Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unemployed again!?!

Coworkers are human, with human foibles and inconsistencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Uki i believe works as a full time mason...
    and now i have reverted to trading masonry work for firewood... then i have to hand split it all to keep the house warm all winter... but i am a lazy, no name, no style, pot-head, martial artist who doesn't deserve children.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?
    No offense mate, but it sounds like you're not doing your job. Your higher-ups hired you to manage these underlings, regardless of their wanker status. You failed. Maybe you should inquire of the type of "attitude" your higher-ups want you to display: whip cracker, friend, stern father, etc. And then be that. And if that doesn't work suggest a change to you higher ups. At least then its noted.

At the same time, being on probation is the result of something. Maybe you need to check with your own immediate higher-up (between the ears) and see if you're managing your self right.

Good luck. Don't take no p1ss. But don't create it either.

Lonetiger

You seem to be adamant about the way things should be. Take it from me, it is very frustrating. There are other, less obtrusive ways to effect change and to get what you want. You are a martial artist...try being the proverbial bamboo and network with your c-workers.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job.
    You live in a prosperous country and don't have any serious health problems. You're no less fortunate than anyone on this forum. If you're character is getting ground down by the requirements of living in modern society and its many advantages, maybe you need to work more on your character.

Training MA can be a fairly selfish pursuit. Consider perhaps finding a line of work which benefits others and isn't all about making money or your own status. "Character building", they used to call it.

Well if you keep getting fired for the same thing, then the problem is probably you.
    Bingo!

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable.
    Your history indicates are that they probably are unacceptable. You are being sent a message, repeatedly, but you don't want to listen.

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?
    Not really. I've held each of my jobs for between three and eight years, and I left all of them for greener pastures. Some included managing up to thirty people, but I found I could make good (enough) money as a contract software developer without having to go through the headaches of management. My current job (5 years) is in the healthcare industry, so I'm hopefully helping the sick at least indirectly (I could have sold sub-prime mortgages instead).

Some of my subordinates became and remained good friends. One of my best friends, who unfortunately died earlier this year, was my boss for about 15 years at various places. It isn't necessary to be a domineering a-hole with a broomstick up his a$$ to succeed in management.

I've still managed to train between 3 and 5 times a week for most of that.

The best martial artist I know held a highly responsible government job all his working life, stayed married to the same woman and brought up two fantastic kids. And managed to stay the best martial artist I've ever seen.

The best martial artists IMO are well rounded people who manage to succeed in all areas of their lives, not just their training.

The Adams quote above is of great relevance to your situation. "by your actions," being the pivotal line.

As the Sex Pistols said, "The problem is YOU! Whatcha gonna do?"
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-03-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Bosses can screw up too - repeatedly.

Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Time for you to face up to the fact that the problem is YOU and no one and no thing else. Get some help, psycho.

Some people here have some good advice. Here's a summary with me adding my bits:
    1. If you keep banging your head against the wall in your chosen profession - maybe it's time for a change in profession.
    2. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil. I don't like the corp environment because I don't play well with others. When I complained - I got let go. Either you do your bit and keep your mouth shut in those environments or you don't get to hang around long.
    3. Do you REALLY want to continue in your field? Then change your attitude. Go back to the boss that fired you and ask for a few minutes of his/her time. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how many people would give you the time if you said that you wanted to have a sit-down-chat and find out how you can improve on what you do for a living.

Something's gotta change, because pretty soon you won't be employable. You'll be blacklisted due to firings and long term unemployment.

Best,
    K
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

You've had some good advice, tho some of it harsh... from what I know of you from the board you're not going to the harsh stuff badly anyway...

Do you want to be more specific? What industry? Who were you supposed to be training in what? Do you know of any incidents or anything that might have led people to see you as threatening?

Nope. Retrain! You're never to late to be able to learn more about your job.

Martial arts have nothing to do with the world of modern work. Well, they do if you make them your life and really take all the philosophical **** on board, but leave it at home anyway. If you make a conscious decision to leave it at home, you'll find it comes into work with you in only the good, chilled out or self-disciplined ways.

The most important MA cliche you can take to work with you though, is to have an empty cup every day.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

just do your job as defined and quit trying to cut and shape it into something it's not.

If you build the company and make it yours from teh ground up, that's different, but if you are heeled to another, then you serve that line of thinking and not your own.

It's a simple reality and shouldn't be that difficult to see.

In short, if you don't like it, shove off and get your own gig, otherwise, you gotta serve someone if you haven't the tenacity and wit to make your own way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

While there's a lot of good advice on this thread, I'm wondering a bit why everybody is so hostile to him. It hardly seems like the way to show someone (especially someone who has come to you - unknown people - laying down his heart for advice) who has been accused of hostility. Apart from being arrogant, egotistical and smug. Just a thought.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

We're not being hostile, we're just exercising strict discipline using direct communication to point out an unsatisfactory attitude and a lack of dedication to a full time job. Now I can see how as martial artists this may come across as 'threatening behavior'.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    yea dude, i hear ya.

been criticised for the same thing...

... nowadays, it doesn't even seem like you can clearly identify to someone when they are ****ing up...even if it's been written in handbooks and s.o.p.'s
    Sums up my latest experience quite nicely. Check this, the 'motto' for the company is "improving peoples lives".

Mmmm, not an ounce of support for staff like me though, and many others imo. To put the thread more into context, I was called in for a 'Probation Review' (in the UK the first three months fulltime work is generally considered as a 'probation period')

'Review' it was not, as there was no mention of what I had actually accomplished over my time there, of the successful management decisions (which were many!) The meet was constructed to 'fail' me on the back of one recent meeting. It only highlighted this negative '20 mins'. Most of my staff were in complete shock when they learnt what had happened. Some were not, as it was their complaints and interviews that initiated the action. Good luck to them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Do you want to be more specific? What industry? Who were you supposed to be training in what? Do you know of any incidents or anything that might have led people to see you as threatening?
    The company is a top tier government contractor that retrains the unemployed throughout the UK. I was Deputy Business Manager, responsible for the delivery of our 'Intensive Activity Programs' to the long-term unemployed aged 25+. Last Monday we had just over 200 'mandated' participants on program.

The 'incident' was a 20mins outburst in a recent staff meeting, where believe it or not, I was personally criticised for not issuing ONE piece of paperwork during our Induction. I delivered approx 15 Inductions (1 per week) to new 'clients' and this happened on only one occassion.

I used the criticism to highlight the fact that sometimes we don't have everything that we're 'supposed' to have and I was looking for my staff to show their flexibility, but some staff just went loopy! Accusing me of other inconsistencies which were totally unfounded. Obviously I did turn the tables and highlighted the weaknesses of some of the staff which was a major no no according to my manager. 'Don't criticize your staff in front of others' was the message. I understand this, but my staff obviously didn't (and they didn't get disciplined either for 'ganging up' on their Manager!)

I'm cool though. Other than the pressure of my mortgage and food for the kids, I've survived through much worse financial scenarios before. It's just that I don't like to fail! I also thought it might be a good subject to share with you all, but obviously some of you are just as bad as the childish staff I no longer have to cover for...

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Time for you to face up to the fact that the problem is YOU and no one and no thing else. Get some help, psycho.
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    As the Sex Pistols said, "The problem is YOU! Whatcha gonna do?"
    "God Save The Queen!"
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

And when the exact same thing happens again (and again) you will come crawling back saying, "What happened? What is their problem?"

maybe a career change.

ever consider security or law enforcement?

at least then when you call someone down for screwing up in somewhat of a harsh manner, its expected. hell, its practically the norm...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.