Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How should YOUR Kung Fu, look optimally?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol. tcma has methods as well which are included in iron training regimens. The thing i like about the tcma approach to this conditioning is that it is much more refined and does way less damage.
    describe...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I've often wondered whether hitting/kicking the "settled" part of a heavy bag is more effective than hardcore iron bone. Just for kicks, I do both. But sometimes they work against one another.

1--you often can't train the bag after iron bone--you irritate your skin a little and you have to avoid bruising. Plus, if you cut your knucks--it happens, even lightly sometimes,-- it really sucks when it scabs up. No more training the hands that week. The worst you can get from barehands to the bag is some skin irritation. Goes away by your next session anyways. ANd if you just wear handwraps, it's basically teh same. But when your hands are irritated, you don't do iron bone, because you're more liable to cuts, and the skin irritation isn't good with herbs.

2. The best part of kicking/punching the bad is you're working your muscles and toughening up your legs anyway for repeated blows. Esp. the shins.

3. Gotta take kicks to your leg to weather your thighs. Hard to train that realistically unless someone kicks you. Best you can do alone is to whack them with some numchuks...LOL.

To get the thread back on track......consider Ehsan Shafiq

I always thought this dude, early on, showed how your techniques should be used. Excellent counters and a nose for sweeps. You can tell he spent more time learning how to judge body positions and offensive tactics for countersweeps and countertechs, rather than drilling empty forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t79LvFY769o

He turned into a pointfighter and kickboxer later to demonstrate his versatility. But those early fights--yeah, how we should all train. Granted, he's relying on tournament tactics for his counters--high kicks, spinning kicks, etc. But he's also using them effectively.

He doesn't wait to work crappy kickboxing techs against karate striking. He's using iron brooms, backsweeps, hell, even 360 kicks to land on the ribs/lower back. When he lands, he's usually in position to follow up. Think how many 360 kicks youve seen land in TKD tourneys where a failed KO puts the kicker in jeapordy. He's got a nice sensitivity for angles of attack and defense.

That's practical training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0CIy9ZZEQE

His evasiveness and agility are something to envy--forms reinforce that, but I imagine he practiced ducking kicks and studying how to judge the heights of kicks for specific counterattacks, since he's not catching any of them via a block. Only comes from one-on-one kind of training.

I don't expect to become the next Cung Le or cagefighter. For the way I train, the arts I train, I think this guy's a pretty good model for how my techniques should look. "Only, I'm more offensive-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post

However, I didn't arive at formlessness without form. You can't throw away or transcend what you don't have. There is nothing remarkable about the way I fight. It doesn't look like anything. I could not have done this without first having practiced kung fu at fighting speed in low stances doing the same move 1000 times. The inner secrets were revealed to me by myself by doing horse stance for long periods of time. No one can do kung fu like I do because I don't have a way of doing anything. I have no expression or preference or style. I am my opponents intentions.

Andy? MAster Andy with the Judo katana?

I agree, you can't transcend what you don't have.

Say....like a point, or something arriving at common sense, or perhaps a life.

I intend to **** you up. So are you ****ed up? Or are you a f*&^up?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    describe...
    The indirect methods. They've been described to death here.

Of course, there are direct methods as well. heated urns filled with stones and thrusting your hands into them. Those have been described as well for the most part.

kicking trees, breaking, etc etc. These are all direct methods and akin to what is used in MT for conditioning drills by far too many. As far as I know, pros do not use these methods, but every crazy hack on youtube will endorse the dumbest regimens and people catch on to that action because they aren't patient enough to find a good teacher and do the method as prescribed.

the rope striking from the shown 2nd clip is closer to what the tcma use.

slow, low impact, long duration, hardening exercises.

If the path is accelerated in a sportive approach, mistakes can be made easier on an accelerated approach, which in turn leaves lasting injury or deformation.

Now, I'm not saying that is the case with all MT, because it's not, but I have seen guys who train it who do crazy stuff in order to condition. Too much hard force exertion for conditioning is not the correct in my opinion.

punching steel? = stupid
    kicking hardwood trees = good way to kill your nerve endings which is large damage for small gain.
    constant breaking = crappy approach

There are better ways, they take a little more time to develop the wanted conditioning.

Going to hard, too fast will get you injuries up the yin yang.

other than that, mindful practice in anything gains a profit!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    You couldn't tell that it was a martial art
    truer words...