Thread: to all styles that favour kicking

Question to all styles that favour kicking

in my style we prefer the use of hands and have many techniques that distinguish a kicking attack and allow us to come in with our hands. It is for this reason that i would like to know whether kicking dominate styles have techniques that distinguish hand attacks and then allow them room to dominate with their kicks (which i imagine they do). So if so, could you describe how these techniques work.

thanx
    max power

Well tkd people don't even realize that they have hands, they don’t even block, they just get kicked in the head and go, "oh well I guess I lost a point, duh...". Well that’s my impression of Olympic style tkd anyway.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Use of BOTH hands and feet tends to be a more efficient way to fight.
    besides theres much more to martial arts than just punching and kicking.
    any kicking style that does not give any consideration to hand techniques isnt worth much to me. hand-techniques and that includes blocking and grappling even if the emphasis is on kicking , are important and ive known tkd schools to incooperate such. of course weve all come across those that havent, but those that were serious about the fighting aspect of thier art included such.

I believe that someone might have said this here already but let me say this again because I believe this to be true.
    Nothern Chinese Kung Fu depending on legs meaning leg kicks is a myth. there is an emphasis on legs but that emphasis deals alot with evasive techniques advancing, stance training , sweeps and in combination with other body parts to apply throws and joint locks. of course we kick but the whole nothern kicks southern fists has its place but it might not convey the total truth behind the arts.

I've always made good use of my feet, but usualy only side kicks or round house kicks, and the occaisonal spin kick as part of a combo, and never above the waist. High kicks are very telegraphed and can be defended against easily, and even turn out to lose you the fight if your opponent grabs your foot. Even in my years at taekwondo, I always used kicks as distractions, defensively, and only sometimes to score points. Most of my points were scored with my hands.
    Kicks can be quite powerful. The side kick is probably the strongest strike that the body can make.
    Last edited by KungFuGuy!; 12-12-2001 at 12:33 AM.

techniques that distinguish a kicking attack
    What do you mean by this?

As a general statement, I'd say we don't have "kicking attacks" or "hand attacks." We have "attacks" that could go either way depending on the flow of the moment.
    "All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet? "
    -----KC Elbows

techniques that distinguish a kicking attack
    We do not distinguish. More like a harmony of hands and feet. When attacking the two blend together for an effective attack, wether its striking, grabbing, kicking, sweeping...The concept is to flow it all together as efficiently as possible.