Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Forward stance

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, guys. get a room.

LOL sorry for being nice I forgot where I was. he he

This is a kung fu board no lovey dovey, only bloody bloody. now lets fight to defend our honnor
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by a forward stance.....is that the same as a front/bo stance? If so would you really want to fight from this position? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by a forward stance.....is that the same as a front/bo stance? If so would you really want to fight from this position? I wouldn't.

Depends on your intent - Training or Self Defense / Fighting. As far as a front or Bow stance, everyone uses this technique when they execute a forward or front lunge. But then again, I guess it depends on one's "definition" of a front lunge. Anywho, As I've stated before, use what is needed. These applications are merely "variations" of the front stance technique...

Take care all...
    CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by KwaiChangCaine View Post
    All,

I was taught that when in toes forward position the knee is open to frontal attack with no where to go but back, at 45 degrees it is collapsable (SP?) leaving more response options.
    Assuming your left leg is forward, the best way to block a standard roundkick is to turn the front knee OUT at 45°. This A) prevents the knee from collapsing B) turns the sensitive area of the leg away from the strike and C) allows the kicking leg to slide up a bit so you can wrap it up and setup a takedown.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Best Way

Interesting option. If I could avoid the hit to the knee or use the momentum to respond I would prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Being literal here.

No one wants to fight from this position sure. But we all use this position to fight, at one point or another.

These guys are using a "bow stance" in this picture.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/a...-wireimage.jpg
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Being literal here......

No one wants to fight from this position sure. But we all use this position to fight, at one point or another.

These guys are using a "bow stance" in this picture.

Izzat whatchu callit? {snort!}

More like being "liberal" in calling it a stance of any type/kind

its definately a forward stance. pay more attention to the guy on the left who is getting the best of that exchange at the moment. its in motion. thats what a bow stance looks like if your standing high.....its not your static held low training shaolin bow stance but it is a forward stance. in correlation to chinese martial arts it would be a high, in motion, forward bow stance. it was also the first picture i found with a guy in a forward stance when i googled "MMA"

actually, in my chen training my sifu changed the stance in a section of the old form when you do a punch from a low 'traditional' bow stance to something similar to that yet with more of a western boxing flavor.

you can actually hit **** hard and be quite mobile for footwork. of course hes the master and has tons of experience...

And for the record i am quite liberal in what i view a stance. I practice traditional shaolin and do my fair share of traditional stances and transitions, but keep in mind any way we stand is a stance. if you are on your feet you are ALWAYS in one stance or another. always. boxing has a forward stance as much as kungfu, they just look different but achieve much of the same goal. hell highschool wrestling constantly uses the horse stance, in motion and transition.

but i was quite literal in the sence that we all do fight from a forward stance at one point or another.

maybe you dont.....
    Last edited by Lucas; 08-28-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

its definately a forward stance. pay more attention to the guy on the left who is getting the best of that exchange at the moment. its in motion. thats what a bow stance looks like if your standing high.....its not your static held low training shaolin bow stance but it is a forward stance. in correlation to chinese martial arts it would be a high, in motion, forward bow stance.
    It is still not a "stance".
    It is a transitional (partial) "step" following what should have been the *moment* in which he made contact utilizing his "stance".
    To some degree (depending on its timing) it might be a bit more like the "Gorilla Stepping" seen in some Tibetan-based White Crane. Chan Tai San showed quite a bit of that (or something similar) in one or more of the videos his students have up on YouTube.

actually, in my chen training my sifu changed the stance in a section of the old form when you do a punch from a low 'traditional' bow stance to something similar to that yet with more of a western boxing flavor.
    I won't make any comments on Chen Style.

you can actually hit **** hard and be quite mobile for footwork.
    When, and if, that is the combination of qualities you're looking to use, then it is appropriate.

And for the record i am quite liberal in what i view a stance. I practice traditional shaolin and do my fair share of traditional stances and transitions, but keep in mind any way we stand is a stance.
    Quite true.
    Equally, you should keep in mind that "any way we step is a step".

if you are on your feet you are ALWAYS in one stance or another. always. boxing has a forward stance as much as kungfu, they just look different but achieve much of the same goal. hell highschool wrestling constantly uses the horse stance, in motion and transition.
    Hmmmm..... "transitions"?
    Darn, aren't they often called "steps"?

but i was quite literal in the sence that we all do fight from a forward stance at one point or another.

maybe you dont.....
    I do not. (fight from a stance)
    I use stepping and stances in fighting.
    I do not recommend that anyone fight from any given stance.
    That implies a static/waiting game and is often not advantageous in a fight.

Bakxierboxer is right.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    It is still not a "stance".
    It is a transitional (partial) "step" following what should have been the *moment* in which he made contact utilizing his "stance".
    I get what you are saying here. Makes perfect sense when described in that way. Lets me see where you are coming from.

Personally I have always viewed that moment when I root on contact with certain strikes to 'be in stance' i know when i generally make contact with someone or something, im trying to pull as much of the ground into it as i can with where my stance is at that particular moment.

to be quite literal, by definition a 'stance' is any position or bearing while on the feet. even in motion. even 'stepping' is done in stance, or rather this is how i was taught.

i think at this point it all comes down to semantics. some peoples interpretations of what 'stance' means obviously can vary quite a bit. during my shaolin training all of our 'stepping' exersizes were also called stance training, same as with our standing meditation, although we were in motion the entire time.

I just go off of the training ive recieved.

when i say we all fight from stance at one point or another, this is the mindset i refer with.

trasitions, steps, words....

if you read my posts you'll see i dont reccommend anyone fighting from a static stance. i actually said 'no one wants to fight from this position'....

but Que Sera Sera, we have differing use of words that seems to point at basically the same thing, judging from what you wrote and what is in my mind. I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Bakxierboxer is right.
    Strangely, that happens from time to time.........

I get what you are saying here. Makes perfect sense when described in that way. Lets me see where you are coming from.
    Cool!
    I'd even settle for making a bit less than "perfect" sense!

Personally I have always viewed that moment when I root on contact with certain strikes to 'be in stance' i know when i generally make contact with someone or something, im trying to pull as much of the ground into it as i can with where my stance is at that particular moment.
    "Rooting" can be done on one foot. (YMMV)
    The "pull" is not available without having both feet rooting.
    The "single-weighting" is found in TCC and many Northern styles.
    Northern styles tend to excel in using "momentum" for power.
    Southern styles tend to excel in using the "torque" they can generate with that "pull".
    When possible, it can be advantageous to combine both capabilities in one's art.

to be quite literal, by definition a 'stance' is any position or bearing while on the feet.
    Hmm....."feet" is plural, but I won't go so far as to say that there are no single-weighted/footed stances.

even in motion. even 'stepping' is done in stance, or rather this is how i was taught.
    "stepping" is done between stances and can supply mobility which furthers the pursuit of
    tactical/evasive/aggressive/"energetic" advantage.

i think at this point it all comes down to semantics.
    That's not really a "dirty word", ya know?

some peoples interpretations of what 'stance' means obviously can vary quite a bit.
    It's usually a good idea to actually "say what you mean".

we have differing use of words that seems to point at basically the same thing, judging from what you wrote and what is in my mind. I'll leave it at that.
    OK.... now.

Today I was walking to my truck when I seen a large Mantis on my gate. He seen me coming toward him and turned and took a fighting stance. I looked at him and laughed. His guard was too open and he did not protect his center. His stance was too wide and was not able to move quickly. I said to him, your gung fu is weak, therefore I am not threatened by you. So I walked past and did not crush him.