Page 36 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    So old F@rt gear-heads have the 'real math'?
    They actually do, unlike the article you posted.

A 1968 Corvette -- which had less muscle than a typical 2008 family car. That new 263-horsepower Ford Taurus family sedan does zero to 60 in 6.5 seconds -- the same acceleration as the 1968 Corvette with the famed 427 big-block V8.
    The top 1968 427-equipped Vette had 435hp and went 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, not 6.5 seconds. And 2-tenths is a big difference in acceleration. The average family car of today does not have near 435hp.

Source: http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/facts/68.htm
    Last edited by 1bad65; 09-10-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

So old F@rt gear-heads have the 'real math'?
    Nope, just "better" than what is shown in your "quote":

The driver who trades in a 15 MPG SUV or high-horsepower car for a 20 MPG standard-engine full-size car would reduce fuel use by 200 gallons. The driver who trades in a 20 MPG full-size car for a 25 MPG midsize would reduce fuel use by 120 gallons. The driver who trades in a 25 MPG midsize for a 30 MPG compact would cut fuel use by 80 gallons. The driver who trades in a 30 MPG compact for a 35 MPH current-technology hybrid would save 60 gallons. And the driver who trades in a 35 MPG current-technology hybrid for a 40 MPG advanced plug-in hybrid would save 40 gallons.
    It's a "hard sell" unless you state it as "saving 50%" on fuel. (20 mpg vs 40 mpg)
    The incremental savings don't appear anywhere near attractive enough to prompt sales.

It was "common practice" for car companies to cite horsepower numbers at off-peak RPMs in order to "satisfy" the insurance companies and other "vested interests".
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 09-11-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Actually, McCain mentioned that he was for bailing them out just THIS WEEK.

"Asked whether Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - which underwrite millions of US mortgages - should be placed in a conservatorship, Senator McCain said "I think it has to be done".

"We've got to keep people in their homes," Senator McCain told Face the Nation in an interview."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-36418,00.html

It would also help is Sarah Palin knew what she was talking about:

""They're too big and too expensive to the taxpayers," Governor Palin said at a rally in Colorado."

They were private entities and cost the taxpayers nothing, until now.

Of course, John McCain's campaign manager was a lobbyist for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"And for years, Rick Davis served as president of an advocacy group led by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that defended the two companies against increased regulation."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11781.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    As far as Mit Romney saying the federal government is too liberal - he's RIGHT. The Patriot act, runaway government spending, war economies - these are 'progressive' programs putting the power of the state over the rights of the people.
    And all done under a Republican Administration and a Republican Congress. I guess they're all card carrying members of the ACLU, huh? Bunch of radical lefties you got there.

Also, these are not "progressive" programs. They are more correctly called "authoritarian" programs. And, I reiterate, put in place by Republicans. Go figure.

Duke University - "Economics"

"Economics" of a certain sort is known as a "soft science".

Lefties now have a new(er) daffynition of that sort of thing:

Teaching science for social justice? Let Teachers College professor Angela Calabrese Barton, the volume’s principal author, try to explain:

The marriages between capitalism and education and capitalism and science have created a foundation for science education that emphasizes corporate values at the expense of social justice and human dignity.
    The alternative?

Science pedagogy framed around social justice concerns can become a medium to transform individuals, schools, communities, the environment, and science itself, in ways that promote equity and social justice. Creating a science education that is transformative implies not only how science is a political activity but also the ways in which students might see and use science and science education in ways transformative of the institutional and interpersonal power structures that play a role in their lives.
    If you still can’t appreciate why it’s necessary for your child’s chemistry teacher to teach for social justice, you are probably hopelessly wedded to reason, empiricism, individual merit, and other capitalist and post-colonialist deformities.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    It was "common practice" for car companies to cite horsepower numbers at off-peak RPMs in order to "satisfy" the insurance companies and other "vested interests".
    True. The 1968 427 Vette is one! Most agree it's underrated by about 100hp.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    And all done under a Republican Administration and a Republican Congress.
    Do what?!?! That's news to me.

