Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Wing Chun?

I am kind of mixed in my feelings in regards to getting your conditioning from classes.
    There is pros and cons for both.
    For the beginner, Classes more oriented towards learning are far more valuable, IF there is conditioning done on the side.
    Certainly certain types of conditioning should not be part of class, like IP, IV, strength conditioning and so forth, BUT "sport specific" conditioning should be part of class.
    You will never get as good a workout when you are learning in class then when class is devoted to conditioning, that is a given.
    I recall when I was learning to box all those many years ago, the coach would stop me during my bag work or mitt work to correct this and that, to show this and that, to work on this and that, in doing so, giving me an "unearned" rest.
    Of course the instructional part of Boxing and MT tends to be "more" personal than the typical TMA class.
    Perhaps a best of both worlds with a couple of "learning oriented" classes and a couple of condintioning orietned classes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I agree that physical conditioning is important. At the same time, I am paying to learn kung fu, not hire a personal trainer. Does this mean I don't want my kung fu classes to be strenuous? Nope. But in general, I want them to be focused on technique and application. I enjoy the conditioning we do in class, but in terms of my overall physical health/condition I see it as a supplement to what I do at home (in my basement gym).
    thats true. hopefully your sifu teaches you weird chinese style excercises that you would not normally do that are specifically designed to help you perform the techniques

Talking

Guys there's this thread on Wing Chun i'd like to share with you, i find it interesting though http://www.pragmaticmartialarts.com/...hp?topic=266.0