pelvis is tilted posteriorly, it could possibly predispose one for excessive tension of lumbar spinal extensors trying to d a just they are not designed for (holding static postures as opposed to phasic postural correction); but I don't know, I haven't examined you

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    I suppose we could take bets on your back. I am going with muscle spasm.
    When it's a nerve, it's bad.
    when it's a nerve, you have parasthesia and loss of motor function (e.g. - drop foot); more commonly, LBP and associated symptoms (e.g. - radiation down the leg)are related to muscle spasm / local or regional connective tissue inflammation;

Now don't mis-understand what I typed. There is an underlying problem that would cause the spasms but unless the ruptured disc is putting pressure on the nerve, or some of the fluid from the disc has inflammed the nerve, a rupture in itself doesn't cause pain and something like one in five people are walking around with a damaged disc and may not even know it.
    actually, if I recall, it's possibly 30% to 50% of "normal" pop, depending on age, and the symptomatic pop has a not much higher incidence; meaning a lot of false positives and false negatives on MRI...

Nothing in the leg. Never in the leg. BUt it's always the same spot. Right at the belt line, or just above it. About an inch and a half to the left of the spine, or right on it...but definately on the left side. It seems like the pain spreads over a 3inch by 3 inch area or so.
    that is an area often associated with sacroiliac related pain, although that area is sort of a garbage can for pain associated with compensations in the pelvis for dysfunctions that could originate just about anywhere, locally, regionally or even globally; the "fact" that you don't have radiation doesn't necessarily mean anything either, insofar as you can have local SI pain that then turns into piriformis pain (bec. piriformis seems to be one of the structures that tries to rebalance the pelvis in the presence of dysfunction), and you can get that piriformis related radiation associated with HS and ITB, or not on any given day unpredictably (as opposed to actual nerve root entrapment, which is
    more consistent in its occurrence / elicitation;

It's hard to tell exactly where it comes from. It's kept me bedded for two or three days twice in the past 2 years. I'll see a doctor as soon as my med insurance starts with my new job.[/QUOTE]
    in general what i tell clients is to try to find the most comfortable position you can - it may be on the back with legs flexed up and / or off to one side, on the stomach with legs straight or one knee up and possibly rotation of the pelvis, or on the side, with legs straight or top knee bent (all these may require use of pillows to get just right); if they can find this, they stay there for varying periods of time, letting the breathing just do what it wants - at some point, typically when the berthing becomes spontaneously slower and more regular (after possible periods of being more irregular), they try coming SLOWLY out of the position (may be there for 10 min or more) and try finding a neutral vertical position if they can do it without pain (or even see if they can sit in mid-line); they may need to repeat this often or a few times to get traction on it; of course, in your case you would need evaluation by a qualified healthcare professional to determine what would be appropriate for you (especially if there is no change after a few times); as such, the above example is for illustrative purposes only, it is not a prescription or suggestion for anything, I cannot guarantee you or anyone else might not have an adverse response if they do something incorrectly...

Nice Disclaimer at the end!

FWIW, my back gave me fits a couple of weeks ago. A good PT did some magic and gave me some specific stretches to try at home. Now its pain free and help up during a pretty vigirous work-out Saturday.

Go see a doctor and aske for a PT with a background in sports medicine wookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Nice Disclaimer at the end!

FWIW, my back gave me fits a couple of weeks ago. A good PT did some magic and gave me some specific stretches to try at home. Now its pain free and help up during a pretty vigirous work-out Saturday.

Go see a doctor and aske for a PT with a background in sports medicine wookie
    That's what I'm thinking. The only thing that gets me worried is that when it flairs up at its worst, I can't straighten up, and when it's mildly sore, I can't bend backwards very far. I can always bend forward when it hurts, and when it's at its worst, bending forward is like heaven....but straigtening up is pure hell.

Also, I notice that when it gets bad, it looks like my spine sinks/sags at the waist, and it pushes my stomach out. I'm not fat at all, so it's really easy for me to tell when that's happening. That always strikes me as weird.

It's weird. But thanks to my new med coverage (blessing in disguise, losing my last job) I can get it checked out in a couple of weeks. 'Till then I just make sure to keep it mild, stretch a lot (which I do anyways), and do plenty of Tai Chi.....lol...

I did notice, when I was doing capoeira a lot, that it used to be sore every night after practice. But we did tons of back stretches, and that art is hell on the back anyways with all of the stuff you have to do.

That's what I'm thinking. The only thing that gets me worried is that when it flairs up at its worst, I can't straighten up, and when it's mildly sore, I can't bend backwards very far. I can always bend forward when it hurts, and when it's at its worst, bending forward is like heaven....but straigtening up is pure hell.

Also, I notice that when it gets bad, it looks like my spine sinks/sags at the waist, and it pushes my stomach out. I'm not fat at all, so it's really easy for me to tell when that's happening. That always strikes me as weird.

It's weird. But thanks to my new med coverage (blessing in disguise, losing my last job) I can get it checked out in a couple of weeks. 'Till then I just make sure to keep it mild, stretch a lot (which I do anyways), and do plenty of Tai Chi.....lol...

