Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

W...T...F are you talking about bringing up the Holocaust? I never mentioned that: of course it happened. And yes, of course the Japanese were responsible for a lot of horrors in China. So what? The FACT is Yip Man fled Foshan to protect his family from the Chinese Nationalists, who themselves massacred and summarily executed thousands, and whose Chang Kai Shek hated the communists more than the Japanese. The Chinese Civil war killed over 3,000,000 soldiers and uncounted (and covered up by Chinese historians) civilians. Mao is estimated to have killed 50-70,000,000 by some historians.

I don't think the Japanese have any right to complain that the Chinese complain too much, or to stop saying sorry. And I don't believe financial recompense is ever enough for those horrors, but it is one of the only legitimate ways of attempting to redress some of the balance.

Japan paid a billion dollars to the Philippines, Burma, Indonesia and Vietnam between '55 and '59 (more in today's money), and ten billion later. They paid $25 billion to China and Korea in assets, reparations and indemnity for refused reparations.

Plus, they have apologised a couple of times: here.

I would like my country to apologise more strongly to India, China, Palestine, Iran, Kenya, Iraq and countless other countries we ****ed up too, and go some way towards real investment in their futures too.

That doesn't change the fact that in this case, it was China's atrocity and it's high time they took responsibility for them and stopped blaming the Japanese every time they want to draw attention away from their failed policies.

I know it's only a movie, and it's like taking 'Red Dawn' seriously... but that piece of **** had a jingoistic effect on its viewers too, and that was 25 years ago.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    some of the most horrific images i have ever seen are of what japanese soldiers did to chinese women and children. not to mention the beheadings of chinese troops and civs.
    Sure. Again, so the **** what does that have to do with Yip Man fleeing the Kuomintang?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

idk you caught me on a bad day. i dont see the movie as being racist, stereotypical maybe, but racist no.

Ip Man Pre-Order

Anyone that says Sammo is past his prime is clueless. Sammo has always been at the top of his game and one of the most respected directors and choreographers in Hong Kong. That said, this is a role of a life time for Donnie who did top notch work in this film. It's a huge success and rightfully so - Yip Chun was involved, and between the direction, fight scenes, Donnie, Sammo and Wu Jing - all of it came together to make a classic on par with SPL or even The Killer. Anyone who doesn't believe it knows nothing about the Hong Kong film industry and the audience over there in Asia. For Wing Chun fans, this film is a treat. It can be pre-ordered now here:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

It was originally shot in Cantonese and this DVD, which is the special edition 2 disk set, is available in English subtitles. If you have a problem with movies with subtitles, God help you; you'll be missing a lot.

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/ip_man.html

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/ip-man/

Enjoy folks....

P.S. Wong Kar Wai stated after making his last film that he planned on doing Grandmaster Yip Man with Tony Leung in the starring role. However, the rights for the film expired after five years so Mandarin Films got the rights and the film was made with Donnie and Sammo. To avoid any conflict over the title, it was changed to simply Ip Man. Good for Sammo I'm sure who would have been uncomfortable with a long drawn out fight between the two as he worked with Wai on Ashes of Time.
    Last edited by Cat Nap; 01-25-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    To Ah Mui with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    The FACT is Yip Man fled Foshan to protect his family from the Chinese Nationalists, who themselves massacred and summarily executed thousands, and whose Chang Kai Shek hated the communists more than the Japanese. The Chinese Civil war killed over 3,000,000 soldiers and uncounted (and covered up by Chinese historians) civilians. Mao is estimated to have killed 50-70,000,000 by some historians.

That doesn't change the fact that in this case, it was China's atrocity and it's high time they took responsibility for them and stopped blaming the Japanese every time they want to draw attention away from their failed policies.
    I just watched the movie this weekend. Yip Man didn't flee Foshan in the movie. I think the whole movie takes place before that time period. There will be a sequel, but I have a feeling it will take place with him already in Hong Kong (since it supposed to include Bruce Lee).

That's exactly what is going on with the sequel. It's already in the works and will take up when he enters Hong Kong and his experiences there with Bruce Lee. It would have been too long of a story so they broke it up to two movies. Donnie Yen will resume the role of Ip Man: right now they're trying to decide whether to go with an unknown for the role of Bruce or look at singer/actor Jay Chou or actor Aaron Kwok - neither of whom have a martial art background, so I hope they go with an unknown.
    To Ah Mui with love.

yeah we were discussing that on the previous page cat nap. at the sheer disapointed in those casting choices, not because of the ma background just because, they suck.lol

Ip man- the movie

The Sammo Hung, Donnie Yen, Wilson Ip movie.

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It deals with the pre Hong Kong pre 1950 adult life of Ip Man and his challenges and shifts in fortune. A thoroughly enjoyable kung fu movie.Well photographed, well acted and well directed.

joy chaudhuri

I wish I knew how true to the real story it was. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Yip Man lose his first family during the war? I thought I read about this is some of the Bruce Lee bio's over the years.
    To Ah Mui with love.

its not that true at all really. the genral consensus is that this was a folk hero movie. nothing more.but bits of truth are thrown in here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Sure. Again, so the **** what does that have to do with Yip Man fleeing the Kuomintang?
    Not a **** thing
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

hey doug, ive always wondered what that is a picture of in your avatar thing.

is it a camera? or is it a cannon getting ready to blast me out of the water?

or is it something else
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

its doug with a camera. filming me getting my butt kicked by sexy nacho ninjetta's. but all this was too much and awesome for the small pic so he cut most of it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

i thought i saw some nacho cheese in there...

started watching this last night. got through part 3 then had to run and go to bed. but i really enjoyed what i had seen so far.

donnie is the sh!t