Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Only Truly Authentic Shaolin System

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    My grays get in the way !
    LOL !

We are all searching in our journey as martial artists, most of us take different paths from one another.
    I don't think you have the right to make a judgment call based on, well, nothing, in regards to one person's chosen path, none of us do.
    At best we can explain we we chose OUR path, or why we are on OUR path at this time, other than that, we are just pontificating and what does no one any good.
    Sincerely i am attempting to educate about our N. Shaolin traditional training concepts.
    Being a sarcastic a h o l e is just one of those little excentricities I'm attempting to work out on my own LOL!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Sincerely i am attempting to educate about our N. Shaolin traditional training concepts.
    Being a sarcastic a h o l e is just one of those little excentricities I'm attempting to work out on my own LOL!
    LOL !
    Well put and well said !
    I don't think Simon deserved the "educational tone" in your post, but hey, we all need to get out lumps, one way or another.

I did find this part of your post quite interesting:
    At 50 years old I got a chance to play hands on with the "civilians" and I have not one scratch not even a bruised knuckle. I attribute this to skills I have developed from practicing the BSL training forms. I don't spar much any more but stepping, stance, transition, geometry and alignment proved superior in some pretty hairy situations. I never used any energy beyond that necessary to repel an attack and control the attacker's movements.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

LOL !
    Well put and well said !
    I don't think Simon deserved the "educational tone" in your post, but hey, we all need to get out lumps, one way or another.

You're absolutely right
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

You're absolutely right
    In regards to your post:

I don't spar much any more but stepping, stance, transition, geometry and alignment proved superior in some pretty hairy situations. I never used any energy beyond that necessary to repel an attack and control the attacker's movements.
    This echos what has been said to me by my current Hung Kuen Sifu and even by O Sensei and many others in the past.
    Would you care to expand on that please?

LOL !
    Well put and well said !

Quote:
    At 50 years old I got a chance to play hands on with the "civilians" and I have not one scratch not even a bruised knuckle. I attribute this to skills I have developed from practicing the BSL training forms. I don't spar much any more but stepping, stance, transition, geometry and alignment proved superior in some pretty hairy situations. I never used any energy beyond that necessary to repel an attack and control the attacker's movements.
    Well a funny thing happened to my practice at one point. I became quite ill and nearly lost my life!
    All through that I kept practicing and some days I could not nearly finnish fragments of a strand as I suffered shortness of breath and dizziness.
    My teacher had always emphasized not only the deep stance work but also the details of each individual stance's geometry. I began to realize that rather than "try" to "get through" the form I literally took it "one step at a time" and as I stepped the effort drained away. It became more like just walking instead of performing. As a matter of health maintenance I began the "morning and evening no matter what" routine since my herbalist informed me had it not been for my diligence of persistent daily practice I'd be dead. Sobering huh? Not sure if I answered your question but thanks for drawing me out.
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 01-12-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Really which part?
    This one:

I don't spar much any more but stepping, stance, transition, geometry and alignment proved superior in some pretty hairy situations. I never used any energy beyond that necessary to repel an attack and control the attacker's movements.

Wow, you certainly got your short hairs all twisty nice and fast. Ate you angry pills this morning I see.

First off: take a deep breath, it's only the internet.

Personally I do not care if you agree with me or not since it is quite apparent that not only are you inexperienced you are also miss-informed.

Like most of us who were once "young, dumb and full of ------- you'll learn.
    Ah the much lauded ad-homenem attack. Can't challenge the argument so I'll just call the person making the argument names. Wonderful, such a classic (if pointless) strategy.

Another thing I love about "the New Martial Artist" is the distinction of being a "GRAPPLER"! What because you practiced some potpourri mixed martial art garbage you think you have a lock on the brand of fighting called Grappling? The more you reveal the greener you appear, wet behind the ears with mother's milk on your chin, LOL!
    CMA has LOTS of "grappling" traditions. Shuai Jiao and Mongolian Wrestling are the first two examples that come to mind but they are not the gamut of Chinese grappling. I happen to finally settle on a school that offers this as one of the concentrations.

And I really couldn't care less how "green" or "young" you think I am. At least I'm apparently not a geriatric fossil like some others I could mention.

Dancercize!!
    YES, DANCERCIZE!!!!!

Quite a few people in martial art live there. That was one of the problems with contemporary, no Da (hit).

You're a CMA but primarily a GRAPPLER? LOL!
    In order to master ANYTHING you'd HAVE TO PICK SOMETHING TO FOCUS ON!!!

I skipped a bunch of stuff that you completely misinterpreted what I was saying. Before we proceed I suggest you go back and re-read my post since reading is fundamental.

You know what a person claiming Mixed Martial art says to me?

You are lost because you lack the ability to show true martial teachers with real knowledge that you have the integrity be viewed as TEACHABLE. So you wander about aimlessly picking up a bit of this and adding some of that! Being a true student of martial culture is about personal integrity. Being able to demonstrate the nearly extinct concepts such as respect for your elders, courtesy, loyalty, compassion, duty, friendship, love and honor.
    Your point is? Oh wait, I got it... you are insinuating that the schools that I left (because they were poor schools, because I moved, because the school closed, etc.) had "the real stuff" but chose not to teach it to me because of some imagined moral deficit that you, in your godlike perception, have identified based on the fact that I called forms dancercize.

