Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are bil jee elbows the most overused of all wing chun techniques?

"Loy Lau Hui Sung"

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edseas2 View Post
    ????

What I'm saying is that elbows are oftentimes grossly overused by folks who don't understand their application in the WC system.

Ed
    Agreed, but you also said:
    No - the only suggested application is when you are grabbed...otherwise elbows are much too slow and inaccurate and potentially put you in a very bad position and other techniques are far superior.
    And that is not the case.
    And that can almost be said about every technique.
    Besides if you trained with Gary I don't think you would say :

Yeah - ring sport, wearing gloves blah blah blah.
    About MT, Gary Lam has much respect for MT.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

No - the only suggested application is when you are grabbed...otherwise elbows are much too slow and inaccurate and potentially put you in a very bad position and other techniques are far superior.

Ed
    I didn't know what Gary Lam was referring to.

So someone grabs you and you elbow them in the head. You don't need that much accuracy IMO.

I think it's simple enough that it just might hurt them.

Read/you should know the kun kuit (look it up):

"Loy Lau Hui Sung"

Simply stated, 99% of the time that elbows are used they violate one (or more) of our core principles.

MT is limited itself by the weapons it can use because they have to wear gloves when they fight and yes, I know that Gary respects MT as he trained in it and we have great respect for ALL arts.

Ed

Read/you should know the kun kuit (look it up):

"Loy Lau Hui Sung"

Simply stated, 99% of the time that elbows are used they violate one (or more) of our core principles.

MT is limited itself by the weapons it can use because they have to wear gloves when they fight and yes, I know that Gary respects MT as he trained in it and we have great respect for ALL arts.

Ed
    Glad to hear, by the way, though most train the SPORT of MT, the MA of MT, Muay Boran, doesn't use gloves and the techniques are almost identical to the sport version.

Whose core principles? Not the WC/WT i've ever learned. Again, as long as your not flying in a la Tony Jaa with an elbow and respecting the range you are in, elbows are very effective, accurate, and only put you in a weak position when used improperly, like any technique of any martial art you "misuse".

"Loy Lau Hui Sung"

Ed
    Maybe we need to start putting these into Chinese for him to understand us.

because they have to wear gloves
    They wear gloves, but not elbow pads. And if they have trouble defending them while covering their heads with 16 oz boxing gloves, then someone without gloves will be much more open and susceptible to getting hit with elbows.

About MT, Gary Lam has much respect for MT.
    He does because he went to thailand and trained and fought with them. Somehow i dont think ed has. Hence the lack of appreciation for the art.

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Whose core principles? Not the WC/WT i've ever learned. Again, as long as your not flying in a la Tony Jaa with an elbow and respecting the range you are in, elbows are very effective, accurate, and only put you in a weak position when used improperly, like any technique of any martial art you "misuse".

Maybe we need to start putting these into Chinese for him to understand us.

They wear gloves, but not elbow pads. And if they have trouble defending them while covering their heads with 16 oz boxing gloves, then someone without gloves will be much more open and susceptible to getting hit with elbows.

He does because he went to thailand and trained and fought with them. Somehow i dont think ed has. Hence the lack of appreciation for the art.
    Excellent points.
    Especially the one about the gloves.

Incredibly sad that in your wc training(?) history you didn't learn the most basic of our core principles because, if you did, you'd know why we don't like to use elbows...also, I never said anything negative about MT and I never would...

Ed

Incredibly sad that in your wc training(?) history you didn't learn the most basic of our core principles because, if you did, you'd know why we don't like to use elbows...also, I never said anything negative about MT and I never would...

Ed
    Lets play devils advocate here, which core principles do you feel that elbows violate?

"Loy Lau Hui Sung"
    So tell us, how does that elbow violate this rule?

Simply stated, if you have such a low success rate at elbows, YOU should stop throwing them until you've learnt how to throw them properly. I use them quite nicely and within your precious rules, thanks!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

And you're suggesting that people don't get grabbed much in fights? Try going against someone who isn't so caught up in your little rule book - you'll often get grabbed, and you'll often use elbows without such a problem.

And slow? WTH are you doing so badly that makes your elbows slow? Ditto inaccurate! It's closer to your target than a punch from the ideal punching range, so you're less likely to miss. You really do need to practise your elbows more!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

FWIW its not what principles I think most elbow techniques violate, its what the founders of the system said. - as integral to our system as chi sao or sil lim tao or the jong.

"Loy lau hui sung"

As someone once told me "A lot has been lost in three generations." I guess that its true.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    BJ elbows are just for emergency if you get in trouble. Don't get in trouble, then its just you doing a beating.
    LOL, I find this unusual coming from you as I often agree with you... 'don't get into trouble'? That's right, we can all just knock em out straight off.

Personally, I think this BJ as an emergency form is largely daft. I mean, sure it's for things that go wrong, it's just that since we want to finish a fight in three seconds, things have already gone wrong pretty by then.

You supposed to unleash the devastating chun on them for three seconds then stand there assessing how wrong things are?

YOU: "Let's see, is it time for Biu Jee yet? That'd show..."
    THEM: Gadanga gadanga gadanga...

end of assessment.

FWIW its not what principles I think most elbow techniques violate, its what the founders of the system said. - as integral to our system as chi sao or sil lim tao or the jong.

"Loy lau hui sung"

As someone once told me "A lot has been lost in three generations." I guess that its true.

Ed
    Yeah, we read it the first time. So enlighten us: how does this tech violate the principles of loy lau hui sung or any other of your kuen kuit?

You have a circular argument here: if you throw the elbows from a stupid position they're wrong for the system. No ****, Einstein. Like I said, you need to practise your elbows more so you're not violating these rules!

"Loy lau hui sung"

Ed

Maybe you got a bum translation because there's no mention of elbows in that saying.