Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: apparently meat and fish dont make omega 3 and b12

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    Reverend,
    What are the differences between the Abbey styles and the Golden Ale?
    I don't know the actual classification systems used, but Abbey style beers tend to be darker (think in the amber ale to brown ale range) and thicker/maltier, as well as often being lightly spiced. As I understand it, most Belgian dubbels, trippels, and quadrupels are offshoots of the general Abbey style, which tends toward a higher alcohol content (a good quadrupel is a seriously powerful thing). If you can find New Belgium's Abbey (simply called "Abbey"), it's a good and relatively light introduction to the style. Lots of banana, clove, raisin, and nutty flavors.
    When you stop growing you start dying.

well, in my opinion, there are lower apes, great apes, then fantastic apes.
    the last ones are all humans and they are fantastic because they can make beer, drive cars, and send themselves into space.

the so called great apes can at best root out a grub from a log with a twig. Maybe they can pick the right coloured bean for a piece of treat.

Hardly worth calling them great is it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    The modern theory, meaning the theory that taken hold in the last decade, is that the brain developement was by twofold means.

First, high protein in meat provided the nutrition to permit physical brain structure to develop.

Second, man going upright/biped freed his hands to be able to manipulate things, which began wiring the brain structure (which was built on the protein nutrition) towards developing modern attributes that led eventually to reasoning, language, abstract thought, etc, of modern man.

Tools came on down the road, as man began to have abstract thought - essentially using an idea in their head to form something tangible with their hands.
    I understand it to be threefold actually:

1.) Brain size and size of social network...larger brain means the ability to keep track of more complex social interactions.
    2.) Omnivores, in many species, have larger brains due to the complexity of ranging and subsistence patterns...ie, more complex mental map and organizational skills.
    3.) With this increase in size comes a larger brain more metabolically "expensive" and dependent on more energy rich foods: this is where meat comes in.

However, we have to speculate on why it is that Neanderthal, our closest ancestor (or another branch all-together!) never achieved the type of cultural sophistication that humans did: they ate large amounts of meat from the archaeological records, had tools, had larger brains on average...and yet didn't make it.

The interplay off all the factors that gave rise to modern humans (at least the current theories): bipedalism, symbolic thought, group size, food consumption, is quite interesting and obviously unique.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I understand it to be threefold actually:

1.) Brain size and size of social network...larger brain means the ability to keep track of more complex social interactions.
    2.) Omnivores, in many species, have larger brains due to the complexity of ranging and subsistence patterns...ie, more complex mental map and organizational skills.
    3.) With this increase in size comes a larger brain more metabolically "expensive" and dependent on more energy rich foods: this is where meat comes in.

However, we have to speculate on why it is that Neanderthal, our closest ancestor (or another branch all-together!) never achieved the type of cultural sophistication that humans did: they ate large amounts of meat from the archaeological records, had tools, had larger brains on average...and yet didn't make it.

The interplay off all the factors that gave rise to modern humans (at least the current theories): bipedalism, symbolic thought, group size, food consumption, is quite interesting and obviously unique.
    yes, to be precise it is the neo-cortex portion of the brain that handle complex social information and abstract thought etc etc. And omnivorous creatures do tend to be dominant species because of the requirements of being omnivorous.

I think neanderthal were simply killed off through genocides in the broader sense and i think that in a short period of time, we'll find through the human genome project that neanderthal to some extent were assimilated into cro-magnon humans.

It's similar to the idea of alsations versus wolves populations. There are far less wolves and in fact wolves could go extinct but dogs, virtually all dogs are derived from wolves and changed through breeding and would not go extinct despite the wolves doing so.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, if not hundreds of thousands or more factors at play and they still are at play with us as a species and also everything around us. The generational impact of the advances since the industrial revolution began are only now starting to become measurable with some accuracy.

I think we are smart enough to solve the problems with which we are faced, unfortunately I know what a herculean effort it will be and how much stress that brings to human society globally.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

I think neanderthal were simply killed off through genocides in the broader sense and i think that in a short period of time, we'll find through the human genome project that neanderthal to some extent were assimilated into cro-magnon humans.
    Yeah, I tend to think that this will eventually be the outcome. I actually think the resistance stems back to Victorian anthropology and its legacy: the neanderthal doesn't represent the "ideal" human and so is a mongoloid variety that is considered lesser...many of the neanderthal characteristics were exactly those that led "scientists" to consider the various non-white "races" inferior.

That and there's still genetic work to be done.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i heard the word vegetarian is actually indian for "lousy hunter"
    yeah never heard that one before

but just throowing this one out there

vegan professional MMA'ist http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I haven't had beef, poultry, or pork in over a week now ( no, I'm not going vegetarian, I just haven't had a craving). I dunno... I feel kinda tired nowadays.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I used to eat a vegetarian now and then.

does this give me any karma points at all?

no?

the chicken gets it then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.