View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 678 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1785786286686766776786796806887287781178 ... LastLast
Results 10,156 to 10,170 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

can someone give me the history of shaolin-Do

yes i did know that SCS ran things that way but in truth (or what ever you wish to call it) SCS and SD are different organizations???????? in alot of ways, that they run things, not say that is good or bad just different,,,
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by weakstudent View Post
    can someone give me the history of shaolin-Do
    Judging by your profile, apparently you're not a very good investigator either if you've made it this far and are still asking I kid I kid Just read through this thread and it'll tell ya pretty much everything
    Last edited by SDJerry; 09-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Apples & Oranges

Leto - I agree with shen ku. Other than GM Sin and similar material SCS and SD have nothing in common. I feel fortunate that things aren't ran the way you described at my SD school. If they were I would not train there. Do you know if new students are told up front that there are extra fees for advancement material? I find this whole practice to be very shady, and that's putting it mildly. I'm honestly surprised anyone is willing to train with them under such conditions.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Anyone know anything about Master Reid? After watching that video, seems like he'd be a stuff sun of a gun to handle.
    master reid has taught me a great deal about internal martial arts and has been very inspiring to me in my training.

he is a very skilled martial artist and will share his knowledge with anyone who takes the time to ask questions and work.

if any of you are ever in atlanta i would stop by and say hello to him.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Anyone know anything about Master Reid? After watching that video, seems like he'd be a stuff sun of a gun to handle.
    Greetings,

I trained with Master Reid for 8 years. Though I'm no advocate of the Shaolin-do/tao system these days, Reid is very good at what he does, is **** strong, and is a professional athlete. He was a member of the Atlanta Falcons for several years.

He also happens to be a good guy. We held the first ever Atlanta Bullshido throwdown at his school at which one fellow got his head pushed through a wall. Mr. Reid didn't complain or even make us pay for it!

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Leto - I agree with shen ku. Other than GM Sin and similar material SCS and SD have nothing in common. I feel fortunate that things aren't ran the way you described at my SD school. If they were I would not train there. Do you know if new students are told up front that there are extra fees for advancement material? I find this whole practice to be very shady, and that's putting it mildly. I'm honestly surprised anyone is willing to train with them under such conditions.
    csc atlanta do not do that. as far as i know it is the schools under the soards only.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Well I agree, it's shady. But they get away with it, I think, because their prices were significantly lower than most other martial arts schools (I don't know what the fees are like now). If you paid for a year in advance, and you went to all the extra classes and seminars that were offered, the overall cost would still be less than some schools' basic membership. I mean, there are places that charge $100 a month for classes, CSC was nowhere near that, even with the seminars added in.
    I don't like the format of the seminar for teaching material you're expected to know and test over. How clear an understanding can you really have, by spending one day a year practicing a form? Yes, you can practice and ask questions on your own afterwards. But there's so much other material to work on during class, it comes down to the same old issue: too much material to cover in too little time. And next month there's another seminar form to learn and add into your practice rotation...it would have been nice if they just slowed down. Of course, in the beginning I loved getting so much material and was ready to absorb everything they could throw at me (and I spent 12-20 hours a week in classes).
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

From a business stand point it is quite smart as far as ethical well I dont think so KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries

bob green

I always like hearing stories about the old timers like eric smith and bill leonard and bob green. I noticed Master Green specializes in monkey, but we only have a maybe 4 monkey forms, 2 of which were just recently taught. My question is, does anyone know what forms he knows and what his monkey training consists of?

The Monkey Forms we know are taught may not be all that were taught to some KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Seminar forms have been added to upper level rank advancement, after the fact...if you didn't attend the seminar...it will be taught in your regular class at no extra charge....by the time you need it.....years later.....example, I need Pakua spear for my next internal test....took the seminar years ago before it was required....I just wanted to learn the form and have a fun day with GM Sin & all the other SD friends.....now I need it and Pakua spear has been taught in regular class ......no extra charge....I know, I helped teach it.
    BQ

Then why pay the money to learn something that is going to be taught in class? Waste of hard earned money in my oppinion.

How did the tournament go on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    How did the tournament go on Saturday?
    Didn't you go?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

No. I was going to go but the only reason was to meet Baqua and he was not going to be there so I decided not to. Was a fun time?