I did notice, when I was doing capoeira a lot, that it used to be sore every night after practice. But we did tons of back stretches, and that art is hell on the back anyways with all of the stuff you have to do.
    Sounds like a bulging disc......there's physical Therapy that will help with this.....get to a Doctor asap....be careful until you find out what's going on or you could blow out a disc. Tai Chi 64 & Classical Pa Kua will help.
    BQ

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Sounds like a bulging disc......there's physical Therapy that will help with this.....get to a Doctor asap....be careful until you find out what's going on or you could blow out a disc. Tai Chi 64 & Classical Pa Kua will help.
    BQ
    And mind what JP said as well. Find guys that do sports medicine. I'm so sick of going to a doctor and saying "this hurts when I do that," only to be told, "stop doing that." I'm 36 not 86 and am not going to stop being active. More and more I'm beginning to believe that western docs don't know all that much. I almost never get a diagnosis when I see a doctor. It seems that they've become more focused on treating symptoms than on making a diagnosis and attempting a cure. Now that you have insurance, Wookie, I recommend finding a DO to be your primary care physician. They seem to have a more holistic approach while having all the prescription power/specialization that MDs have.

...and, in the interest of disclaimers, I may be totally wrong and you might die if you follow my advice. I take no responsibility for any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    And mind what JP said as well. Find guys that do sports medicine. I'm so sick of going to a doctor and saying "this hurts when I do that," only to be told, "stop doing that." I'm 36 not 86 and am not going to stop being active. More and more I'm beginning to believe that western docs don't know all that much. I almost never get a diagnosis when I see a doctor. It seems that they've become more focused on treating symptoms than on making a diagnosis and attempting a cure. Now that you have insurance, Wookie, I recommend finding a DO to be your primary care physician. They seem to have a more holistic approach while having all the prescription power/specialization that MDs have.

...and, in the interest of disclaimers, I may be totally wrong and you might die if you follow my advice. I take no responsibility for any of this.
    Hey Noob,
    Did you ever check out Cornmeal....they were at the Fishtank here in Lex. Thursday night and will be at the Terrapin Hill Festival in Sept......they won the Jammy award this year. Also my girlfriends daughter got to go on stage at Wood Songs last night to introduce the main act...she was really excited. Thought you might appreciate.
    BQ

Hey Noob,
    Did you ever check out Cornmeal....they were at the Fishtank here in Lex. Thursday night and will be at the Terrapin Hill Festival in Sept......they won the Jammy award this year. Also my girlfriends daughter got to go on stage at Wood Songs last night to introduce the main act...she was really excited. Thought you might appreciate.
    BQ
    Sounds cool. I actually haven't heard from them. Are they relatively local? I get down to Nashville about once a month but its a quick in-on-Friday-out-on-Sunday trip (I'm down to see my 4-year-old). I'm in the DC area now. Do they get up this way?

Now that you have insurance, Wookie, I recommend finding a DO to be your primary care physician. They seem to have a more holistic approach while having all the prescription power/specialization that MDs have.

I agree. I see a DO and I have had a much better experience than I ever had with an MD.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    FWIW, I tore L4-L5 and L5-S1 and am repeating the information I received.

I just had my L3 & L4 fused on the 19th of May. I feel great. Still got a long ways to go until fully recovered though. The vertibrae were pinching my sciatica and I had pain all down my right butt cheek and down my leg. The pain is totally gone and the doctor said I will be back to 100% in 8 months to a year. I can go back to training in about 3 or 4 months but only light training. I had a herniated disk that was oozing out from between the vertibrae.

Sounds cool. I actually haven't heard from them. Are they relatively local? I get down to Nashville about once a month but its a quick in-on-Friday-out-on-Sunday trip (I'm down to see my 4-year-old). I'm in the DC area now. Do they get up this way?
    No their out of Chicago and they play all over the Country....just played at Bonaroo....google them.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    I just had my L3 & L4 fused on the 19th of May. I feel great. Still got a long ways to go until fully recovered though. The vertibrae were pinching my sciatica and I had pain all down my right butt cheek and down my leg. The pain is totally gone and the doctor said I will be back to 100% in 8 months to a year. I can go back to training in about 3 or 4 months but only light training. I had a herniated disk that was oozing out from between the vertibrae.
    WOW...take it easy man!!!!

Sweet

No their out of Chicago and they play all over the Country....just played at Bonaroo....google them.
    BQ
    Definitely. I don't get out for live music as much as I'd like but if they get nearby, I'll check them out.

Definitely. I don't get out for live music as much as I'd like but if they get nearby, I'll check them out.
    Looks like they were in DC in February. They're out west now. I'll look for them next time they come around. I love bluegrass. There's a big festival out on the Chesapeake Bay in September that I try not to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Oh man that sucks. I had the butt cheeck pain also pain that felt as if it was a pulled hamstring but I was lucky that my discs didn't herniate, just bulged under pressure. It cleared up with the shots into my spine.
    It was the PT that helped get me to be more pain free. I was doing Tai Chi everyday two or three times. It may have helped but I couldn't tell it compared to the what the PT was able to do for me.
    Last edited by BM2; 06-18-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: If you read it before editing, you would have known.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I'm dealing with this right now too but without coverage or loads of money I'm stuck until I can find a decompression plan I can afford. Right now I have an inversion table hoping that will work.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.