View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 680 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1805806306706786796806816826907307801180 ... LastLast
Results 10,186 to 10,200 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    than i must have alot of weakness,

well i won't be at anything this weekend, i just had a death in the family so all you SD guys enjoy everything for me ,
    my condolences go out to your family
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Thank you so much
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Condolences

Shen Ku - Good thoughts and prayers to you and yours sir.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Blog Entries

shaolin do pakua

Found this yesterday. Don't know where their from, but let me say this represents about 90% of the pakua i've seen in SD. Which is unfortunate. I have seen some people who actually do pakua very well but they are few and far between.

Blog Entries

shaolin do pakua

THey are from Texas Austin SD Dont let the light hearted demo fool you That is not quite the way it is done their either KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    THey are from Texas Austin SD Dont let the light hearted demo fool you That is not quite the way it is done their either KC
    how is it done then? this looks like a lot of what i have seen for shaolin do all over the country.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

how is it done then? this looks like a lot of what i have seen for shaolin do all over the country.
    Posture wise, it was like evereyone else that does it. But I have to agree with KC on this one, it was demo-ized. First, while I am a huge YES fan, the tempo of Roundabout was a little to fast and that seemed to cause the guys to speed through the postures and truncate them. The stances were not done correctly, the hand movements were way too fast and "pulled" and the speed was too fast. M. Joe's Snake and Sword were both good but again, a bit on the fast side. Starship Trooper might have been a better choice for the music .

All that said, I have done demo's with music before and when I went back and watched them, I thought the same thing. You are out there, the music is blaring and viola, you speed through the form.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

The speed of the form and the height of each step is one of the things that seems to vary the most from school to school from my observations. I have to agree with bodhi warrior, although a lot of SD students pick up some Pa Kua, very few do it well. I don't think most students really put the time and thought into training it the way it should be trained. Unfortunately, for most, it seems to be a "get through" form. To do it well, you need to consistently train it. I thought this demo was a nice cross-section of SD Pa Kua, form the average to the pretty darn good.

And, for the record, I don't hold myself out as an example of good SD pa Kua. I'm probably in the middle with most everyone else. If I'm being critical, then I'm focusing that criticism on myself as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i do know of at least on master that works alot on pakua, but i have never seen him perform it (for the public) but he puts in alot of extra time and study on it, but alot of us in SD are trying to get some of everything we have and fale to get ALL of anything we have. Our strength, is our depth of material. Our weekness, is our depth of material,????????
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

How was the gathering?

Wasn't it this weekend? I was in Nashville and thought about making the drive up to Lexington but my son wasn't up to it.

than i must have alot of weakness,

well i won't be at anything this weekend, i just had a death in the family so all you SD guys enjoy everything for me ,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you , brother.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    All the moves are there . I think they were just rushed. Many of them were stiff, choppy and lacked the fluid movements normally associated with Ba Gua Zhang. I would like to hear what Bagualin has to say about this demo

Our weekness, is our depth of material,????????
    Bingo!! Nail on the head!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    The speed of the form and the height of each step is one of the things that seems to vary the most from school to school from my observations. I have to agree with bodhi warrior, although a lot of SD students pick up some Pa Kua, very few do it well. I don't think most students really put the time and thought into training it the way it should be trained. Unfortunately, for most, it seems to be a "get through" form. To do it well, you need to consistently train it. I thought this demo was a nice cross-section of SD Pa Kua, form the average to the pretty darn good.

And, for the record, I don't hold myself out as an example of good SD pa Kua. I'm probably in the middle with most everyone else. If I'm being critical, then I'm focusing that criticism on myself as well.
    Well said. I like the little save your @$$ part at the end!!