Anyone here from Bridgeport, CT of Richmond, VA?
New Police Chief: Martial Arts is Key
Posted: Nov 18, 2008 02:29 AM

Could martial arts help end gang activity and school violence? It's a question CBS 6 put to Richmond's new top cop.

Chief Bryan Norwood says kids need to be engaged and have strong role models. Norwood started martial arts programs as chief in Bridgeport, Connecticut. He calls those programs a huge success.

Now, he wants to implement these programs in Richmond city schools. "The martial arts provides that specific discipline that allows them to really focus on certain parts of their life," says Chief Bryan Norwood.

Strong discipline, strong minds and self confidence. They're a life long lesson for Brady Taylor. He believes he would be dead if he had not taken part in a martial arts program. Taylor's been enrolled in the program for several years. In middle school, Taylor says older kids picked on and physically abused him. "They punched me, kicked me, pushed me, threw me up against the chairs," says Taylor. This worried Taylor's mother. At one point, Patti Hobbs thought her son may turn violent. "Columbine really scared me because Brady was the child who nobody ever paid any attention to unless they were pounding on him," says Hobbs. But Hobbs say that changed when Brady signed up for Martial Arts. "If he could control his own environment and feel safe then he wouldn't need to lash out and it has worked...it's been wonderful."

CBS 6 contacted Richmond Public Schools. Right now, the district says it doesn't have Martial Arts programs in place. But Felicia Cosby tells CBS 6 the district is excited Chief Norwood is willing to work closely with students and looks forward to discussing this concept.