Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why would you raise up when you kick?

Cool

There is a very important reason why we in our art are taught to keep a firm and flat root while kicking and NOT to rise up...telegraphing.

You should be able to throw strong power kicks without committing your upper body into the action or disrupting your stepping or footwork. What this means is that if your opponent's vision is focused on your chest or hands, he will never see your kick coming until it is too late, it will have all of the signs of just being another step or stance shift to his viewpoint.

I do an exercise/drill that is very helpful in this. I throw low/med height kicks (roundhouse, snap, side, etc) while watching myself in a mirror that just displays myself from above the chest. Actually, I use my bathroom medicine-cabinet mirror . I drill the kicks and also practice balance shifts while watching myself in the mirror until I can detect ZERO head-bob or movements in my shoulders that give away the fact that I'm kicking.

What this has done has given me the ability to throw fast strong kicks with little-to-no telegraphing, and to do so within my normal motion and footwork.
    And all that the Lorax left here in this mess
    was a small pile of rocks, with the one word..."UNLESS."
    --Dr. Seuss

qeySuS . . there's a differnece between pivoting on the ball of your foot and raising up like a ballerina.

i can see putting more weight on the ball for round houses, but you still don't raise your hight. we were having a discussion about pivots a while back and someone liked a proper pivot to crushing out a cigerette butt.

then again my teacher also likes pukulan allot which is up on the balls of their feet allot . .like boxers. . i just haven't gotten into the style enough to know why. i do know that the style appears to be very linear though . ... the way they move would make it harder to get to the ankle or knee than say a wide round house. with a kick that wide all someone has to do is fall into your ankle when your up on tippietoe and you're going down. at that point it's not going to take any precision or power . .. your ankle will fold and you will say ouch.

it just seems like a bad idea to me.
    where's my beer?

I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Seriously though, from what I've seen and felt, keeping the foot flat doesn't seem to add any additional power. My master gets additional power on his side kick for example by driving in with the non-kicking leg. We are taught to never have a straight leg even if the heel is up for a spin or roundhouse.
    Last edited by rogue; 12-06-2001 at 07:15 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Stacey Guest
    well duh, equal and opposite forces. However coming up on the ball of your foot is unstable. If you can kick on a slippery surface, your ok, the question is, can you do that kick and remain standing if they absorb and step forward?

BTW that video was sick. I loved it, that woman probably got paid well for that. And to think that I'm stuck at a clothes store.

Root shmoot

Why is raising the heel unstable? I do it hundreds of times a day without a problem. I do it on carpets, climbing scrabble covered hills, smooth floors, slippery floors, and rarely, if ever have a problem. It's called walking.

"the question is, can you do that kick and remain standing if they absorb and step forward? "

Yes, though I'm still working on it. Here's the way it works, if I shoot the side kick in and you start to move back I can use non-kicking leg to drive forward into range again. If you move in and the kick is still moving out of chamber I can still use the non-kicking leg to drive into you and push you back. This takes a lot of bag work and sparring practice to get down, but it's a common technique in my school by the time someone get's to brown belt. I'm an in-fighter stacy and so I've caught quite a few of these.

Also, during sparring I usually fight with my heels slightly raised anyway as it makes moving a bit faster.

BTW, that was no woman that's my wife helping me with my ground fighting skills.

DM

rouge . .. word on keeping your knee bent even if you raise up.

but what about the vulnerability issues i mentioned earlier?

also i am able to get more power flat footed, but that could just be the way i have personaly evolved because of my style.
    where's my beer?

If you're talking about the ankle example, if I understand you correctly, that could happen no matter how the foot is planted.

The heel doesn't stay high up after the spin or pivot is completed, though some in my school drop it all the way down, but I like to keep it up and my weight on the balls of the feet. The only real bad I've seen is pivoting on the heel during a kick, the weight is back and people that I've seen use it seem to slip more often.

I think a person get's the most power by what they train.

DM

test

DM