Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: one of the better wing chun clips on youtube

breathing and striking....

Funny thing is...in the Iron Palm practice of my lineage....we do dantien breathing during our striking sets and again afterwards while executing the SLT form so the breathing is reinforced into the basic movements and structure of the style(SLT). The feedback I have got from fellow students is profound. I feel like I am only striking with the same control and intensity that I have always used in class settings for the other students safety. But, several of the students I 'touch hands' with have been commenting (after only 4 months of the IP training) that my hands are a heluva lot heavier in my striking than they were before. This is due to IP training AND Chi Kung breathing. Ive had to be even more careful in my training because of this.
    Also in our WC the feet follow the hands, the hands strike and release energy with the breath. So our breathing catalyzes our whole body's energy from the ground up. Ours is a Yip Man lineage. Sifu Ali was taught this same method.

P.S. Wasssup, HardWork8!
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Thumbs up Good Job Hardwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    .P.S. Wasssup, HardWork8!
    I look foreword in reading every last one of your post, They got it all wrong, and I will not compare them to a saying that deals with the human anatomy or phase that says; "everybody got one"…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 10-11-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    But, but .... you teach both WC and boxing. How can you do that with a straight face if you believe that statement? Come on.
    That's right But, But...

You cant be serious, I’ve never mix the two arts or teach them together, because I truly understand the difference between them both…

With me, it’s either wing chun or boxing, but never together, and if you can bring poof of my mixing the arts, please do so, I have well over a 100 clips to choose from.

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 10-11-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Mixing arts together is well out of my pay range; I’ve only finish two groups of basics, Wing Chun/Boxing, and still wouldn’t know where to begin…

Ali Rahim.

Good Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Funny thing is...in the Iron Palm practice of my lineage....we do dantien breathing during our striking sets and again afterwards while executing the SLT form so the breathing is reinforced into the basic movements and structure of the style(SLT).
    The same with us. The dan tien breathing is part and parcel of our Wing Chun and from my understanding these exercises and their many variations are part and parcel of all authentic kung fu styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan
    The feedback I have got from fellow students is profound. I feel like I am only striking with the same control and intensity that I have always used in class settings for the other students safety. But, several of the students I 'touch hands' with have been commenting (after only 4 months of the IP training) that my hands are a heluva lot heavier in my striking than they were before. This is due to IP training AND Chi Kung breathing. Ive had to be even more careful in my training because of this.
    I know what you are talking about. I have been hit by IP hands and the only thing I can say is OUCH!

The strikes go through to the inside and outside muscle mass does not seem to stop the the force going through, hence the need for other exercises to protect the body against such strikes.

As far as I am concerned, there is no IP training without chi kung, just like there is no kung fu training without the chi-kung.

Also in our WC the feet follow the hands,
    We use the same principle.

the hands strike and release energy with the breath. So our breathing catalyzes our whole body's energy from the ground up.
    Sounds like good kung fu to me.

Ours is a Yip Man lineage. Sifu Ali was taught this same method.
    Well that is going to be en eye opener for some of the Yip Man lineage people here whose sifus did not bother to teach them the chi kung aspects of this art.

P.S. Wasssup, HardWork8!
    I am great and I hope that you are well. Finally I came back from my vacations and I am preparing to leave London for warmer climates. Meanwhile I am trying to enlighten some of this forum's kickboxers to the intricacies of real kung fu and boy it ain't easy, because nothing seems to be going through to them.

Some of them may not know anything about Iron Palm but they sure seem to have mastered the enchant art of Iron Skull

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I look foreword in reading every last one of your post, They got it all wrong, and I will not compare them to a saying that deals with the human anatomy or phase that says; everybody got one…

Ali Rahim.
    Thanks Sifu Ali. Reading Graychuan's post it is becoming apparent that your school and ours share quite a few similarities.

I read some of these people's posts and I just laugh(and I do, believe me). They have no idea about what real kung fu training entails and unfortunately they are in the majority.

This reflects the sad state of kung fu nowadays but the fact that they only see things through their Western tinted glasses turns a bad situation into a hopeless one!

They see concepts that they don't understand as mumbo jambo.

They try short cuts at every opportunity and one of the first things that one has to know about real kung fu training is that THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS!

They don't know that the internals are PART AND PARCEL of kung fu training.

Many of them don't appreciate that forms are PART AND PARCEL of kung fu training.

And the sad part is that there are many of them who SELL what they teach as kung fu, while what they are doing is selling kung fu flavored kickboxing or self defense methods and to add insult to injury many of them describe what they sell as "functional", "practical","improved","street effective" , meaning better kung fu.

Lets hope that some of them wake up or at least I hope that newbies who are interested in learning REAL kung fu don't fall into the trap of taking these people's "kung fu" seriously.