Don't be the pot calling the kettle.....

Obama has been for a bailout since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    True. The 1968 427 Vette is one! Most agree it's underrated by about 100hp.
    "Tell me about it!"

I "ran against" one.... I had to wait for him to uncork his headers before he'd give it a go.

By the way, your PM box is full.

Hopelessly wedded.....

Let Teachers College professor Angela Calabrese Barton, the volume’s principal author, try to explain:

... Creating a science education that is transformative implies not only how science is a political activity.....
    I'm still trying to "envision" a "PC" neutrino..... or nuclear bomb......

If you still can’t appreciate why it’s necessary for your child’s chemistry teacher to teach for social justice, you are probably hopelessly wedded to reason, empiricism, individual merit, and other capitalist and post-colonialist deformities.

DANG! guess they got me dead to rights!

Obama has been for a bailout since day 1.
    Yet you claimed McCain was against it.

"Actually McCain mentioned how we was against bailing them out just LAST WEEK."

Clearly he is not, or is no longer. That was my point. I said nothing about Obama or the merits of the bailout.

Does McCain support the bailout? If you say that he does, then the post to which I was responding was an attempt, by you, to obfuscate the issue. If you say that he doesn't, then you would be flying in the face of the evidence I posted.

Do what?!?! That's news to me.
    The Republicans weren't in charge of Congress when the Patriot Act was passed (2001)? When the war with Iraq began (2003)? When President Bush jacked up the budget deficit every year he was in office? Granted the Democrats have controlled Congress for the last 19 months. What about the first 72 months?
    Last edited by Reality_Check; 09-10-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    "Economics" of a certain sort is known as a "soft science".

Lefties now have a new(er) daffynition of that sort of thing:

Teaching science for social justice? Let Teachers College professor Angela Calabrese Barton, the volume’s principal author, try to explain:

The marriages between capitalism and education and capitalism and science have created a foundation for science education that emphasizes corporate values at the expense of social justice and human dignity.

The alternative?

Science pedagogy framed around social justice concerns can become a medium to transform individuals, schools, communities, the environment, and science itself, in ways that promote equity and social justice. Creating a science education that is transformative implies not only how science is a political activity but also the ways in which students might see and use science and science education in ways transformative of the institutional and interpersonal power structures that play a role in their lives.

So Obama is a professor at Duke now? What does this have to do with Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin? Has any one of the four actually endorsed this? If not, it would seem to be a non sequitur and irrelevant to the thread.

BTW, does anyone know how to embed a quote? As you can see by my quoting of bakxierboxer, the quote in his post didn't come out correctly.

The Republicans weren't in charge of Congress when the Patriot Act was passed (2001)? When the war with Iraq began (2002)? When President Bush jacked up the budget deficit every year he was in office? Granted the Democrats have controlled Congress for the last 19 months. What about the first 72 months?
    exactamundo. Not that I have confidence that the democrats would do any better, but the republicans failed at so many things from 2000-2006 (when Bush cut some of his ties with influential members of his admin i.e. Rumsfeld).

History will remember a

) the facts about the Iraq war will be viewed in a similar fashion as the Gulf of Tonkin and the beginning of the Vietnam war, except for MORE cause for doubt of the reasons (WMD's and Saddam's support for extreme Islam).

b) The Bush admin has the worst employment ratings since the Great Depression, and that happened in 2003, so it can't be blamed on the current credit crisis.

c) See my sig
    Bless you

im not being jerky here, but its influence. and you're right. he has
    Last edited by Lucas; 09-10-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

So Obama is a professor at Duke now?
    Nope.
    Read your history.
    These are the kind of folks/BS that Obama was promoting and trying to inflict on the Chicago Public Schools when that was "his job" as Chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge grant. (among others)

What does this have to do with Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin? Has any one of the four actually endorsed this?
    It's part and parcel of the Democrat/teachers-unions collaboration.
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 09-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.