Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd World Traditional Wushu Championship

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    湖北世界传统武术节

Only China can pull stuff of this stature off, just by the shear numbers & pagentry no other country will ever be able to compare.

That's what happens when your population is 1.3 billion and the worlds population is 6.6 billion. When your country's population makes up close to 20% of the worlds, everything is bigger.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Nice links firepalm

I was wondering if Wudang could match what Shaolin has done in the past, especially in the wake of the Olympic opening ceremony. There's not nearly as many practitioners in Wudang as in Shaolin (Shaolin is presently estimated at 58,000 full-time students). They must have imported some talent.

There's always been starlets at these. It was at the First World Traditionals when I saw Vicky Zhao Wei live - she's now starring in the latest HK blockbuster, Painted Skin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some nice pics

Wish I could have made it. Looks like a lot of fun...
    Martial Arts Festival held in Hubei
    Source: CCTV.com
    11-01-2008 10:07

A celebration of the martial arts is under way in central China's Hubei province. 70 countries are represented at the international event.

The third World Traditional Martial Arts Festival got underway Wednesday in Shiyan. The opening ceremony was attended by more than two thousand kungfu practitioners -- from the US, Britain, Australia, and Canada and many more countries.

This year's festival focuses on the role of Taoism in the development of Chinese martial arts. Taoism, as a school of philosophy, first came into being during the Spring and Autumn Period more than two thousand years ago. Taoism is an integral part of traditional Chinese culture. It has also contributed a distinctive philosophy of martial arts.

The festival will include a tournament. Over two thousand contestants will match skills in four main categories.

The event was co-organized by the International Martial Arts Federation and the China Martial Arts Association.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yellow River Fighter

Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

88-year-old Liu Zijun

Now that's what I'm talking about! That's the kind of stuff I love about the Traditionals. Nice post, firepalm!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips