Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wan Kam Leung Practical Wing Chun lll

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You mean in chi sao ? or fighting from no pre-contact ?
    To (hopefully) prevent too complex an explanation, how about like in the video - Chi Sau.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

we can angle etc..we also allow the guy to move and simply cut into the space his mistakes make. Overturning, wrists try to block [ 'elbows in' in SLT for a reason] .
    The tan & Jum are our strikes , one takes the elbow off the line, the other on the line .
    Together , either side they control the line while striking in rotation.
    We can use seung ma toi ma drills to build angling to centered lines of force coming at us randomly from either side, each partner does this to make it instinctive....step in / angle back and to the sides while striking the attempted strike. The strike can be any combo of techniques while angling in or offline to the given line of force by your partner...
    actually quite hard to master but easy to understand.. the better you get the more aligned you feel, while your structured counters and attacks focus point increases to make you a whole unit attacking on a line , not just an arm hinging at the shoulder when it meets force and goes off target...
    Philipp Bayer is a great example of what can be achieved by this training.

got to go striped bass fishing , more later...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-21-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    we can angle etc..we also allow the guy to move and simply cut into the space his mistakes make. Overturning, wrists try to block [ 'elbows in' in SLT for a reason] .
    The tan & Jum are our strikes , one takes the elbow off the line, the other on the line .
    Together , either side they control the line while striking in rotation.
    We can use seung ma toi ma drills to build angling to centered lines of force coming at us randomly from either side, each partner does this to make it instinctive....step in / angle back and to the sides while striking the attempted strike. The strike can be any combo of techniques while angling in or offline to the given line of force by your partner...
    actually quite hard to master but easy to understand.. the better you get the more aligned you feel, while your sturtured counters and attacks increases to make you a whole unit , not just an arm hinging at the shoulder when it meets force and goes off target...
    Philipp Bayer is a great example of what can be achieved by this training.

got to go striped bass fishing , more later...
    Great explanation!

Enjoy the fishing trip.

We'll chat more soon,
    Kenton

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Yip Man's Foshan students, e.g. Lun Gai, emphasizes the phoenix eye punch. It is used in the first 2 forms that I know of (I didn't learn the other ones).
    thats correct, I study the foshan method, 'phonenix eye' is the main punch used as its most efficient and direct. You have to learn how to use it properly otherwise you will break your fingers.
    Foshan Wing Chun www.kungfu-academy.com
    Non Political Discussion: http://forum.pagoda-imports.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Wu Tang View Post
    thats correct, I study the foshan method, 'phonenix eye' is the main punch used as its most efficient and direct. You have to learn how to use it properly otherwise you will break your fingers.
    A long-time friend and Kung-Fu practitioner went to a Bak Mei school. First they were taught how to hold the Phoenix Eye punch and then how to pressure test it.

He was taught to perform wall push-ups with the punch and then eventually graduate to the floor.

This, plus 'ging' exercises in the forms and learning to break chopsticks while holding them in a fist made him quite an adversary.

Best,
    Kenton

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    A long-time friend and Kung-Fu practitioner went to a Bak Mei school. First they were taught how to hold the Phoenix Eye punch and then how to pressure test it.

He was taught to perform wall push-ups with the punch and then eventually graduate to the floor.

This, plus 'ging' exercises in the forms and learning to break chopsticks while holding them in a fist made him quite an adversary.

Best,
    Kenton
    The PE fist (along with the dragon's fist and leopard's fist, or panther if you prefer) are "force multipliers" that must be conditioned.
    Correct formation is crucial as is correct impact area.
    Push-ups on them is a great way to get that "structural integrity".
    I would add doing the PE fist ( or any other) to an Iron Palm type bag, then the hanging bag filled with sand and then the hanging bag filled with steel shot.
    Even the HB is great when the PE fist is developed enough for it.
    Impact training is vital, just start slow and relaxed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Nice techniques down the middle and on the blindside.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Nice techniques down the middle and on the blindside.
    The more I train in WC, the more I see the need for both a TWC and WC approach. Not just to get Victor going on his soap box again(just kidding, bro), but I see the need for both because of two scenarios:

1. The 'let's step outside and fight' approach. I think the "longer-range-ness" of TWC addresses sparring and a longer range fight that might ensue when two parties are ready. Not to say it can't function at shorter distances, though.

2. The "sucker-punch" approach. Where you have someone in your face beaking off and takes a swing at you. The WC has a shorter "range" and more crash and bash down the middle.

It's amazing that both are used so well apart and together.

Anywho...off to put needles in people. Sometimes I can't believe I do this for a living. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The PE fist (along with the dragon's fist and leopard's fist, or panther if you prefer) are "force multipliers" that must be conditioned.
    Correct formation is crucial as is correct impact area.
    Push-ups on them is a great way to get that "structural integrity".
    I would add doing the PE fist ( or any other) to an Iron Palm type bag, then the hanging bag filled with sand and then the hanging bag filled with steel shot.
    Even the HB is great when the PE fist is developed enough for it.
    Impact training is vital, just start slow and relaxed.
    Why? Most of the targets struck with the PE are "soft" targets. You shouldn't be slamming the PE into something as hard as a rock. With the exercises you mention you're just asking for long-term damage to the joints that isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Why? Most of the targets struck with the PE are "soft" targets. You shouldn't be slamming the PE into something as hard as a rock. With the exercises you mention you're just asking for long-term damage to the joints that isn't necessary.
    Well, first off, you don't slam anything, just like IP, its not a "hit it hard" training, though you may/should TEST it hard.
    Sure all the targets are soft, and in an ideal world all we hit is what we aim for, BUT since none of us live in this ideal world...
    Fact is, all the soft spots are protected by hard spots around it, look at the ribs, what protects them? The elbows of the person you are striking, all head targets can be run into the top part of the head, much harder than any soft target.
    Then or course there is the fact that if you DON'T drill the PE fist, or any other specialty fist, you don't know if it will hold up under pressure.
    My HK teacher is in his late 60's, and his hands are well forged and his violin and guitar playing is quite good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !