Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on finding new kwoon

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    different people like different things. Some prefer a more "Health Club" atmosphere-they just want to go in, do their workout and go home.
    Face it, nobody refers to their fellow gym members as their "step-class brothers."

Others, like myself, enjoy a more "private club-like", or family, Old school Mo-Kwoons, where the student is "part of something."
    These do not have to be small either. You can have a larger, more successful Mo-Kwoon, where the older brothers take the younger brothers under their wings, and still have a personal approach with the training.

Red Flags come from your gut instinct.
    Contracts are NOT a sign that the school is too commercial, simply that they have an overhead. A nicer facility requires rent, heat, electricity, and well-maintained equipment. Contracts are simply tuition billing systems that takes the responsibility out of the Sifu's hands,of chasing down students who don't make timely payments, or try to get something for nothing.

A ranking system, whether it is colored sashes or something else, only means that the teacher has a step-by-step, well thought out curriculum, and gives his students a sense of accomplishment. However, if you see a large amount of students with high rank, and zero skill-then that would be a red flag.

As far as student skill levels are concerned, remember that in any school, there will be a solid core of hard-working, go the extra mile,skilled, talented students. These are the exception. Not everyone is going to be a Bruce Lee. Most are regular people. There will also be those who are completely ungifted, yet enjoy coming to class.

Red flags are also people teaching systems with no history. People who have flamboyant 'lineages' and made-up systems, or mysterious origins. Lineage counts for something-legitimate styles. But lineage will only get you so far. You could be the worst student under the best teacher and have great lineage.There could also be a teacher who while not being a lineage bearer, could very well be a better teacher due to his skill, knowledge, ability to teach, and passion.

Look for a teacher who is still learning, studying,refining their skills, and training. Someone who is content with themselves, no longer seeks a higher mountain. They feel they are that higher mountain. This also means that their knowledge is ot evolving, but decaying.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

Look for a teacher who is still learning, studying,refining their skills, and training. Someone who is content with themselves, no longer seeks a higher mountain. They feel they are that higher mountain. This also means that their knowledge is ot evolving, but decaying.
    this is probably one of the if not the most important factor(s) in deciding to learn under someone.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks Lucas. That is very good advice. I'm grateful. Fortunately, contracts are only popular with the TKD schools where I live. The CMA schools do not do them. I definitely need to watch how the senior students perform. The last kwoon I was at, they did their forms really well, but did not do a great job sparring in regards to attitude and technical skill. Also, I consider conditioning extremely important and will definitely keep an eye out on that. Once again, thanks for the great input. Take care.

one of my favorite sections of my training came from a school that did contracts. i would do a year contract at a time, and was ok with that because i was comfortable with where i was.

ive also had great experiences at places where you just hand em 50 bucks every month.

like ten tigers said the red flags will pop up in your gut more likely than not. you seem like you know what you are looking for. just take your time. take as many free classes as you can get.

some places will only let you watch, which is ok, but its always nice if you are invited to participate on your first day.

when i look at new schools, i always show up ready to train. it sucks if you go in from work to check it out and are in the wrong clothes when invited to train.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I mean in the most literal sense of the term.

That's pretty much what I thought......

Since the term "kungfu" is a Cantonese colloquialism, trying to understand or categorize it with any "literal translation" can be "misleading".

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    That's pretty much what I thought......

Since the term "kungfu" is a Cantonese colloquialism, trying to understand or categorize it with any "literal translation" can be "misleading".
    i knew that's where you were going...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

nope. As I said before, it is not so much a colloquialism as a conceptual term that encompasses a much broader scope. But it is widely used by Chinese Martial Artists and Martial Scholars. Hardly slang. Sure, directly translated it does not mean Martial Arts, and there are other terms,Mo-Sut, Mo-Sik, Wu-Shu, Wu-Gong, etc But Kung-Fu, Gung-Fu,Gong-Fu, etc is not only acceptable, it is the norm.
    It is not just used by Cantonese, but in mainland China, Malaysia,Taiwan, etc.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 12-03-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i knew that's where you were going...
    DANGNABBIT!

Am I getting THAT predictable?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nope. As I said before, it is not so much a colloquialism as a conceptual term that encompasses a much broader scope. But it is widely used by Chinese Martial Artists and Martial Scholars. Hardly slang. Sure, directly translated it does not mean Martial Arts, and there are other terms,Mo-Sut, Mo-Sik, Wu-Shu, Wu-Gong, etc But Kung-Fu, Gung-Fu,Gong-Fu, etc is not only acceptable, it is the norm.
    It is not just used by Cantonese, but in mainland China, Malaysia,Taiwan, etc.
    I was referring to its (Cantonese) origin.
    Apparently, I have "more regard" for origins than some.
    Calling someone's skill "kungfu" generally happens when they "admire" that skill.

One Amer-English phrase that is commonly used to express such "admiration" might be:

"HOT Sh1T!"

A literal translation of that phrase would also be "misleading".

Most important question: What do you want to get out of your training?

Seems simple enough, but its where most people go wrong... right from the start.

Do you want to learn to truly be able to protect yourself and loved ones realistically? Do you want to connect more to asian culture and the dress and forms and weaponry? Two different things.

If you are serious about the first one, I suggest you start with Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu for several reasons. First, it has a high standard and is pretty available. Finding good instruction shouldn't be hard. Also, the training will get you in shape fast and make your body dense, from the inside. Again, just a result of the training. You'll also get more flexible and used to body contact and flow.... all without having to deal with getting punched. This is a great, healthy martial art.

At a place like that you'll also probably find people dialed into your martial art community who then can guide you to stand up training that suits you.

If you're going the other direction, I suggest you buy some Chinese history books and save your money and time and just join a gym. The number of folks at "kwoons" is large. The percent of those folks that I would consider martial artists based on their offense and defensive abilities is very small. That's why I ask, what do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    I was referring to its (Cantonese) origin.
    Apparently, I have "more regard" for origins than some.
    Calling someone's skill "kungfu" generally happens when they "admire" that skill.

One Amer-English phrase that is commonly used to express such "admiration" might be:

"HOT Sh1T!"

A literal translation of that phrase would also be "misleading".
    you're pulling nose hairs on this one.

many people blanket term all chinese martial arts as kungfu.

most people who have practiced chinese martial arts for a while know that kungfu is a term that doesn't mean martial arts.

The term is widely used outside of Southern China as well and is more or less global now. Anyway, that's not the point at hand.

To the original poster, check out the ezine here and there is an article on the front page called "what is kungfu" and there are also other articles on what to look for in a school. These are general and good advice and pretty much what you'll get here so long as we all don't get caught in the weeds and muck.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Do you want to learn to truly be able to protect yourself and loved ones realistically? Do you want to connect more to asian culture and the dress and forms and weaponry? Two different things.
    I don't post much, so I don't know Mr. Pina, but I am just in awe at this statement. Either you have been burned by a school/instructor, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, or are some kid that thinks he's being funny.

I didn't quote the rest of your comments but they're also about as outlandish as it gets.... protecting yourself and your loved ones... suggesting brazilian jiu-jitsu. While I have respect for all arts, I can't even fathom why you would make that a first suggestion.

Are you suggesting that if some idiot walks up and puts a gun to my child's head, I should be thankful that I've had some brazilian jiu-jitsu training and now I know how to protect my family?

Don't read this wrong people... I have plenty of respect for bjj and all other solid arts... I however, have no respect for Mr. Pina's post.

we all love ray, but i want to point out he is biased, him saying practice brazilian jiu jitsu and not kung fu, is like george bush saying he recommends you join the republican party and not the democratic,
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

yeah, I like Ray.
    ..but then again, I like amoebic dysentery
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

with me its more the sifu than the style

at this point in my journey, i know most styles have something, but i would rather work with an amazing sifu in a style i never heard of than work with a mediocre sifu in a style i love

This post on another thread really made a lot of sense to me. I share this fellow users POV. I think I have been partial to one style and it has really influenced the way I have been looking at things and also has possibly guided me in the wrong direction in the past as well. My first sifu was not only a great teacher, but I great friend as well. It is probably hard or unusual to find that combination. I may be wrong because I do not have that much experience. I have only studied with two sifus. My next sifu was a nice enough guy, but looking back, he was not a very good instructor compared to my first teacher and many teachers I considered studying with at the time. He did not have the experience my first teacher had and I believe that he lost his desire to teach if he ever even had it. I believe you should have a great working relationship with your sifu, but the bottom line is the quality of training.