Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
i had two hernias in 1985...one operated on in may, one in oct...effed me up for training for over 6 months...went from 185 to 200 for the first time in my life...oh, and case you are tempted...sex of any sort is contraindicated until cleared by the doc...learned that one the...um, hard way

broken leg in 1998...kept me out for about 6-8 weeks or so then i started back in w/ stance training and slow forms work...

rotator cuff surgery in 2005...nothing at all for 3 months, should have been nothing at all for at least 6 months though.
I can sympathize with you there. Hernias limit what you can do at the time and as a result I always need to be aware of how much weight I squat with even now. I was very young when I had my operations but there is always the possibility of aggravating something again.

It didn't affect my training because I didn't start doing martial arts until later on.

About a years and a half ago I got sweeped and my toe got caught up in the mat. Not bad at first but got really painful the next day or so. I had to wear a special shoe with a wooden block in for a bit and I had to lighten up on my training.

It allowed me to take a week off of work though and that's always a good thing in my book. Gotta love those sick days and vacation hours.