Here, I'll say it again,

Forms are dancercize.

Sparring is fun though. Isn’t it? You hit them! They hit you! Big fun!
    Yes it is. It's also the best way to train for melee fight situations, both bare hand and armed.

Of course with weapon sparring a certain level of realism must be lost due to safety concerns but my point remains valid. To train fight instinct, reflexes and transitions under stress sparring is necessary.

Now sparring practices and competitions are good ways of training this. However, the most important thing to learn from the instructor is the proper meaning and application of techniques. It is of utmost importance, that the theories and rules of engagement are passed down from teacher to student.

See on the fact that the meaning and application of technique is fundamental we do not disagree. I just don't think you can obtain such through the use of fantasy LARP.

[quote]
    Yea, you can learn to fight and apply techniques by actual applications and combat experiences.

But,

This is a hard and slow way of developing ones skills even though it might seem like it’s the quick way in the beginning.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's funny.

Do you have any basis for that comment?

Notice I didn’t use the word “fighting”? IMHO the word fight implies intention to injure which creates karma. Each time one manifests these intentions they radiate out into the universe like the waves from a rock dropped in a pond.
    Look, if you want to do forms as a type of meditation-in-motion than be my guest. However don't then characterize what you are doing as a fighting system. My comments were that while forms are not harmful they are not essential. Since we appear to have a disconnect here let me clarify:

Forms, while not harmful are not essential for learning how to do martial arts (IE: the arts of fighting).

Have fun practicing your forms LARPHopKuen.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

First off where do you get the impression I'm angry?

I think you are a bit though...

LOL! Signifies Humor. If I was angry I'd let you know

As far as Live Action Role Play goes I'll leave that type of thing to little internet martial artist like yourself.

People know me, I'm a real Martial Arts Teacher with 100's of students.

You're sum guy that likes to fight SimoMe?

So you are saying Northern Shaolim is not a tried and true fighting system?

I'm always willing to prove that it is, as I'm sure so are many of my martial brothers, my seniors and students are as well.....

You miss-spelled my internet handle BTW. Lokhopkuen is Cantonese for Six Harmonies Fist.

SimoMe is a lady's name isn't it?

I shared some valuable info here, not so much for you but for the people who are really interested to learn martial art.

Silly you skipped over all the martial training theory and went right to some emotional little girl s h i t. Buddy any martial artist who CAN fight HAS fighting experience. The only way to learn how to fight is to get in the ring, on the mat and mix it up.

My thesis was and still is that it has it's place in training after the body has been prepared for it. You might think of actually attempting to contribute some information related to martial arts. I've read your posts on other topics, 3,561 and counting. Not one contains any information just silly contentious "I don't believe in that" baby talk. Stand up and maybe practice every once in a while?

You win sweetheart. Now go focus your ignorance on someone else
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 01-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Ah LARPHopKuen, from the ad homenem to the net-challenge in just one email. This is so fun.

For the record my nickname in China was Ximen Qing. You can make assertations on my gender from that.

Addendum: That nickname really embarassed me in China after I actually READ Shuei Hu Zhuan.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Ah LARPHopKuen, from the ad homenem to the net-challenge in just one email. This is so fun.

For the record my nickname in China was Ximen Qing. You can make assertations on my gender from that.

Addendum: That nickname really embarassed me in China after I actually READ Shuei Hu Zhuan.
    I'm not challenging you. You'd loose.
    Wipe your chin
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 01-12-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Woooo, you got me there LARPhopkuen.

Wait... I forgot... I'm "just a youngin'" (how old are you anyway). Everyone knows that the ones with the real slobber control problems are the senior citizens and since you think yourself so much older than me that likely includes... you!

And since I'm much too polite to hurt some old guy with osteoperosis and a bad hip I guess I wouldn't be able to beat you in a fight.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Woooo, you got me there LARPhopkuen.

Wait... I forgot... I'm "just a youngin'" (how old are you anyway). Everyone knows that the ones with the real slobber control problems are the senior citizens and since you think yourself so much older than me that likely includes... you!

And since I'm much too polite to hurt some old guy with osteoperosis and a bad hip I guess I wouldn't be able to beat you in a fight.
    "You are lost because you lack the ability to show true martial teachers with real knowledge that you have the integrity be viewed as TEACHABLE. So you wander about aimlessly picking up a bit of this and adding some of that!"

Being a true student of martial culture is about personal integrity.

Being able to demonstrate the nearly extinct concepts such as respect for your elders, courtesy, loyalty, compassion, duty, friendship, love and honor.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

It would be nice to get back to the thread...eventually...

We are so far down the timeline that attribution to a single source is folly. Which in turn renders the title and perhaps intention of the thread moot.

there is no "only " "truly" "authentic" anything when it comes to martial arts. even less so when speaking of shaolin which has more permutations than rabbits have children.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sorry SR, I'm through playing with LARPhopkuen so you won't get any more interference from me at this time.
    Simon McNeil