Thread: How do you master several different martial arts in a very short time?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Dear all,
    Is it possible for any one to tell me how can someone master several different martial arts while having a full time job & social life? I asked this question because some of the martial arts adverts I have saw where the instructors (masters) claiming to be teachers in several different martial arts. However, they are 28 - 40s years old. According to the traditional martial arts system, it takes at least 30 years of serious training before anyone can call themselves a master in the traditional martial arts system. There is no way those people can be masters of in several different martial arts, except:
    1) they are conmen
    2) jack of all trade and master of none
    3) very talented genius.

Length of time to learn the whole system (able to use it in a fight)

Wing chun - about 4 &1/2 years, 5-7 hours a day practicing + fighing people.

boxing - at least a year before you fight in a ring, 2 hours per day.

kick boxing - at least a year before you fight in a ring, 2 hours per day.

Hung kuen - 8 -10 years, 5-7 hours a day practicing + fighting people

western fencing - at least a year before you fight in a bout, 2 hours per day training. 3 years later you can become an instructor.

average black belt - 3 years, 2 hours a day.

In the tradition Japanese martial arts - black belt means that you have just started to understand martial arts.

I have calculated that you need at least 22 years of serious training (8-10 hours trainging per day) in order to master 5 different oriental martial arts (knowing everything about them and reach a high level of standard in fighting). I mean knowing the history of the system, forms, fighting application, weapons and herbal medicine to cure yourself and your students.
    You also need to find the time to practise the other martial arts you have already know, so that you will not forget about them. Therefore, how come there are adverts and seminar telling people that you can become a martial arts instructor or body guard after 1 or 2 day seminar!
    I remembered seeing "Faking it in USA" several years ago, where a kinder garden school teacher without any martial arts training trained as a body guard in 4 weeks, 7-10 intensive training per day. She had passed her test by convincing the experts that she was a bodyguard. However, she got experts help and she did not have to fight anyone for more than 5 seconds in the test!
    For example, for an average student to obtain a degree in any of the UK university, he or she suppose to have spend at least 3 years (full time) learning it. 7 hours in the class, 5 -6 hours doing the home work and reading your notes. To obtain 7 different degrees, you need at least 21 years to complete them + spending several years revising the other degrees you have already got. Therefore, you need at least 25 years to learn and retain all your knowledge in those 7 degrees.

The length of time needed to obtain 7 degrees should not be much different from learning 7 totally different martial arts. How did those instructors (under 40s) master 7 - 10 different martial arts system, while having full time jobs (not related to martial arts), social life and families?

Thank you
    Hitman
    We may learn as many arts/styles as we want.

however, due to physical attributes/features of our body, we may only practice and excel in only one or just a few skills.

1. Tai Chi stress yielding aspect.

2. Xing Yi straight "marching" on.

3. Ba Gua walking and avoiding stepping.

each style stressing some key skills or tactics and strategy.

even among each style, practitioners are known for different skills.

1. Cheng Ting Hua was known for shuai jiao, so his ba gua is full of throws.

2. Yin Fu and Shi Ji Dong were known for luo han shou and tan tui. Their ba gua are full of fast punches and fast kicks.

3. Hang Qing Tan was very good in qin na. even thou he knew many other stuffs. He is still recognised by his qin na skills.

http://emptyflower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=756

in short, we may practice and excel in only a few skills no matter how may stuff we would like to learn and "master".

Last edited by SPJ; 07-02-2008 at 07:03 AM.