Take care.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-11-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Originally Posted by HardWork8
    I read some of these people's posts and I just laugh (and I do, believe me) they have no idea about what real kung fu training entails and unfortunately they are in the majority.
    Yeah, you got that right… It seems to me that; the more they speak the more it reminds me of ‘Homer Simpson’ falling down a cliff while hitting every rock, branch and shrubbery alone the way, and at the same time escalating their true kung fu understanding to a major halt…

I’m getting more laughs to the equivalent of a bomb, kind da like an explosion of an unmanned firework factory…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Believe me when anyone asks me to recommend a martial art for fast results then I recommend them to practice kickboxing (also boxing and even BJJ).
    Well. I have to tell you. I want fast results for myself and for the people that I train with.

So, there should be NO difference with Wing Chun training. Anything other than fast results in a TMA is about agendas, making lots and lots of money and grandmasterofalmightyness.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I’ll favor education over movements any day… It’s always been ABOUT, who’s the better chess player and with the quick fix, one will always get lost on the board…

It’s not how tough you are, it’s all about how smart one is…

Why the quick fix, its not like one is going to war or something? And well over 75% of the people here have never been in a real street fight anyway, I say if you want to waste your time, then do it metaphysically, working the brain as well the body…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 10-11-2008 at 07:12 PM.

and if you can bring poof of my mixing the arts,
    Lol, I don't have any real interest in what you do.

I don't know why you want me to bring a poof along, though. Are you trying to make your gym gay friendly or something?

Did the fury win?
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

That’s madness… You charge me of mixing arts, and then when asked to back up your claim; you said, that you “hold no interest in what I do”…

Then why make such a reply; is it out of pure deception, and of twisting and turning the truth around, while using the term “gay gym” as if that would hurt something or me? I don’t share their beliefs, but they have the right to choose whom ever they want to be with, and they should be respected just like everyone else... Your cynical calculation about h0m0sexuality (overtone) and me is only fueled by pure hate…

Talk about falling down a cliff while hitting every rock, branch and shrubbery alone the way, you just put your name right next to that...

And if you really don’t care about what I do, then why asks about a 17 year old kid that I teach? I only have two words for you sir, Grow Up!!!!

Ali Rahim.

Wing Chun/Kali- an update

Well, I can admit to mixing the h e l l out of a video though...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGs28ywwct4
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Then why make such a reply; is it out of pure deception, and of twisting and turning the truth around, while using the term “gay gym” as if that would hurt something or me? I don’t share their beliefs, but they have the right to choose whom ever they want to be with, and they should be respected just like everyone else... Your cynical calculation about h0m0sexuality (overtone) and me is only fueled by pure hate…
    LOL, you made a typo. I made a joke about it referencing gays. As a BJJ practitioner, I get accused of being gay regularly. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Jeez, talk about touchy.

why asks about a 17 year old kid that I teach?
    There's a whole thread about him ("Did the Fury win?"), which you somehow managed to miss despite the fact it asks you the same question repeatedly. Just a reminder. I guess I managed to push a few buttons there.

I only have two words for you sir, Grow Up!!!!
    I only have two words for you (and one exclamation mark) .... Anger Management!
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-11-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Well. I have to tell you. I want fast results for myself and for the people that I train with.
    That is fair enough, but real kung fu training was never about fast results, even if during periods of turmoil in China's history one can assume that some short cuts were made in some schools (and presumably by genuine masters or sifus of kung fu and not Tai Kwon Do or etc.). For example emphasising the weapon's mastery over unarmed combat skills.

Quote Originally Posted by couch
    So, there should be NO difference with Wing Chun training.
    The difference is the WING CHUN training itself which encompasses forms and the internals among other things just like other major (and non-major) kung fu styles. Once you pick and choose the aspects of a given style then you are moving away from that style.

Quote Originally Posted by couch
    Anything other than fast results in a TMA is about agendas, making lots and lots of money and grandmasterofalmightyness.
    First of all, training in the authentic way will give you BETTER results, but of course it will take longer.

Secondly, many modern schools of MAs that teach the realistic stuff can also be regarded as money making scams. All one needs to do is look at some of their "defenses" against knife attacks.

What I am saying is that there are schools on both sides that are scams but the fact remains that the study of real kung fu and its successful application in self defense takes longer than that of Muy Thai or even BJJ. The reason being that the average kung fu style is much richer and has many more aspects to it than the styles named above.

If you make any short cuts then that means you are cutting out aspects that were in the original design of a given style, meaning that you are not teaching THAT style anymore but b@stardized version.

And in my opinion describing a b@stardized form of fighting as Wing Chun is not a very honest way of teaching. However, there is nothing stopping anyone calling it "Modern Self Defense style of XYZ based on Wing Chun", which would be a more honest way of describing what is taught in many WC schools nowadays.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Yeah, you got that right… It seems to me that; the more they speak the more it reminds me of ‘Homer Simpson’ falling down a cliff while hitting every rock, branch and shrubbery alone the way, and at the same time escalating their true kung fu understanding to a major halt…

I’m getting more laughs to the equivalent of a bomb, kind da like an explosion of an unmanned firework factory…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

The laughs that this forum provides are good for both our healths and at the end of the day they outclass the Comedy Channel and they are much cheaper at the same time.